Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I like this approach but some minor tweaks to the Tanev and RNH deals. I don't believe both of the players sent along with 1st round pick will be the package it is way too much. If a first is in the deal, then Brown and Zaitsev is an overpay. I can see 1st, Borgman, Bracco as the package for a player that holds a large cap hit that doesn't play full seasons. As for the RNH deal, I can see Gardiner going the other way with Edmonton picking up 25% of RNH salary, we may need to add a secondary prospect to deal but it wont be a straight salary swap. But our D with DeHaan signing should be:

Reilly-Tanev
Dermott-De Hann
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Completely agree with Edmonton having to retain on RNH.

As for the Vancouver trade, it might be a little much from us but the reasoning for my proposal is because, do you really want to be paying 4.5 million for a 3rd pairing. Zaitsev going back gives us some much needed financial flexibility if the other moves are to be made.

Salary Out-
Brown 2.1
Gardiner 4.05
Zaitsev 4.5

Total
10.65 million

Salary In-
Tanev 4.45
DeHaan 5
RNH 4.8 (20% retention)

Total 14.25

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Meh. Ego is ego. Some say it’s worth more than a cup. Olympics is a big deal. When your coach thinks you are second best when you are at the top of your game. I don’t blame a person for not going out of their way to play with them. Refusing to report after a trade or something is one thing. Exercising your right to fa or not to waive is another.

People are just mad at a player because their feelings are hurt he didn’t want to play here (even tho we didn’t want him) which is kinda ironic because they are blaming him for having hurt feelings
Oh, hey, it's always an individual thing, and it's always going to be dependent on the player in question, and their own desires and goals. I'm not slamming anyone for exercising their rights, I just wasn't a big fan of the analogy you used as a comparison, that's all.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Would love to see Tavares make it to UFA, and sign with the Leafs over the Habs for less money because he wants to win :laugh:

Montreal will desperately throw money at him to get that #1C

Johnny was visibly frustrated after missing a couple of golden opportunities last night. Gotta think he is tired of losing and as such can't see him selecting Mtl over T.O if the money is close. IMO I don't think Habs can throw money at him given the Price and Weber contracts. If they do, Johnny better plan to do it himself or rely on Price cause he is going to be in a fishbowl and the media there makes our media look like Bambi.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Completely agree with Edmonton having to retain on RNH.

As for the Vancouver trade, it might be a little much from us but the reasoning for my proposal is because, do you really want to be paying 4.5 million for a 3rd pairing. Zaitsev going back gives us some much needed financial flexibility if the other moves are to be made.

Salary Out-
Brown 2.1
Gardiner 4.05
Zaitsev 4.5

Total
10.65 million

Salary In-
Tanev 4.45
DeHaan 5
RNH 4.8 (20% retention)

Total 14.25

If you can make the RNH deal and Edmonton eats some his salary to make it a Bozak out, RNH in type of salary move. You still have the 4.5 million space made from JVR leaving, 2.5 million of Komarov' deal, 4.0 million for Moore, Fehr, Polak and Marincin off the books, and Gardiner's 4.25 million salary going to Edmonton!!!! This leaves 16.5 million dollars to absorb both De Haan and Tanev contracts!!!! Plus I don't see De Haan making more then 4-4.5 a season.

All in all you should have enough $$$$ with departures and trade of Gardiner's salary to fit everyone in and still have money to make some upgrades at your 4th C spot and extensions.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Would love to see Tavares make it to UFA, and sign with the Leafs over the Habs for less money because he wants to win :laugh:

Montreal will desperately throw money at him to get that #1C

I'd just be happy that an elite player actually chose to sign with us from free agency. You hear all these top end players that want to sign with the Rangers, Tampa Bay, etc... but rarely ever us.

Who knows what Tavares does but I'm hoping that trend starts happening. I want players to want to be traded here or sign with us.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
And if Tavares does go to Montreal instead it proves what type of player he is, only wanting the money. Listen in the end the Leafs will want players that will be here for the long haul and buy into the plan. Like Crosby\Malkin, Toews\Kane, Getzlaf\Perry, etc..... These tandems all took less to build a winner and a consistent one. If players like Matthews, Nylander, or Marner are willing to take less to assist in the plan. And Tavares is willing to take less to come home and be part of a winner....this is the only way that Tavares comes to the Leafs.

Look in Edmonton what happened because of 2 selfish players!!!!! Many steps taken backwards because 2 players couldn't coincide unless their egos were taken care of.

Lou needs to work some magic as he did in NJ to keep Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermyer, Elias and others together on cheaper deals and if they don't buy in...ship them out like he did for some like Holik and others.

Matthews, Nylander and Marner are about to feel the wrath of Lou, and if they don't watch out they may see themselves traded to hockey cities that will be perennial losers like Arizona, Buffalo and other teams by Lou raping them of all their assets and leaving them to play non-playoff hockey and playing with scrubs.

im not sure you can say McDavid was selfish, he is or will be very soon the undisputed best player in the game. It isn't his fault there is a hard salary cap limiting his earning potential in a billion dollar industry, he (along with a couple of other players) are worth more than the total max a single player salary possible (whatever that % is 15%? or something) and he didn't even take that. Its a fine line between wanting to help build a winner and getting paid what you are worth. He would of been getting intense pressure from the NHLPA to go higher with contract $$ and term, while pressure from the oilers to help them build a winner tough situation.

Last part about lou "raping" is absolute crap, if trading them he'd trade them for the best possible return and being a contender that wouldn't be prospects and picks so Arizona, buffalo are out. If lou is that vindictive that he would try and ruin a young player for asking for too much money we should all be very worried if he stays on as our GM. One of the more stupid hot takes ive ever read on here that last pargraph which is some feat

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
im not sure you can say McDavid was selfish, he is or will be very soon the undisputed best player in the game. It isn't his fault there is a hard salary cap limiting his earning potential in a billion dollar industry, he (along with a couple of other players) are worth more than the total max a single player salary possible (whatever that % is 15%? or something) and he didn't even take that. Its a fine line between wanting to help build a winner and getting paid what you are worth. He would of been getting intense pressure from the NHLPA to go higher with contract $$ and term, while pressure from the oilers to help them build a winner tough situation.

Last part about lou "raping" is absolute crap, if trading them he'd trade them for the best possible return and being a contender that wouldn't be prospects and picks so Arizona, buffalo are out. If lou is that vindictive that he would try and ruin a young player for asking for too much money we should all be very worried if he stays on as our GM. One of the more stupid hot takes ive ever read on here that last pargraph which is some feat

Was Crosby not the best player in NHL??? Was Kane not up there or still is at this point? My point is that these two players took less money being at the top of their game previously. So why couldn't McDavid? I understand that a market like Edmonton was taken advantage of by he and Draistle to keep them there. But why couldn't they take less so that they could keep pieces they sorely miss right now??? I don't buy this crap you state about a hard cap on a player...a player can want to win more then make more if he wants to play somewhere specific.

As for my last part that you say is stupid. The more you realize that the game has become a business more then ever!!! The more you will see things as such occur. You question that we should be concerned if Lou actually would do this to players??? You think Lupul, Robidas and Cowen thought they would be signed to be left rot on Robidas island?? You think Leivo and Martin aren't second guessing where they went wrong to be benched and not given a chance? OR when Kovalchuk signed his deal in NJ and Lamoriello found a way to jettison his contract out of North America.

In the end, Lou doesn't care who you are and what you are, if it doesn't include being part of a team or it doesn't fit into his plan...he will do what he needs too, to make sure that things stay as planned. Regardless if your McDavid, Matthews, Nylander or Marner!!!! That doesn't make the post stupid, it makes it common sense.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
been watching a few ilanders games and Tavares looks slow out there I know he’s a good player but to give him more then McDavid is crazy the game gets faster every year and with his age just going up how does he keep up

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well that is what is great about the Leafs' situation they're not desperate for a JT type player.

They can pitch it like "we want you to join our great crop of talent and help lead them to success" vs "we need you to be the guy to lead us to success". It's a good position to be in.

Exactly this.

Not sure that's true. In previous times sure but in this cap era. McDavid making so much money doesn't help the avergae player at all as far as I can tell.

been watching a few ilanders games and Tavares looks slow out there I know he’s a good player but to give him more then McDavid is crazy the game gets faster every year and with his age just going up how does he keep up

No way will we do that. Zero chance.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Was Crosby not the best player in NHL??? Was Kane not up there or still is at this point? My point is that these two players took less money being at the top of their game previously. So why couldn't McDavid? I understand that a market like Edmonton was taken advantage of by he and Draistle to keep them there. But why couldn't they take less so that they could keep pieces they sorely miss right now??? I don't buy this crap you state about a hard cap on a player...a player can want to win more then make more if he wants to play somewhere specific.

As for my last part that you say is stupid. The more you realize that the game has become a business more then ever!!! The more you will see things as such occur. You question that we should be concerned if Lou actually would do this to players??? You think Lupul, Robidas and Cowen thought they would be signed to be left rot on Robidas island?? You think Leivo and Martin aren't second guessing where they went wrong to be benched and not given a chance? OR when Kovalchuk signed his deal in NJ and Lamoriello found a way to jettison his contract out of North America.

In the end, Lou doesn't care who you are and what you are, if it doesn't include being part of a team or it doesn't fit into his plan...he will do what he needs too, to make sure that things stay as planned. Regardless if your McDavid, Matthews, Nylander or Marner!!!! That doesn't make the post stupid, it makes it common sense.

Crosby took the exact same % of cap as McDavid when he signed :teach:

it sure is a business and the fact you believe lou would deliberately send a player to some hockey outpost where they wont see playoffs tells me you don't understand its a business. Out of spite because they dare ask for too much money? ridiculous, as soon as he decided to trade them he would open up to offers and select the best offer possible even if it was tampa or anywhere

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If you can make the RNH deal and Edmonton eats some his salary to make it a Bozak out, RNH in type of salary move. You still have the 4.5 million space made from JVR leaving, 2.5 million of Komarov' deal, 4.0 million for Moore, Fehr, Polak and Marincin off the books, and Gardiner's 4.25 million salary going to Edmonton!!!! This leaves 16.5 million dollars to absorb both De Haan and Tanev contracts!!!! Plus I don't see De Haan making more then 4-4.5 a season.

All in all you should have enough $$$$ with departures and trade of Gardiner's salary to fit everyone in and still have money to make some upgrades at your 4th C spot and extensions.

I guess you forgot the bonus overages which will roughly be about 3-4 million, not to mention Nylander resigning for minimum of 6 million. Not to mention the signings of Marner and Matthews the following year. We're entering a phase now where we have to be extremely careful regarding salaries. Shipping out Zaitsev and replacing him with Tanev is a solid move, while shipping up Gardiner and replacing him with Dehaan would make us more solid defensively.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd just be happy that an elite player actually chose to sign with us from free agency. You hear all these top end players that want to sign with the Rangers, Tampa Bay, etc... but rarely ever us.

Who knows what Tavares does but I'm hoping that trend starts happening. I want players to want to be traded here or sign with us.

i'm hoping now that we're stable (and really really good) this will change

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Crosby took the exact same % of cap as McDavid when he signed :teach:

it sure is a business and the fact you believe lou would deliberately send a player to some hockey outpost where they wont see playoffs tells me you don't understand its a business. Out of spite because they dare ask for too much money? ridiculous, as soon as he decided to trade them he would open up to offers and select the best offer possible even if it was tampa or anywhere

Me pointing to an outpost was strictly a hypothetical but it definitely would be to a situation that wouldn't be as good as what the Leafs have going!!! I don't think that they would deliberately do anything to hurt the players chances, but in most cases a player is traded for higher end young players in return especially if its someone in the ilk of the top 3. Which would mean the Leafs chances would be far better then the team receiving player X.

I do believe Lou is a harder nosed GM then most in the NHL. I truly believe that. He has a plan and executes it his way. If there is something that he doesn't like he takes care of it, whether you want to believe that or not. He has to be having run a franchise like NJ for so many years where money wasn't a given. This being said, I also believe he is an astute business player in the league. He has the ability to convince players and ownership of things that most cant. I believe the total opposite will happen in what I proposed, but what I proposed is a possibility if agents and players play hardball with this guy. That's all I am saying!!!

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I guess you forgot the bonus overages which will roughly be about 3-4 million, not to mention Nylander resigning for minimum of 6 million. Not to mention the signings of Marner and Matthews the following year. We're entering a phase now where we have to be extremely careful regarding salaries. Shipping out Zaitsev and replacing him with Tanev is a solid move, while shipping up Gardiner and replacing him with Dehaan would make us more solid defensively.

no it's not. i get it's all cool to hate on Zaitzev, and ignore that he's just having a bad year due to a myriad of things that more than likely won't be a factor next year, but saying that Tanev - he who has never played past game 71 in his entire career - would be a solid move is just wrong.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
no it's not. i get it's all cool to hate on Zaitzev, and ignore that he's just having a bad year due to a myriad of things that more than likely won't be a factor next year, but saying that Tanev - he who has never played past game 71 in his entire career - would be a solid move is just wrong.

Tanev is one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Zaitsev, but Tanev would be a solid addition to our top pairing. Reasoning for trading Zaitsev is, do you really want to be paying a bottom pairing 4.5 million. I don't think so

member 147413

I think we take a run at Thornton and Kovalchuk on twin contracts. 2yrs x 6.25mil. For Thornton, it’ll likely be front loaded, similar to Marleau. For Kovalchuk, it’s a “show me you still got it” shorter than what he wants but likely more money.

I also think Tanev is a really good fit, but don’t think Leafs want to give up a 1st.

Management has shown, they like this core and wants it to grow together while giving us a chance to compete, we’ve added aging vets through FA to help our kids.

Hainsey has lost a step and could be pushed to play with Gards on 2nd pair, pushing Zaits back with Dermott.

Borgman is blocked and Brown has seemingly lost a bit of step, he’s still all hustle, but doesn’t seem as important as he once was. (He’s my favourite Leaf.

Brown + Borgman + 2nd + Martin for Tanev

Hyman (2.25) - Matthews (10) - Nylander (6.25)
Kovalchuk (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Marner (6.25)
Marleau (6.25) - Thornton (6.25) - Kapanen (0.865)
Johnson (0.750) - Vet FA (1.5) - Leivo (0.925)

Rielly (5) - Tanev (4.5)
Gardiner (4) - Hainsey (3)
Dermott (0.865) - Zaitsev (4.5)

Andersen (5)
McBackup (0.850)

That cap is just under 80 million with the cap rising, obviously we’ll need extra players.

I think there’s some wiggle room, I know Kessel is still retained, but all the money is a matter of a 100, 000 discourse here and there. It’s there job to manage the cap, not mine. I think acquiring these players are doable.

Armchair gm-ing done.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Most bonuses wont be achieved this season by Nylander and Matthews. So I am not expecting it to be as high as it was for last season.

Nylander may or may not get an extension at that amount. Total unknown at this point. But yes we need to take that into consideration. My bad.

But I still feel with all the UFA's coming off the books, and Gardiner being shipped out. You still have enough to do what you need to.

Take Bozak and JVR salary replace it with Da Haan and RNH with money retained from Edmonton. Gardiners contract is swapped with that of Tanev. Remaining non-returning contracts of Komarov, Moore, Fehr, Marincin, Polak and trading of a player like Martin is plenty to get Nylander signed and what ever else needs to get done aside from Matthews and Marner extensions. Remember cap is supposed to go up as well. Those can be handled in the next season. There is no rush to get them done this season.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think we take a run at Thornton and Kovalchuk on twin contracts. 2yrs x 6.25mil. For Thornton, it’ll likely be front loaded, similar to Marleau. For Kovalchuk, it’s a “show me you still got it” shorter than what he wants but likely more money.

I also think Tanev is a really good fit, but don’t think Leafs want to give up a 1st.

Management has shown, they like this core and wants it to grow together while giving us a chance to compete, we’ve added aging vets through FA to help our kids.

Hainsey has lost a step and could be pushed to play with Gards on 2nd pair, pushing Zaits back with Dermott.

Borgman is blocked and Brown has seemingly lost a bit of step, he’s still all hustle, but doesn’t seem as important as he once was. (He’s my favourite Leaf.

Rielly (5) - Tanev (4.5)

Andersen (5)
McBackup (0.850)

That cap is just under 80 million with the cap rising, obviously we’ll need extra players.

I think there’s some wiggle room, I know Kessel is still retained, but all the money is a matter of a 100, 000 discourse here and there. It’s there job to manage the cap, not mine. I think acquiring these players are doable.

Armchair gm-ing done.

Those numbers are pretty good. All fitting under the current 80 million cap. I just think there are better ways to spend Kovalchuk and Thornton money. Would rather have RNH then Thornton. And I don't think we should be spending money on another winger like Kovalchuk. Maybe a Maroon for 3.5 million a season is money better spent.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
i'm hoping now that we're stable (and really really good) this will change
Now that we're stable and really good, with a program in place in player development I hope we become a leader in breaking away from how the NHL does business with UFA, contracts with long term deals for players through towards there mid 30's etc. and trends towards how the NFL does it. The smart money is to lock up your young players coming off the entry levels you believe to be core players of the team to long term deals in the 5-8 range in years and get away from bridge deals all togheter. Bridge deals is what you should be giving vets in UFA 3-4 years max depending on player and more towards 2 year deals.

If you have young players you don't see as a core player long term but is vary good don't bridge him to hold on to him, trade him at his highest value.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Rielly (5) - Tanev (4.5)

Andersen (5)
McBackup (0.850)

Armchair gm-ing done.

I don't know if the league would allow it but the Brassard trade leads me to think it would be ok:

Get VGK/ARZ/NYR to sign Kovalchuk and trade him to us at 50% in November for picks. Have them sign a 2x 7 deal with as much of the money in the form of a signing bonus in year 2 as possible to lower their actual cash paid out.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Now that we're stable and really good, with a program in place in player development I hope we become a leader in breaking away from how the NHL does business with UFA, contracts with long term deals for players through towards there mid 30's etc. and trends towards how the NFL does it. The smart money is to lock up your young players coming off the entry levels you believe to be core players of the team to long term deals in the 5-8 range in years and get away from bridge deals all togheter. Bridge deals is what you should be giving vets in UFA 3-4 years max depending on player and more towards 2 year deals.

If you have young players you don't see as a core player long term but is vary good don't bridge him to hold on to him, trade him at his highest value.

isn't it risky either way? i mean what if you invest in someone young - but they end up being a bum until like. the end of that contract then they are really really good? I guess a part of me is just like, it's so good to be wanted, and before people didn't want us because we sucked. now people don't want us because our Coach is mean :laugh:

but honestly i think we're trending towards this now, and will be more of a reality come the new cba.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Connor McDavid 2nd contract - 16.67% of the cap when he signed.

Sidney Crosby 2nd contract - 17.30% of the cap when he signed.

So I guess Crosby was a selfish player until his 3rd contract?????

McDavid actually had a done deal for above $13m exactly 17.30% of the cap, but decided to leave a bit of $$ on the table, but continue going on your uninformed rant!

Do you know how much money Darryl Katz is going to make off of Connor McDavid, but it's' up to him to take less $$ and be a team player!

His 12.5m contract kicks in next year, so it had nothing to do with this year, the more likely reason they suck is because they've had the worst mgmt team for the last dozen years or so.

Do you really think shipping out Hall, Eberle and Schultz for way under value did not have any effect on this season??

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Do you guys really think that Babs and Lou want a player like kovalchuk on a young team? just curious

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Do you guys really think that Babs and Lou want a player like kovalchuk on a young team? just curious

They brought in 36 year old Patrick Marleau. Kovalchuk can still score. Problem is going to be how much money he wants and where he plays in the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad