Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Trouba says he would sign here would everybody be okay with a deal like this?

Trouba
Lowry
2nd round

Nylander
Kadri

As a fan who follows both the Jets & Leafs, the only way the Jets would consider that trade of if they're confident Nylander can play 2C........otherwise it doesn't fill any of the Jets needs. Cap wise, prerequisite would require a couple trades that are going happen anyways (Kulikov & MP) and possibly one larger trade to convert a Ehlers (just an example) into a top 4 RHD & applying cap space where critical.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For some odd reason the contract the player signs is a direct reflection of his talent level.

Saying Marner is a 8.5-9mil player is not an insult to him. Yes, Matthews made more, Matthews is injured more....but Matthews is also a C and only a handful of players actually got more goals than him over the past 3 yrs despite missing like 45games or so.
These kids all play for the Leafs.
On top of that, is it really a slight to Marner if he signs a 9mil deal if Boeser is signs for 7mil, Aho signs for 8mil, Laine signs for 8.5mil and Point signs for 8.5mil?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
For some odd reason the contract the player signs is a direct reflection of his talent level.

Saying Marner is a 8.5-9mil player is not an insult to him. Yes, Matthews made more, Matthews is injured more....but Matthews is also a C and only a handful of players actually got more goals than him over the past 3 yrs despite missing like 45games or so.
These kids all play for the Leafs.
On top of that, is it really a slight to Marner if he signs a 9mil deal if Boeser is signs for 7mil, Aho signs for 8mil, Laine signs for 8.5mil and Point signs for 8.5mil?

Marner thinks he’s the best player on the team and he will want to be paid the most.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Forwards 2019/20
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kadri-Bracco
Mikheyev-Marleau-Korshkov
Gauthier + vet signing

I would make the lineup like this, with Brown traded and Kap dealt. I originally had Marleau gone but I know some posters will say how so I’ll put him at 4C even though I don’t think he would play there and I want a different 4C then what we have in the system. Gauthier I’d be fine with though just not ecstatic. I want a vet depth winger as well.

Defence:
Rielly-Trade (using returns from Kap + Brown bring in a top 4 RD, like a Colin Miller who is just an example)
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Liljegren
Hainsey

So I would trade Z while his value isn’t terrible, even though i personally don’t mind him and id definitely look at bringing in a RD. I’d bring back Hainsey as a depth D just in case and call up Rosen and Liljegren.

Goalies:
Andersen
Free agent

Find a vet G to play the 2 spot in free agency.

I know this would be a rookie heavy lineup but it’s part of the cycle and you’re adding a lot of depth and things were missing into this lineup, and I also do want Keefe as coach as I feel he’d maximize this lineup. While Hyman is out have all the wingers draw up one slot higher.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Marner is entitled to fight for every penny, unfortunately somewhere we reach a breaking point cap wise and bodies are going to be thrown overboard

He wants to be careful he doesn't force management to make him one of those bodies

He will never be one of those bodies.
If the leafs are forced to get rid of one of their top four highest paid forwards

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander

You boy Nylander will go way way before Marner and that’s 100 per cent

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He will never be one of those bodies.
If the leafs are forced to get rid of one of their top four highest paid forwards

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander

You boy Nylander will go way way before Marner and that’s 100 per cent
I hope your right, because if Marner's not on the team next year and Nylander is I'm checking out of here, and I'm not convinced it won't happen, that's how little I trust Dubas.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
From watching the canes this playoffs. Slavin is an absolute monster. He is their best D by far.

Pesce looks good but not unreal. Had a lot of wandering moments. Hamilton looked like he wanted to crawl under the covers instead of go into the corners.

From the few games I saw. Faulk looked great in his zone. Wouldn’t mind him even though he has been pretty maligned recently.

He stood up His man. Stopped the cycle and competed hard. I wonder if Carolina wants to keep the band together now

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would almost pity Nylander at that point. Almost.
I think the little prima donna is figuring out that it was easy to school Dubas and get that contract, living up to it, not so much. Heavy lies the crown............

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would anyone here do either of these deals?

Kap for De haan(4.5 million cap hit)

Kap for Faulk+buffalo 2nd.

De haan is a LHD but is a quality player who would help our defense out. Faulk is a RHD and only has 1 year on his deal left. We would need to dump zaitsev right away following this deal. Would try and see if a team gives any value for Zaitsev otherwise I'd trade a top 3 protected 2020 west to get rid of him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would anyone here do either of these deals?

Kap for De haan(4.5 million cap hit)

Kap for Faulk+buffalo 2nd.

De haan is a LHD but is a quality player who would help our defense out. Faulk is a RHD and only has 1 year on his deal left. We would need to dump zaitsev right away following this deal. Would try and see if a team gives any value for Zaitsev otherwise I'd trade a top 3 protected 2020 west to get rid of him.

I like CDH, but not at 4.5M.

I would do that for Faulk, but I doubt CAR would include the 2nd rounder. Frankly, I think Justin Faulk for Kasperi Kapanen would be an interesting deal, but really only makes our cap situation worse, as I doubt Kapanen will make even close to the 4.8M Faulk makes.

We also need to consider that this deep run by Carolina may turn them off from making any drastic changes. Adding Nino has helped them immensely. Svech is only getting better etc. It's possible they would still target a forward, but it's possible they hold off on anything drastic and possibly wait until the deadline to see where they are at.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I like CDH, but not at 4.5M.

I would do that for Faulk, but I doubt CAR would include the 2nd rounder.
Faulk is a UFa in a year. If not a 2019 2nd rounder perhaps turn it into a conditional 2020 2nd rounder. If Faulk re signs with the leafs then no pick. If he walks next year we get their 2020 2nd. Not sure though if conditional picks get traded often a year before the player is set to become a UFA. Most often those picks are for trade deadline acquisitions.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You can go join TWS for all I care
Tell me how you really feel, it’s a crime around here to have a difference of opinion, carry on with your rose coloured glasses narrative, wishing it doesn’t make it so, the world runs on reality not wishful thinking.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Tell me how you really feel, it’s a crime around here to have a difference of opinion, carry on with your rose coloured glasses narrative, wishing it doesn’t make it so, the world runs on reality not wishful thinking.

I have been critical of Dubas when I needed too, and supportive at other times. Reality isnt pessimism in every post. Reality is taking the good with the bad. The problem is you, and a few others, like to repeat the chicken little notion that the sky is falling over and over again. It is tiresome and makes these boards almost unreadable.

This team is a top 5 team in the league, it has 2 of the top 10 Cs, a true #1D for the first time since Salming, and a true #1G for the first time since Belfour. Its a good time to be a fan of this team, so start acting like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad