Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Imagine Marner rejects the leafs best offer and the leafs go into draft day looking to trade him.

What does everyone want in return?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Don't think there's an acceptable one for one deal to be made out there.

Guys like Jones, McAvoy etc aren't getting moved.

I’m pretty confident Mcavoy would be moved for Marner very quickly. We would turn that down.

But you are right. I don’t see a young D man that would be moved 1 for 1.

It would have to be like picks etc and then trying to grab skinner in UFA.

Downgrade but gain capspace and assets

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I have been critical of Dubas when I needed too, and supportive at other times. Reality isnt pessimism in every post. Reality is taking the good with the bad. The problem is you, and a few others, like to repeat the chicken little notion that the sky is falling over and over again. It is tiresome and makes these boards almost unreadable.

This team is a top 5 team in the league, it has 2 of the top 10 Cs, a true #1D for the first time since Salming, and a true #1G for the first time since Belfour. Its a good time to be a fan of this team, so start acting like it.
I'll call them a top 5 team when they prove they can win when it counts that's reality, right now there a top 5 October team, nothing more. I'm not being pessimistic, just seeing things as they are.

Your opinion differs from mine and that's fine. See how easy it is to not attack someone's opinion even though it differs from yours?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'll call them a top 5 team when they prove they can win when it counts that's reality, right now there a top 5 October team, nothing more. I'm not being pessimistic, just seeing things as they are.

Your opinion differs from mine and that's fine. See how easy it is to not attack someone's opinion even though it differs from yours?
See that’s the thing. Let’s say the Leafs struggle from the start and just made the playoffs like BJs and Canes. During the season, half of this board will be why Babs is still not fired, why Dubas is still around, we should have trade Matthews/Willie/Marner or whoever that is struggling, let’s start the rebuild..... till they win a few games in Round 1 and these same people will start threads like Will Horton get a ring if Leafs win the Cup.....then be piss that the Leafs didn’t beat the President Trophy winner in the 1st round.
I love the Leafs like any true fans but some time reading stuff on these boards is depressing and just sad.
I am just glad the teams got talents and is build like a contender, it might not be next year or the year after that but they certainly have the players to do it.

horner

May 22, 2007
I hope your right, because if Marner's not on the team next year and Nylander is I'm checking out of here, and I'm not convinced it won't happen, that's how little I trust Dubas.

Watching Marner top 10 point producer for the next 10 yrs and leading another team to a cup.
Nylander 60 to 70 point producer

If we trade Marner ( it will be the worst trade in NHL history .

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
you make a good point, any ideas of trades that would give the Leafs a return that would make trading Marner a winning proposition?
It would need to be a top RHD or Top young RHD prospect + good forward (Colorado Makar+Forward)

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It would need to be a top RHD or Top young RHD prospect + good forward (Colorado Makar+Forward)
it'd have to be a proven player, RHD would make the most sense, I'm talking a Seth Jones or better RHD, so I highly doubt he gets traded for a fair return.

Reactions: Blueboy

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
People really do seem to think Trouba will be on the move this summer. I wonder what it would take for the leafs to get him?

Zaitsev+Kapanen+Johnsson could get it done.

I think that gives Winnipeg good depth and they could try and sign a 2nd pair LHD in free agency.

Trouba would be an unreal add for us.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
People really do seem to think Trouba will be on the move this summer. I wonder what it would take for the leafs to get him?

Zaitsev+Kapanen+Johnsson could get it done.

I think that gives Winnipeg good depth and they could try and sign a 2nd pair LHD in free agency.

Trouba would be an unreal add for us.
Winnipeg is in a worse cap situation then us. How would they afford all three of Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johnsson?

Trouba has also made it clear that he A) doesn't want to play in Canada, and B) wants a tonne of money.

We can check off neither of those boxes for him.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg is in a worse cap situation then us. How would they afford all three of Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johnsson?

Trouba has also made it clear that he A) doesn't want to play in Canada, and B) wants a tonne of money.

We can check off neither of those boxes for him.
They would have to let Hayes, Myers walk and possibly trade one of Perrault or Little. But Kap/AJ wont be too expensive and Zaitsev is cheaper than Troubas current contract. They could make it work even with the Connor, Laine contracts up.
As for the Canada thing, I've heard that too but not sure if its 100% accurate.
If we are moving Zaitsev, Kap and AJ we could afford to sign Trouba to an 8 million dollar contract. I would hope it would be closer to 7 though.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
They would have to let Hayes, Myers walk and possibly trade one of Perrault or Little. But Kap/AJ wont be too expensive and Zaitsev is cheaper than Troubas current contract. They could make it work even with the Connor, Laine contracts up.
As for the Canada thing, I've heard that too but not sure if its 100% accurate.
If we are moving Zaitsev, Kap and AJ we could afford to sign Trouba to an 8 million dollar contract. I would hope it would be closer to 7 though.

As a fan of both teams......I doubt you would raise any interest with that offer amongst Jets fans or Chevy himself. Here's why, if we assume Myers is pushed out the door and Trouba is traded......the Jets only needs are dynamic 2C and top 4 RHD. Absolutely the last thing the Jets need is more wingers......Jets don't have enough room for all the NHL wingers they have now. As far as Zaitsev goes.....personally I don't see him filling any needs either, but you might see it differently. Jets will either trade Trouba via trade/sign deal or keep him as their own rental for one more big push if no trade/sign deal is offered.

Rumours are Eastern based US teams of Rangers, Wings, Panthers, Flyers or Bolts. Recently a lot of talk about the Rangers preparing a significant offer for him. Personally I'm expecting Trouba to return largely futures with the main piece being a good young 2C prospect or current 2C roster player. Then a Ehlers/Connor converted into a youngish top 4 RHD. Expecting a bit of a retooling year for the Jets after a couple big trades and prospects developing.

PS expecting Trouba contract to start with a 7.........

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Watching Marner top 10 point producer for the next 10 yrs and leading another team to a cup.

Hopefully Dubas can admit his mistakes instead of doubling down on them.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Due to our crucncy coming (both cap and roster) I see some players being dealt for sure. For next year we could have these guys all pushing:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Brown
Mikeyhev-Petan-Korshkov

Marchment(hits everything, depending on coach may want)-Brooks(motor)-Bracco
Timashov (next Moore IMO)-Engvall(LW or C and size)-Carcone(needs waivers and similar to timashov)

*everyone bolded I see seriously worthy of spots, with the rest being dark horses due to certain factors, and that's before any free agent signings, or even more surprises or guys coming back in trades.

So my question is, for this list of players can posters give offers they'd take for certain players I'm going to list?

Johnsson
Kapanen
Kadri
Nylander
Brown
Marleau
*any of the depth guys
-----------
Zaitsev
-----------
Sparks

Just wondering on value

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Due to our crucncy coming (both cap and roster) I see some players being dealt for sure. For next year we could have these guys all pushing:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Brown
Mikeyhev-Petan-Korshkov

Marchment(hits everything, depending on coach may want)-Brooks(motor)-Bracco
Timashov (next Moore IMO)-Engvall(LW or C and size)-Carcone(needs waivers and similar to timashov)

*everyone bolded I see seriously worthy of spots, with the rest being dark horses due to certain factors, and that's before any free agent signings, or even more surprises or guys coming back in trades.

So my question is, for this list of players can posters give offers they'd take for certain players I'm going to list?

Johnsson
Kapanen
Kadri
Nylander
Brown
Marleau
*any of the depth guys
-----------
Zaitsev
-----------
Sparks

Just wondering on value

Personally --
Johnsson - early 2nd and a small +
Kapanen - late 1st, maybe a small +
Kadri - really hard to move Kadri right now, we have no centre depth. I guess mid-1st + replacement forward (preferably a 3C)
Nylander - don't want to move him
Brown - underrated around here, he's a dump-and-chase/cycle player who needs the right linemates. value is a 2nd, might get traded for a 3rd because of cap constraints
Marleau - a Montreal Canadiens jersey (both have negative value). With due respect to a future HoF'er, that's simply the reality now.
*any of the depth guys
-----------
Zaitsev - "... or best offer"
-----------
Sparks - idk why he would be traded really? If Leafs decide to go with a different back-up, they just keep Sparks and send him back to the Marlies.

(Incidentally, don't see the point at all of moving out young forwards for a d-man. We already have cap constraints to the point that we can't sign our own players. If we're going to move out players to make cap space, do it for futures, and then re-sign Gardiner, who Mirtle recently suggested was willing to re-up for five and change.)

Reactions: hockeynorth

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

this is quite dramatic. Every player has a salary limit that makes sense, if he asks for an unreasonable amount he ain't winning any cups here

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Personally --
Johnsson - early 2nd and a small +
Kapanen - late 1st, maybe a small +
Kadri - really hard to move Kadri right now, we have no centre depth. I guess mid-1st + replacement forward (preferably a 3C)
Nylander - don't want to move him
Brown - underrated around here, he's a dump-and-chase/cycle player who needs the right linemates. value is a 2nd, might get traded for a 3rd because of cap constraints
Marleau - a Montreal Canadiens jersey (both have negative value). With due respect to a future HoF'er, that's simply the reality now.
*any of the depth guys
-----------
Zaitsev - "... or best offer"
-----------
Sparks - idk why he would be traded really? If Leafs decide to go with a different back-up, they just keep Sparks and send him back to the Marlies.

(Incidentally, don't see the point at all of moving out young forwards for a d-man. We already have cap constraints to the point that we can't sign our own players. If we're going to move out players to make cap space, do it for futures, and then re-sign Gardiner, who Mirtle recently suggested was willing to re-up for five and change.)

Gardiner is not worth 5 and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad