Salary Cap: Free Agency Doldrums - Part VII | Taters Signs Rehab Contract with Pens. e6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Despite Shero's indications otherwise, I do not believe Rob Scuderi is the type of player you regret walking away, regardless of how much of his previous form he regains.

You can find Rob Scuderis, Robyn Regehrs, etc... easier than you can find any other type of defenseman.

I don't care how he rebounds. Let him go. The worst that can happen is he goes on to be a #4 defensive D and we find out the players we have can't cut it.

WHICH WE SORT OF NEED TO FIND OUT AT SOME POINT IN TIME. Year after year saying, "the Penguins have the deepest blueline depth in the league" is meaningless if that depth never turns into something.

Well sadly i will agree with your caps lock statement. You don't win a Cup because you have the deepest blueline or else we would have had 3 by now. A good solid defense works and Martin is a part of that, but if the right return comes - goodbye. I could say that about any player on the team. I guess minus #87/#71.

But yes... the best defense and best offense do not win Cups every year. The right team wins. LA/Chicago have, for years, proven that a well-balanced team is the best way to a Cup. Even the 09 Pens were a very well-balanced team. Nothing crazy, but well-balanced.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Uh yeah, that's the goal every year, not just this one. Just throwing out random numbers, if trading Martin now reduces your chances from 30% to 20% this year but increases it to 30% next year, 40% the year after, and 50% the year after that, then you'd be stupid not to make that trade.
Exactly. We've tried the "all in" year by year approach. It has gotten us zero trips to the finals and left the cupboards bare. It is time we tried building something and focus on what gives us the best chance to win a Cup, period. Not win a Cup this year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well sadly i will agree with your caps lock statement. You don't win a Cup because you have the deepest blueline or else we would have had 3 by now. A good solid defense works and Martin is a part of that, but if the right return comes - goodbye. I could say that about any player on the team. I guess minus #87/#71.

But yes... the best defense and best offense do not win Cups every year. The right team wins. LA/Chicago have, for years, proven that a well-balanced team is the best way to a Cup. Even the 09 Pens were a very well-balanced team. Nothing crazy, but well-balanced.

Sorry, I lack the vocabulary and eloquence to convey that point without kick-ass caps lock ;)

YinzAintBurgh*

So Preds get Volchenkov for a 1 year and we couldn't do that? Defensive D, shot blocker, grit, tough. Instead we get Ehrhoff and I am suppose to believe that makes us a better defensive team with his -32 last season :lol:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I stated that Martin could bring back a guy that could hopefully play top 6. Either an established player or a younger guy that is on the verge and hopefully could make the jump.

I realize Scuderi would literally be a dump. All that would do is set the team up to trade for a player and use the cap space.

Trading Martin, while leaving a hole in the d, opens up cap space and hopefully lands you a player that could slide into the top 6 in 1 shot. This is all under the assumption that he doesn't want to resign

But Martin likely gets you that winger without giving anything else up. If you dump Scuderi for cap space, you still need to trade away other assets to get the top 6 winger (for example Sutter+). That’s what I meant by it’s not that simple.

So the question is would you rather trade Martin for a top 6 winger, keep Scuderi, Sutter, and all of the prospects/picks?

Or

Keep Martin and trade away Scuderi and Sutter+ for that top 6 winger?

It’s a lot more difficult of a question depending on what the + is and whether Martin is willing to sign an extension. If you start throwing around Pouliot's or Despres' names, I might prefer the first scenario.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So Preds get Volchenkov for a 1 year and we couldn't do that? Defensive D, shot blocker, grit, tough. Instead we get Ehrhoff and I am suppose to believe that makes us a better defensive team with his -32 last season :lol:

Uh, not sure if serious ...

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Um, Ehroff did play on the worst team in the league. Volchenov is also slow. The guy is worse than Orpik, hell he is about on par with Scuderi.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Thats a fair point. Yes, hopefully he rebounds and has a stellar season. But thats just it .. hope. We hope that Maatta comes back and plays just as well as last year and doesnt slump. We jope some of the younger guys can come up and make a difference.

This is why Im nervous about trading Martin. He is a rock solid dman back there in case the other guys struggle.

Im NOT against trading him. Not at all. Im just of the mindset that we bide our time a little until the whoe lay of the land on D gets a little less murky.

Very very fair and logical thought to the whole situation. People complained about how we rushed to trade Neal and should have waited till later in the season, and now are asking to trade Martin before some of our Dmen ever come back.

YinzAintBurgh*

Um, Ehroff did play on the worst team in the league. Volchenov is also slow. The guy is worse than Orpik, hell he is about on par with Scuderi.

Volchenkov is tough. I remember him in that Pens/Sens playoff series. Blocking shots left and right. He's somebody that you want on your team come playoff time.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Volchenkov is tough. I remember him in that Pens/Sens playoff series. Blocking shots left and right. He's somebody that you want on your team come playoff time.

He has changed alot since then. Trust me and Devils fans. Nashville has taken him on as a reclamation project.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ehrhoff was good value. Would he make us a better team than Kulemin would if the right scoring wing isn't acquired between now and October? I doubt it.

I don't understand how you can possibly think that when Ehrhoff is ten times the hockey player Kulemin is.

Do you think us adding PK Subban instead of Chris Stewart would make us a worse team? Because that's the type of thing you're saying here. The gap between Ehrhoff and Kulemin in quality is absolutely massive.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014

Volchenkov in his Sens days may be somebody you want on your team, but he is not that player anymore.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I can't tell if this Volchenkov stuff is serious or a joke. Volchenkov was a great defensive D...7 years ago. Those guys age poorly and Volchenkov's been done for at least 3 years. He's not getting a contract. From us or from anyone. And he shouldn't, either.

Edit: Nashville signed him? Stupid, stupid, stupid

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

He's not that player anymore, just like Orpik isn't who he was in 2009.

I've always liked Volchenkov, but he's a mess now. He gets turnstiled routinely and he falls down for no reason. He doesn't throw his trademark big hits much anymore, because people just skate around him when he tries to step up.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can't tell if this Volchenkov stuff is serious or a joke. Volchenkov was a great defensive D...7 years ago. Those guys age poorly and Volchenkov's been done for at least 3 years. He's not getting a contract. From us or from anyone. And he shouldn't, either.

Edit: Nashville signed him? Stupid, stupid, stupid

1-year, 1-million. I don't think it's a big deal

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins
New numbers for new #Pens:
Thomas Greiss, 1
Christian Ehrhoff, 10
Nick Spaling, 13
Blake Comeau, 17
Steve Downie, 23
Patric Hornqvist, 72

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
What younger players who were once reguared as top prospects fell fast that maybe need a change of scenery? Connolly and Bailey come to mind. I haven't watched many Islanders games is Bailey that bad? Thanks.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd have been really mad if it was us. Volchenkov's what Orpik's going to be 4 years from now. Any ice time he gets is a problem.

I would have been, too, but the two situations are different. I don't think this really hampers Nashville's cap or blueline situation, right? It would have made a mess of the Pens.

He's horrible, I'm not disagreeing, I just feel like Nashville has more wiggle room for bad moves than the Pens.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA

So much wrong with this statement, but sure, I'll give it a go.

1.) You have no idea if/what we offered Volchenkov, so saying "we couldn't do that?" is disingenuous.
2.) We already have 1 30+ year old, shutdown, shot blocking defenseman, and over half the board wants him traded to make room for our younger guys.
3.) In the past 7 years, only once has he played more than 70 games - he's an injury machine, and it's only going to get worse as he gets older and puts on more miles.
4.) They are completely different players. Ehrhoff is an offensive defenseman and PP quarterback, Volchenkov is a stay at home, shutdown guy. It's stupid to compare them, especially their +/- of all things, but since you insist...
5.) The 2013-2014 Sabres were beyond terrible. Like, historically bad. 14 pts clear of the next worst team. The Penguins scored more goals in the 48 game lockout season than the Sabres scored in 82 games last year. Even strength, the Devils were ranked 7th in goals against, Buffalo was 24th. Which leads me to...
6.) Ehrhoff played on the worst team in the league, by far, so his -27 (not sure where you got -32) doesn't concern me. What I do like is the rest of his stat line over the course of his career - last time he played on a decent team (2010-2011 Canucks) he put up 50p (14g/36a). He's been on pace for 40+ pts every year since 2008 until last year, when he put up 33.

Now go forth with your new found wisdom, spread the joyous news to others who are ignorant of the grace and beauty of our newest savior, Christian Ehrhoff, so that they they too can bask in his glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad