Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
agreed that will be a key is how they do plus Kadri's line has to win their battles. Top 2 lines saw each other off

The key is simple. Either the Leafs come out, play fast and hard, for the whole game, and they can win. Plus Andersen being good. We've seen them do that against Boston, and Tampa, and many other teams. When they play their game, at full effort, they are a top team. When they don't, they aren't. For whatever reason, it seems this team, top to bottom in the lineup, is either all in for games, or not. It's their effort and mental readiness that determines these playoffs more than anything.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
The key is simple. Either the Leafs come out, play fast and hard, for the whole game, and they can win. Plus Andersen being good. We've seen them do that against Boston, and Tampa, and many other teams. When they play their game, at full effort, they are a top team. When they don't, they aren't. For whatever reason, it seems this team, top to bottom in the lineup, is either all in for games, or not. It's their effort and mental readiness that determines these playoffs more than anything.

This pretty much hits it right on the head for me. If the leafs play like they actually give a damn for the entire series I am very confident, however for whatever reason the effort lately has been so rare I’m not really sure how this is gonna go.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Not that crazy about Kassian on the ice - I remember that dirtbag "hit" on Bolland that slashed Bolland's tendon - but this team is still too young to absorb a player with any latent or active off-ice instability like Kassian harbours.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Assuming Anaheim would say yes which is a stretch - would you trade Nylander for Rakell? The Leafs lose 3 years in age but gain over 3M in cap flexibility and only lose 1 year under contract. Rakell has multiple 30 goal seasons.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Assuming Anaheim would say yes which is a stretch - would you trade Nylander for Rakell? The Leafs lose 3 years in age but gain over 3M in cap flexibility and only lose 1 year under contract. Rakell has multiple 30 goal seasons.

This team is not lacking top 6 forwards. If Willie is moved I can't see the core piece coming back being another forward, and i doubt it would be a one for one. If they ice three 85 point forwards and three 50+ forwards next year that is huge offense for today's NHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I really just don’t see the motivation for Toronto here to make such a major trade to just save a few million in capspace.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I really just don’t see the motivation for Toronto here to make such a major trade to just save a few million in capspace.

Yeah .. I mean if Rakell was a LWer it might some more sense ... But still not the best use of Nylander as a trade chip

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

The difference in salary would be enough to keep a 4M defenseman on the roster instead of Holl.

Even then, how many teams flip core players for the sake of position?

Jones for Johansen. Hall for Larsson. The proposal was 100% salary motivated rather than position motivated.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Where is this D man coming from?

What's the acquisition price on Gudas, Tanev? What if the Leafs circle back on Pesce for Kapanen? If Kapanen is going the opposite direction for a D man then the Leafs can Kapanen's salary+the difference between Nylander and Rakell.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I saw the thread on the trade boards about Subban likely getting traded this summer...

He's expensive but with the right moves... maybe?

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I saw the thread on the trade boards about Subban likely getting traded this summer...

He's expensive but with the right moves... maybe?

I said Nylander for Subban with 1.5M retained but I don't know. It is a tough conversation.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What's the acquisition price on Gudas, Tanev? What if the Leafs circle back on Pesce for Kapanen? If Kapanen is going the opposite direction for a D man then the Leafs can Kapanen's salary+the difference between Nylander and Rakell.

I don't think Kapanen was enough to interest Carolina, and not a positional need. Their wings are strong enough now, particularly given Nino has played well for them. If they have a spot that needs improvement, it would be center, so we are likely talking Nylander. There are some suggestions, that Pesce is right off the table now, given he's played well for them, and they really don't need to make a move. Plus, he's their best defensive RHD, and both Hamilton and Faulk become UFA's before Pesce.

Bouwmeester signed an extension,
Anaheim traded Montour, so Manson is absolutely not available now... if he ever was.

I'm scratching my head wondering, who is legitimately available, who would work for us?

The Wild are beginning a front office shakeup, will they also make roster changes? Spurgeon?

Is the Subban decline a one season oddity, or a trend? I'm not going to pretend to know, but then that is Dubas area of expertise, looking at the numbers...

Our options are going to be limited here, and the best player, who is actually available, might not be our ideal choice.

But if we fail again to the Bruins, we are going to have to make changes on that back end... it's just who??? I'm not talking band-aid solutions, be we need a guy who can play big top pairing minutes, who is good defensively.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think Kapanen was enough to interest Carolina, and not a positional need. Their wings are strong enough now, particularly given Nino has played well for them. If they have a spot that needs improvement, it would be center, so we are likely talking Nylander. There are some suggestions, that Pesce is right off the table now, given he's played well for them, and they really don't need to make a move. Plus, he's their best defensive RHD, and both Hamilton and Faulk become UFA's before Pesce.

Bouwmeester signed an extension,
Anaheim traded Montour, so Manson is absolutely not available now... if he ever was.

I'm scratching my head wondering, who is legitimately available, who would work for us?

The Wild are beginning a front office shakeup, will they also make roster changes? Spurgeon?

Is the Subban decline a one season oddity, or a trend? I'm not going to pretend to know, but then that is Dubas area of expertise, looking at the numbers...

Our options are going to be limited here, and the best player, who is actually available, might not be our ideal choice.

But if we fail again to the Bruins, we are going to have to make changes on that back end... it's just who??? I'm not talking band-aid solutions, be we need a guy who can play big top pairing minutes, who is good defensively.

If u think it’s subban. OK. But does babs agree? I thought he was pretty clear he didn’t want him.

I think spurgeon is the most likely. We will see

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Red Wings
Tyler Bertuzzi
For
Jeremy Bracco, Nick Petan, 2nd

Leafs - Rangers
Brendan Lemieux
For
Connor Brown, Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen, Pick
For
Brett Pesce

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Marleau - - Kadri - - Johnsson
Lemieux - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Rosen - Liljigren

Anderson
Hutchinson

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Leafs - Red Wings
Tyler Bertuzzi
For
Jeremy Bracco, Nick Petan

Leafs - Rangers
Brendan Lemieux
For
Connor Brown, Andreas Borgman

Leafs - Hurricanes
Kasperi Kapanen, Pick
For
Brett Pesce

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Marleau - - Kadri - - Johnsson
Lemieux - Gauthier - Moore

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Rosen - Liljigren

Anderson
Hutchinson

Tyler Bertuzzi scores 21 goals and 47 points this year. He’s going to cost a lot more than an AHL star and an NHL scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad