Free Agency and Trade Thread - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marleau stays (I think he's gone) AND its an 83 million cap. I made this fit with 440 k to spare

1.) Sign marner for 10 mill (thats probably low).
2.) Johnson for 2 x 2.5
3.) Call up Bracco.

Then your lineup for 82.5 million.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnny Mattthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Bracco
Petan Goat Moore

Muzzin Zaitsev
Rielly Dermott
Rosen Holl

Goalies.

There is no reserve and 82.5 million

I don't see how the leafs let that happen. I don't see how they possibly would even be thinking of talking to gardiner. This is our worst case scenario, Then we take a step back next year and have your money to get a D the following year. We may have a step back year. But I think this is very unlikely. The most likely scenario would be that marleau goes.

Second would be trying to cut the fat on Z, Kadri or Nylander. But it seems unlikely

I do not think Dubas is married to Kadri anymore. Especially not after the playoff suspension and Nylander showing a ton of promise as a center. There is also a good chance the Leafs get Mikheyev, who is a RW and someone who could immediately step into the top 9 (we'd probably need to promise him that to get him here in the first place). Same with Bracco as you have in your lineup. That could allow Nylander to be pushed to center.

I also think Dubas prefers Kapanen more than he would Kadri. That may just be me, but I think if Kapanen comes at a reasonable price, Dubas would be willing to trade Kadri for a high sum to be able to fit Kapanen into that lineup.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why can't Nylander replace Kadri? That's what I see happening. Gives us 3 1C quality players down the middle, and the Leafs have the money to pay for some quality wingers in the top 9 to go with Marner, Hyman, Johnsson and Kapanen (i.e. Ferland and Mikheyev) if Marleau is dealt. If Marleau is not dealt, then he is another top 9 winger with probably someone like Moore or Mikheyev as the other.
does anyone here think Nylander would be happy being the 3rd line center for the foreseeable future? I ask because I think he believes he's not a 3rd line player and therefore won't be happy filling the role, not many (if any) 3rd line centers make 7 mil a year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Love Naz, but its a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me situation with him. I've lost all my trust in him.

Trade him for a top 4 rhd or a 3c. Just move on the from the guy.
yup, at this point he has to go, best for him and the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trading Kadri is insanity. He is cheap, skilled, and actually plays with heart. SHAME on kadri for thinking the same rules that apply to the Bruins apply to the leafs as well :rolleyes:
shame on Kadri for having a brain and not using it............for two consecutive years, he can't help himself, time to move on while he still has lots of value. Let his next brain fart be at the expense of another team.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
shame on Kadri for having a brain and not using it............for two consecutive years, he can't help himself, time to move on while he still has lots of value. Let his next brain fart be at the expense of another team.

Who's your 3rd C next season then, and could they sufficiently cover if Matthews or Tavares miss games?

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Who's your 3rd C next season then, and could they sufficiently cover if Matthews or Tavares miss games?
I didn't say replacing Kadri would be easy, although replacing him will be easier than acquiring the much needed help on D. I just said he's had more chances than most and has finally worn out his welcome.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I really doubt Marleau retires. If he doesn't, move one of Kadri/Nylander + Brown, have a somewhat leaner year then come back to play on July 1 2020.

A one year choke year isn't the end of the world given the fact that any players that it would cost us come with term and as such will return pieces that will help moving forward. Will be a good learning experience for some guys to figure out how to carry the mail.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I didn't say replacing Kadri would be easy, although replacing him will be easier than acquiring the much needed help on D. I just said he's had more chances than most and has finally worn out his welcome.

Are you not in the camp that Leafs need to add more bite/grit or however you want to phrase it?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
yeah, losing Kadri also compounds that problem.

So I mean, even though he can be frustrating, I think to say he's got to go is quite emotional day after getting eliminated type of decision. He's very good player on pretty cheap contract.

That doesn't mean he won't be moved, in fact I wouldn't be that surprised if he was. But they got to be careful with that move.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I'd love to hear from all of these proponents of "grit" or "heavy" who they actually think fits this bill in the league. Simmonds was often used as the poster boy for this, but he was absolutely useless for Nashville in their series. Ferland hasn't done squat for Carolina. Tkachuk had 3 points in 5 games, but definitely didn't really factor significantly in that series. For Columbus, I wouldn't qualify Duchene, Panarin, Atkinson or Werenski in the "heavy" category, yet they have been the difference makers in terms of scoring. Guys like Blake Wheeler or Ryan Reaves looked invisible in their respective series. I don't mean this as a critique necessarily, I just wonder who you guys think would improve this team's "toilet paper softness" that I keep hearing about. If you could draft one free player from the entire league to fill the sandpaper quota, who would it be?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I'd love to hear from all of these proponents of "grit" or "heavy" who they actually think fits this bill in the league. Simmonds was often used as the poster boy for this, but he was absolutely useless for Nashville in their series. Ferland hasn't done squat for Carolina. Tkachuk had 3 points in 5 games, but definitely didn't really factor significantly in that series. For Columbus, I wouldn't qualify Duchene, Panarin, Atkinson or Werenski in the "heavy" category, yet they have been the difference makers in terms of scoring. Guys like Blake Wheeler or Ryan Reaves looked invisible in their respective series. I don't mean this as a critique necessarily, I just wonder who you guys think would improve this team's "toilet paper softness" that I keep hearing about. If you could draft one free player from the entire league to fill the sandpaper quota, who would it be?
Guys like Josh Andersen, Jenner, Foligno were amazing for Colombus in being physical, scroing big goals and applying a ton of pressure on the forecheck as well as being able to sustain offensive zone time by protecting the puck with their big frames and withstanding the physical play of the opponent downlow.

Ferland was playing hurt and has only played 3 games in the series which i dont think you seemed to know based on your comments. Tkachuck plays with Frolik and Backlund 5 on 5...imagine if he played with Matthews and Marner. Reaves and Simmonds are both 4th line players at this point and arent going to score points but still help by putting pressure on the other teams and forcing turnovers.

Reactions: rumman

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
does anyone here think Nylander would be happy being the 3rd line center for the foreseeable future? I ask because I think he believes he's not a 3rd line player and therefore won't be happy filling the role, not many (if any) 3rd line centers make 7 mil a year.

He wouldn't be used as a typical 3C though, and it's not like using him as a 2nd line RWer gets him signifcantly more ice time or justifies his contract any better than it does as the "3C" behind two of the best centers in the league. You want strong center depth, and if moving Nylander to center allows the Leafs to potentially trade Kadri to solve their cap problems, then I am sure it is something they will strongly consider.

Nylander could probably get 17 minutes a night in ice time as the 3C, especially when you consider he'd be getting some PP time in there as well. He'd get to drive his line, which he wouldn't do with Matthews, and I am sure he'd rather have that over the other stuff anyways. He'd still get quality linemates, just not Matthews' quality guys. The only real downside is maybe he gets slightly less ice time and won't get to play with guys as good as Matthews at even strength, but still gets to play with him on the PP or maybe in certain situations if Babcock ever stacks lines or double shifts guys like Nylander (which is unlikely, but you never know).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Guys like Josh Andersen, Jenner, Foligno were amazing for Colombus in being physical, scroing big goals and applying a ton of pressure on the forecheck as well as being able to sustain offensive zone time by protecting the puck with their big frames and withstanding the physical play of the opponent downlow.

Ferland was playing hurt and has only played 3 games in the series which i dont think you seemed to know based on your comments. Tkachuck plays with Frolik and Backlund 5 on 5...imagine if he played with Matthews and Marner. Reaves and Simmonds are both 4th line players at this point and arent going to score points but still help by putting pressure on the other teams and forcing turnovers.

Simmonds had a bad year, and he should not get big money, but he's more than a 4th line player. He still put up 17 goals this year and is only one year removed from like 7 straight 45+ point seasons (if you adjust the lockout season where he had 32 points in 45 games) including two years he had 60 points and four where he was hovering around 30 goals. He is a power forward who is turning 31, but he still has a lot to offer. Even if he was only a 35 point guy these days (which playing in our top 9, would be a disappointment), he could stick in our top 9 and do well.

I'd put a feeler on him, especially if Ferland is asking for big money. If the Leafs could get him on like a 2 year contract for 2.5-3 mill, that would provide a physical two-way presence who could possibly still put up huge numbers and buy some time for other wingers to continue to establish themselves on the Marlies.

Reactions: hockeynorth

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Marleau is gonna get traded to Ottawa and they'll buy him out to take his whole cap hit and not have to use a roster spot on him, while only paying 2/3 of his remaining 1.25M salary after he receives his July 1st bonus.

Then, just like Orpik last summer, a contender will sign him for around 1M or less. It might even be us.

Point is, I don't think the Marleau contract will end up being a headache next year.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
ziUnR99.png

No big trades, just got rid of Connor Brown. We're still a million over. Probably have to trade Zaitsev for a cheaper RHD. I think the salaries are around where all those guys will get, give or take a couple 100k.

Marleaus salary is a real back breaker looking at it now. You get rid of his salary and you could be adding a top 4 d or top 6 forward if you want.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marleau is gonna get traded to Ottawa and they'll buy him out to take his whole cap hit and not have to use a roster spot on him, while only paying 2/3 of his remaining 1.25M salary after he receives his July 1st bonus.

Then, just like Orpik last summer, a contender will sign him for around 1M or less. It might even be us.

Point is, I don't think the Marleau contract will end up being a headache next year.

But you can’t buy out signing bonus right?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Simmonds had a bad year, and he should not get big money, but he's more than a 4th line player. He still put up 17 goals this year and is only one year removed from like 7 straight 45+ point seasons (if you adjust the lockout season where he had 32 points in 45 games) including two years he had 60 points and four where he was hovering around 30 goals. He is a power forward who is turning 31, but he still has a lot to offer. Even if he was only a 35 point guy these days (which playing in our top 9, would be a disappointment), he could stick in our top 9 and do well.

I'd put a feeler on him, especially if Ferland is asking for big money. If the Leafs could get him on like a 2 year contract for 2.5-3 mill, that would provide a physical two-way presence who could possibly still put up huge numbers and buy some time for other wingers to continue to establish themselves on the Marlies.
Im not opposed to it if we have the space and he comes cheap. Marchment, Moore, Simmonds, Bracco could be a very good bottom 6 set of wingers. That would mean trading Kappy for D help and scratching Marleau which im perfectly ok with. But in my eyes Marchment on a cheap ELC brings exactly the type we are looking for and should be given a chance to make the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He wouldn't be used as a typical 3C though, and it's not like using him as a 2nd line RWer gets him signifcantly more ice time or justifies his contract any better than it does as the "3C" behind two of the best centers in the league. You want strong center depth, and if moving Nylander to center allows the Leafs to potentially trade Kadri to solve their cap problems, then I am sure it is something they will strongly consider.

Nylander could probably get 17 minutes a night in ice time as the 3C, especially when you consider he'd be getting some PP time in there as well. He'd get to drive his line, which he wouldn't do with Matthews, and I am sure he'd rather have that over the other stuff anyways. He'd still get quality linemates, just not Matthews' quality guys. The only real downside is maybe he gets slightly less ice time and won't get to play with guys as good as Matthews at even strength, but still gets to play with him on the PP or maybe in certain situations if Babcock ever stacks lines or double shifts guys like Nylander (which is unlikely, but you never know).
and your onboard with paying your 3rd line center 7 mil?

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

Tough question. With current contract status my wish list would be:
1. Matthew Tkachuk
2. Brad Marchand
2. Brady Tkachuk
3. Josh Manson
5. Brendan Gallagher

HM: Brandon Carlo (recency bias)

Reactions: hockeynorth

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Does Ottawa/Melnyk buy any players out? Honest question as I can't recall anyone, but its certainly possible that I am forgetting someone.

Also, I think teams such as this will extract other assets from us, not just provide a public service to us.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Devils have unlimited cap space, new owners... they won the lottery, Hughes will give them a nice little jump start... very young team, need a vet... and very weak on the wings... I think Shero will be very busy this summer....
imo they gladly take Marleau... maybe even give up something decent in return..
Leafs cap problems... almost solved...

the cap situation ain't that bad imo..

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Devils have unlimited cap space, new owners... they won the lottery, Hughes will give them a nice little jump start... very young team, need a vet... and very weak on the wings... I think Shero will be very busy this summer....
imo they gladly take Marleau... maybe even give up something decent in return..
Leafs cap problems... almost solved...

the cap situation ain't that bad imo..
Marleau has a NMC and it doesnt sound like he's interested to go to a team like NJ. He wants to be on a contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad