Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Marleau has a NMC and it doesnt sound like he's interested to go to a team like NJ. He wants to be on a contender.
I think there's a few limited options out there but like you said... that NMC...

If I'm the Devils though... I definitely wouldn't mind taking Marleau on... only 1 year left on his deal... there's no risk

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Probably only to SJ. But who knows, maybe he'd accept a trade to another contender. Question is, who the hell would want him?
how do you predict a contender anymore... especially after what happened to Tampa...
personally... I'm retiring from making hockey predictions..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They just discussed it on overdrive. McLennan and Jeff both said they didn’t expect marleau back.

Hayes said “we’ll its up to him if he doesn’t want to retire they can’t do anything”

Noodles kinda smirked and said “ya there is some flexibility and creativity there”.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Marleau will come up with an injury announcement and be jettisoned to Robidas Island. It will state that he hurt his back in the 7th game of the playoffs. He will still get paid, be part of the Leafs organization still in some compacity but his contract can and will be buried. Him retiring does nothing for the Leafs as they still will have to deal his cap hit. He will mysteriously be injured.

Remember what happened to the back-diving contracts? The team that moved the back-diving contract still held some of contract even if the player was traded.

To combat teams continuing to front-load contracts, the NHL implemented salary cap recapture penalties. This system punishes teams for lengthening contracts with low-salary seasons in order to lower the cap hit during prime years by issuing a salary cap charge if the player retires prior to the end of the contract, thereby negating the years that lowered his cap hit. For example, it would impact Nashville if Weber retires even though he doesn't play for Nashville anymore.

I can see that happening to the Robidas Island routine. The league doesn't like organizations that circumvent the rules and that find loopholes. And they can and have done things retroactively that hurt those organizations that do such things. I can't see a lot of the small market teams sitting idly through this without saying anything. I'd think there will be complaints if this occurs that could also help force a change in the rules.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They just discussed it on overdrive. McLennan and Jeff both said they didn’t expect marleau back.

Hayes said “we’ll its up to him if he doesn’t want to retire they can’t do anything”

Noodles kinda smirked and said “ya there is some flexibility and creativity there”.

I mean that's been the speculation since h signed the deal.

Would make things much easier if it happened but I won't hold my breath

Reactions: Mad hatter

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Devils have unlimited cap space, new owners... they won the lottery, Hughes will give them a nice little jump start... very young team, need a vet... and very weak on the wings... I think Shero will be very busy this summer....
imo they gladly take Marleau... maybe even give up something decent in return..
Leafs cap problems... almost solved...

the cap situation ain't that bad imo..

Depends on Marleau and whether he'd waive. He is in control of his own destiny.

And the team giving up something in a Marleau trade will be Toronto. No team is going to do us a favour. The other team will extract something from this situation.

Last edited:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Depends on Marleau and whether he'd waive. He is in control of his own destiny.

And the team giving up something in a Marleau trade will be Toronto. No team is going to do us a favour. They will extract something from this situation.
agreed
and by "decent return"... I mean cap space
as a Devil fan, would I take Marleau on for free?... obviously other than cap space... which the Devils have plenty of.... absolutely... but it's up to Marleau

Last edited:
Reactions: Magic Man

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I would like a Kadri replacement. Any available third line centres that can PK and are more defensively responsible than Naz is? This team could take the loss offensively if the guy we bring in can take a faceoff when we're down a man so we don't have to trot Hyman there to get his lunch eaten.

There's Derek Stepan from Arizona but he's stupidly expensive. Would only want if Arizona retained salary.

There's Radek Faksa in Dallas, but he'd be a pure rental, and has a career high of 33 points. At least he's above 50% on the dot shorthanded.

There's Cirelli in Tampa but he's very young, and it's doubtful Tampa would want to move on from a player on his ELC given their own impending cap crunch. Yanni Gourde played a ton on their PK to, but despite being listed at C he didn't take a lot of faceoffs, and when he did short-handed he got beat a ton.

Travis Zajac is a pro but he's 33 and has a cap hit about a million dollars higher than Kadri. He's also a favourite in NJ and they likely won't want to part with him.

Either way, our PK was a problem this year ranking in the bottom half of the league during the regular season, and was historically bad in the playoffs (why does this franchise always have to be on the wrong side of history). I'd welcome a straight across trade for Kadri for someone who can reliably PK. Because right now, our centre who played the most on the PK was Tavares, getting just over 16 minutes over the course of 82 games.

Also would be good to have someone we can count on to, y'know, actually play in the post-season and won't take himself out of the series.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I would like a Kadri replacement. Any available third line centres that can PK and are more defensively responsible than Naz is? This team could take the loss offensively if the guy we bring in can take a faceoff when we're down a man so we don't have to trot Hyman there to get his lunch eaten.

There's Derek Stepan from Arizona but he's stupidly expensive. Would only want if Arizona retained salary.

There's Radek Faksa in Dallas, but he'd be a pure rental, and has a career high of 33 points. At least he's above 50% on the dot shorthanded.

There's Cirelli in Tampa but he's very young, and it's doubtful Tampa would want to move on from a player on his ELC given their own impending cap crunch. Yanni Gourde played a ton on their PK to, but despite being listed at C he didn't take a lot of faceoffs, and when he did short-handed he got beat a ton.

Travis Zajac is a pro but he's 33 and has a cap hit about a million dollars higher than Kadri. He's also a favourite in NJ and they likely won't want to part with him.

Either way, our PK was a problem this year ranking in the bottom half of the league during the regular season, and was historically bad in the playoffs (why does this franchise always have to be on the wrong side of history). I'd welcome a straight across trade for Kadri for someone who can reliably PK. Because right now, our centre who played the most on the PK was Tavares, getting just over 16 minutes over the course of 82 games.

Also would be good to have someone we can count on to, y'know, actually play in the post-season and won't take himself out of the series.

Adam Lowry from the Jets. Young, big and signed cheaper than Kadri and very good defensively.

Reactions: Budsfan

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Adam Lowry from the Jets. Young, big and signed cheaper than Kadri and very good defensively.

I thought of him. My biggest concerns are that his lack of offence may be too bad for the third line, and that Winnipeg's PK was worse than ours so how good is he really?

To argue with myself, having guys like Kapanen/Johnsson and potentially Bracco flanking him may help mitigate his lack of offense, and Winnipeg's poor PK may be more of an indictment on the organization as a whole than just him.

Lowry's advanced stats are also worse than Kadri's, so that could cause some concern.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I thought of him. My biggest concerns are that his lack of offence may be too bad for the third line, and that Winnipeg's PK was worse than ours so how good is he really?

To argue with myself, having guys like Kapanen/Johnsson and potentially Bracco flanking him may help mitigate his lack of offense, and Winnipeg's poor PK may be more of an indictment on the organization as a whole than just him.

Lowry's advanced stats are also worse than Kadri's, so that could cause some concern.

I think he hasn’t hit his peak yet, has some room to grow offensively. He’s used in shutdown situations

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
agreed

as a Devil fan, would I take Marleau on for free?...

OK. Not sure your GM and organization feel the same way, but stranger things have happened I guess.

As an example, look at what Arizona has done with this leverage in recent (somewhat) similar situations.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Marleau has apparently been pretty critical of himself as of late, and I dont think it would be exactly shocking if he were to hang up the skates this offseason.

Hes a gamer, so if he doesnt believe he can contribute the way hes being paid, he may indeed retire.

Reactions: Budsfan and rumman

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What if Dubas convinced Karlsson to take a one year deal to play with a stacked team and bump up his stats in order to get a pay day and a chance at a cup.

Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner9.95
Kadri4.5Matthews11.634Bracco0.843
Moore0.775Nylander6.963Kapanen2.5
Engvall0.925Gauthier0.675Brown2.1
Ennis0.75
Rielly5Karlsson5
Muzzin4Zaitsev4.5
Dermott0.864Liljegren0.895
Rosen0.75Holl0.675
Andersen5
Kessel1.2
Total Cap82.749
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
I think since we have 40 mil tied up to 4 forwards, we should allocate 30 mil on Defense. The rest of the forwards should be from the Marlies and goalies should be 6-7 mil combined.

Nylander Tavares Marner
Brooks Matthews Bracco
Moore Gauthier Ennis
Timashov Petan Engvall

Rielly Karlsson
Muzzin Stralman
Gardiner Dermott

Andersen
Sparks

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Marleau has apparently been pretty critical of himself as of late, and I dont think it would be exactly shocking if he were to hang up the skates this offseason.

Hes a gamer, so if he doesnt believe he can contribute the way hes being paid, he may indeed retire.

That is the best hope/path that we have.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
We need a fourth line that can kill penalties and be a shutdown line. that way our other 3 lines can play offence.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

I like Marleau as a person. To be honest it's not his fault you are asking him to play 82 games and then 15+ minutes in the Playoffs. He probably would liked a smaller role as opposed to being counted upon to score goals

He's not an idiot. He knows he's being criticized what was once a very credible and respectable player

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Washington and Carolina are clearly showing the importance of defence. Our D is terrible in comparison to theirs. That, along with size and physicality.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Washington and Carolina are clearly showing the importance of defence. Our D is terrible in comparison to theirs. That, along with size and physicality.

You can just tell everything starts in their backend
They don't throw the puck out like a grenade. They make crisp passes 10-15 feet

Makes like so much easy for their forwards

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
With Karlsson's injury history I doubt he'd want to risk his health and a potential big pay day for one shot of glory.
That's the thing. After this year I don't think he getting the payday. He will need to have a better year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad