Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kurtis MacDermid out of Los Angeles might be a Adam McQuaid type player but at a lower rate, #6 type defenseman. Not the worst stats in the world considering he's on Los Angeles.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Go back and look at the last 10 cup winners and one thing they all possesed was a veteran 4th line C and that 4th line was not a liabilty.

Caps has beagle, pens had Cullen, hawks had vermette, Kings had Lewis.

Now leafs need D 1st but Gauthier and that 4line are not built to play playoff hockey. They will get cycled all game long

4th line has been a massive flop.

In fairness, they did have a very good stretch at the beginning of the season and again once Ennis came back with Moore where they drove possession. The problem is that like many others' play dropped off in the back half of the season. I actually think Gauthier has regressed a little from beginning of season to end. It's fine this season, but we really do need some grit on the team somewhere and the 4th line is the easiest place to add that. Next year, Marchment and Gauthier should battle it out for 4C.

I fully expect Brown will get dealt in the offseason to Edmonton. I also expect one of Kadri, Johnsson, or Kapanen to be dealt, so there will be room for forwards and some cap space to bring them in or sign them.

Kyle Clifford would be a good grab for us in the short term. I also like Crouse. There are also many more options.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
In fairness, they did have a very good stretch at the beginning of the season and again once Ennis came back with Moore where they drove possession. The problem is that like many others' play dropped off in the back half of the season. I actually think Gauthier has regressed a little from beginning of season to end. It's fine this season, but we really do need some grit on the team somewhere and the 4th line is the easiest place to add that. Next year, Marchment and Gauthier should battle it out for 4C.

I fully expect Brown will get dealt in the offseason to Edmonton. I also expect one of Kadri, Johnsson, or Kapanen to be dealt, so there will be room for forwards and some cap space to bring them in or sign them.

Kyle Clifford would be a good grab for us in the short term. I also like Crouse. There are also many more options.

Brown-Kassian swap wouldn't be bad but Marchment is strictly LW, he's been playing on wing for the Marlies for a while now.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Simmons isn't the answer, he's on the decline, need to find a young player that brings that type of game. Oh and by the way Simmons will get paid, some team will give him too much money and too much term, of this I am sure.

Give him a healthy summer and pre season I could see him being a 20-20 guy.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kurtis MacDermid out of Los Angeles might be a Adam McQuaid type player but at a lower rate, #6 type defenseman. Not the worst stats in the world considering he's on Los Angeles.
Kurtis MacDermid is a terrible hockey player. I honestly think people just look up PIM's and size and say ooo we need this guy!

If you're using McQuaid as the standard that should tell you all you need to know. McQuaid is a bad #6/7 on a playoff team.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for adding toughness in the right situation, but they need to be able to play in your top 6 forwards or your top 2 D-pairs to make any kind of impact.

If you really want to go head to head with Marchand or Tkachuk types then you need somebody that is actually capable of playing against those guys. Otherwise they'll just get skated around and burned every time.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kurtis MacDermid is a terrible hockey player. I honestly think people just look up PIM's and size and say ooo we need this guy!

If you're using McQuaid as the standard that should tell you all you need to know. McQuaid is a bad #6/7 on a playoff team.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for adding toughness in the right situation, but they need to be able to play in your top 6 forwards or your top 2 D-pairs to make any kind of impact.

If you really want to go head to head with Marchand or Tkachuk types then you need somebody that is actually capable of playing against those guys. Otherwise they'll just get skated around and burned every time.

MacDermid's advanced stats 5v5 are actually pretty decent when you take into account the team he is on. I also strongly advise not using your 3rd pairing defenseman to shut down Marchand or Tkachuk, they're your #5-6 defenseman for a reason.

If they happen to be out there at the same time, you tell them to finish their checks on them and change when possible for the preferred match up.

I'd strongly prefer a guy on the 3rd pairing that can at least do that vs a guy that gets skated around and burned anyway and doesn't provide any physical element...have you not seen Oz, Marincin, Rosen and Holl? Yeah, fairly useless. I wouldn't mind McQuaid on this team either, I would actually like a guy that makes it unpleasant for the opposition and sticks up for their teammates. I have seen so many teams take liberties with our skilled players this year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Brown doesn't get traded for another roster player unless he is a part of a larger deal to fill a hole. Otherwise he's traded for prospects and/or draft picks. Similar deal to what Saad and Shaw were traded for by Chicago in the past.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Brown doesn't get traded for another roster player unless he is a part of a larger deal to fill a hole. Otherwise he's traded for prospects and/or draft picks. Similar deal to what Saad and Shaw were traded for by Chicago in the past.

Yeah pretty much.

I’ve been currently wondering if the Meafs may package him with a pick or prospect to get another stopgap RHD to give Liljegren some more time to get to be NHL ready

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Those aren't bad adds either. I don't dislike the swap of Brown and Kassian...I like the "psycho" element that Kassian brings.

McGinn missed a lot of time this year, 1 year at 1-1.5M in the bottom 6 is a smart add. Not sure what Hathaway costs to add.

All in for McGinn!

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah pretty much.

I’ve been currently wondering if the Meafs may package him with a pick or prospect to get another stopgap RHD to give Liljegren some more time to get to be NHL ready
That’s an option.
I’m definitely fine with Lili getting extended games with (knock on wood) no injuries in the A.
Could also be Oz again, or a UFA, or a Euro FA.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Those aren't bad adds either. I don't dislike the swap of Brown and Kassian...I like the "psycho" element that Kassian brings.

McGinn missed a lot of time this year, 1 year at 1-1.5M in the bottom 6 is a smart add. Not sure what Hathaway costs to add.

McGinn is a league minimum type of player at this point. That's what he's going to need to take if wants to play here.

He'd also not be guaranteed a roster spot.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McGinn is a league minimum type of player at this point. That's what he's going to need to take if wants to play here.

He'd also not be guaranteed a roster spot.

He came back from major back surgery and had a 17 goal pace (yeah sample size, he has only ever hit 19), if he's in your bottom 6 and gives you 10-15 goals with good board play and net front presence....yeah sign me up. I don't think that is a 700k player though either, someone else will go 1-1.5M on him if they have to hit a cap floor.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Go back and look at the last 10 cup winners and one thing they all possesed was a veteran 4th line C and that 4th line was not a liabilty.

Caps has beagle, pens had Cullen, hawks had vermette, Kings had Lewis.

Now leafs need D 1st but Gauthier and that 4line are not built to play playoff hockey. They will get cycled all game long

Not a liability.

Three of the top four Forwards players on this team, at GA/60 are Gauthier, Moore and Ennis. This group simply lets in less goals than anyone else. I will wait to see some playoff games, to reserve judgement further, but they are far from our issue.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Not a liability.

Three of the top four Forwards players on this team, at GA/60 are Gauthier, Moore and Ennis. This group simply lets in less goals than anyone else. I will wait to see some playoff games, to reserve judgement further, but they are far from our issue.

Another example of an advance stat not telling the full story. How many games recently has the 4th line got worked and been pinned for shits at a time losing the team momentum and then the next line has to take a D zone draw instead of working in the O zone. How many more D zone draws does the Tavares line have to take cause the 4th line got pinned. Boston's 4th line will cycle the Leafs 4th line and wear out whatever D pairing are playing with our 4th line.

So sure on paper the 4th line gets scored on less but the whole picture when you watch the game shows another thing. Watch how Boston's 4th line grinds down the Leafs 4th line and D pairing turning over pucks forcing the Leafs to defend.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Another example of an advance stat not telling the full story. How many games recently has the 4th line got worked and been pinned for ****s at a time losing the team momentum and then the next line has to take a D zone draw instead of working in the O zone. How many more D zone draws does the Tavares line have to take cause the 4th line got pinned. Boston's 4th line will cycle the Leafs 4th line and wear out whatever D pairing are playing with our 4th line.

So sure on paper the 4th line gets scored on less but the whole picture when you watch the game shows another thing. Watch how Boston's 4th line grinds down the Leafs 4th line and D pairing turning over pucks forcing the Leafs to defend.

Like I've said, I'm happy to watch and look to see how they perform in the playoffs, particularly against Boston...

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah pretty much.

Gudas?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Like I've said, I'm happy to watch and look to see how they perform in the playoffs, particularly against Boston...
agreed that will be a key is how they do plus Kadri's line has to win their battles. Top 2 lines saw each other off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad