Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If u think it’s subban. OK. But does babs agree? I thought he was pretty clear he didn’t want him.

I think spurgeon is the most likely. We will see

Spurgeon is definitely a potential option. He’s also exactly the kind of D man that Dubas likes - excellent puck movement skills and high IQ/vision

Tricky thing is figuring out what assets to move, especially given Hanks age and contract status.

I do wonder if AJ would tempt them

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If u think it’s subban. OK. But does babs agree? I thought he was pretty clear he didn’t want him.

I think spurgeon is the most likely. We will see

I thought Pesce was the guy... now I just don't know.

Regarding Subban... who knows... Babs has never really liked Subban, so if Babs is still here, it's unlikely that Subban is traded for.... but, will Babcock still be here... probably, but you never know.

But, chances are, Dubas goes fishing for an unheralded guy, whose stats suggest he can take on a bigger role, and none of us will have guessed who it will be.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Regarding Subban... who knows... Babs has never really liked Subban, so if Babs is still here, it's unlikely that Subban is traded for.... but, will Babcock still be here... probably, but you never know.

But, chances are, Dubas goes fishing for an unheralded guy, whose stats suggest he can take on a bigger role, and none of us will have guessed who it will be.

Yep I thought pesce too. Or Hamilton.

Looks like for better or worse muzzin—- Z will be our shutdown pair.

Rielly. Xxxx
Muzz. Z
Dermot. Rosen?

We really only need a steady Eddie type to play on the right with rielly. I wonder who it will be?

I could see Kadri for A Carolina D.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs - Red Wings
Tyler Bertuzzi
For
Jeremy Bracco, Nick Petan, 2nd

Leafs - Rangers
Brendan Lemieux
For
Connor Brown, Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen, Pick
For
Brett Pesce

Red Wings and Carolina have no interest in those trades. Carolina doesn't need any wingers anymore.

The Rangers one... ummm. I doubt they have any interest in Borgman... I don't know if Brown moves the needle for them...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli
FollowFollow @frank_seravalli
More
The #NHL announced today that Slava Voynov has been suspended for the entire 2019-20 NHL season (including playoffs) for unacceptable off-ice conduct. Voynov’s eligibility to play in the NHL will be restored (assuming good behavior) no later than July 1, 2020.

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 2h2 hours ago
More
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted Frank Seravalli
The NHLPA says it is “reviewing the decision.” Voynov has the option to have an appeal heard by the impartial arbitrator.

"IF" Voynov goes to an impartial arbitrator, I'd guess the one additional year suspension won't stick.

His contract was terminated by Kings, and it's set to expire at the end of this season anyway.

It's possible that he might be available on July 1st..... and we need a RHD. I wonder if they would even consider it?

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
With 2 corporations having ownership of the Leafs, theres thankfully a 0% chance the Leafs would consider signing him. And I hope management wouldn't want him on the team either.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Personal feelings about Voynov aside (and I assure you I’m not a fan), I’d agree there’s absolutely zero chance the Leafs, with the media market that is Toronto would try to sign him. It’d be a PR nightmare

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Blue Jays traded Osuna for this so idk why the Leafs would sign Voynov when they are both owned by the same people pretty much. Shame what he did because he was a good hockey player.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Either Pesce or Spurgeon are a good step.
Rielly/Pesce or Muzzin/Spurgeon with Dermott accepting a larger role paired with the other.
I don’t know if you can keep Zaitsev in this situation though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Either Pesce or Spurgeon are a good step.
Rielly/Pesce or Muzzin/Spurgeon with Dermott accepting a larger role paired with the other.
I don’t know if you can keep Zaitsev in this situation though.
Zaitsev would have to go out in that situation unless Marleau suddenly disappeared.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Tavares is really good friends with PK and we do have Jordan with the Marlies. It would be a good fit for him with the way we play.

As for Babcock he would have to get over it if we could ship out Z and get that big of an upgrade on the right side.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Tavares is really good friends with PK and we do have Jordan with the Marlies. It would be a good fit for him with the way we play.

As for Babcock he would have to get over it if we could ship out Z and get that big of an upgrade on the right side.

Jordan shouldn't be with the Marlies after this year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Subban has a 9 million Cap. A little more than Zaitsev needs to go out. Think high priced forward.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Subban has a 9 million Cap. A little more than Zaitsev needs to go out. Think high priced forward.
Subban's not the answer imo, he's a great player, but too costly. Leafs need D that can play D, they have plenty of offensive D men, they need to compliment them with stay at home D men who can skate ala Pesce.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Subban's not the answer imo, he's a great player, but too costly. Leafs need D that can play D, they have plenty of offensive D men, they need to compliment them with stay at home D men who can skate ala Pesce.
Pesce or Spurgeon make the most sense.
We want someone in that fits our need at the 4/5 million mark. Like when Tampa added McD.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
If PK was brought in with Zaitsev out I would assume we move Kadri as well and just plop Petan in the 3C spot until we get somebody better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
With all that talk about acquiring McDavid if he wanted out, I was thinking McDavid could carry Brown and AJ whereas Matthews cannot which makes McDavid cheaper (big picture).

AJ McDavid Brown (< $18M)
Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappy
Moore Goat Plug

Matthews/Nylander is $18.63M alone)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
With all that talk about acquiring McDavid if he wanted out, I was thinking McDavid could carry Brown and AJ whereas Matthews cannot which makes McDavid cheaper (big picture).

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappy
Moore Goat Plug

I would give everything not named JT/Marner/Rielly (although I’d give Rielly if I really had to) for McDavid.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Pesce or Spurgeon make the most sense.
We want someone in that fits our need at the 4/5 million mark. Like when Tampa added McD.
is Spurgeon that good defensively? I know he's highly touted, but I haven't seen him play much and when I have he didn't stand out (probably a good thing) he is pretty small though isn't he?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would give everything not named JT/Marner/Rielly (although I’d give Rielly if I really had to) for McDavid.

I agree but we are short on D as it stands. Many say they would not offer more than Matthews but they do not realise that unless McD says it's T.O. or nothing another team can offer more. For example, Sabres could offer Eich and Rienhart.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Hyman JT Marner
Marleau Kadri Kappy
Moore Goat Plug

if there was any truth to McDavid being available I'd be all over it. Mathews and Nylander for McDavid and Nurse? not sure on whether it'd be fair talent wise, but the Leafs would definitely win in the heart department. I can't see either Mathews/Nylander ever driving the net like McDavid does on a regular basis. By far the best player in the league today.

Reactions: Trapper and ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree but we are short on D as it stands. Many say they would not offer more than Matthews but they do not realise that unless McD says it's T.O. or nothing another team can offer more. For example, Sabres could offer Eich and Rienhart.
Well Matthews/Nylander would be first up and then we see where we are.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad