GDT: Free Agency 2021

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I haven't looked where he resides, however he might be just be playing for the love of the game and one more shot at the cup even as a bench warmer. Great guy and love his passion for hockey. If he still has a home in Ottawa then Buffalo much closer and 750k can buy a lot of toys.

I am pretty sure that Andy lives in Chicago.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Former 10th overall pick by the Rangers. Picked for his size. Has been a complete draft bust. Signed as AHL depth. If he plays an NHL game, we have some serious issues.

Or he could be the sacrificial goat to the Tom Wilson bowl on opening night against the NY Rangers :sarcasm:

They are probably going to want blood with their newfound "heavies". Why not give them McIlrath to play with instead for a night and send him down to Hershey after.

I'm sure McIlrath wouldn't mind pummeling his old franchise.

Last edited:

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I don't doubt it. If Carlson being on the team is more important to you than winning a Stanley Cup, hey who am I to argue? That's how I feel about Ovechkin and Backstrom.

But if the goal is to win another Stanley Cup I don't think Carlson is the guy to help take them there.
But that chart you just posted praising Dougie as 2nd in xGAR since 2018 also shows John Carlson 8th in xGAR in that same time frame. Top 10 defender, that seems elite, no?

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Some free agent forwards that are interesting:

Ryan Donato
Ondrej Kase (injury trouble)
Jimmy Vesey (ehhh)
Nikita Gusev
Dal Colle

Less interesting but nostalgic:
Marcus Johansson
Mathieu Perrault

On the defensive side:
Julius Honka
Ryan Murray

Reactions: searle

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Some free agent forwards that are interesting:

Ryan Donato
Ondrej Kase (injury trouble)
Jimmy Vesey (ehhh)
Nikita Gusev
Dal Colle

Less interesting but nostalgic:
Marcus Johansson
Mathieu Perrault

On the defensive side:
Julius Honka
Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray's the only potential Dillon replacement left that seems better than just throwing Kempny out there and hoping he's healthy, though Murray's got a pretty scary injury history himself. I wonder what the market's like for him at this point?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Former 10th overall pick by the Rangers. Picked for his size. Has been a complete draft bust. Signed as AHL depth. If he plays an NHL game, we have some serious issues.
Agreed but I want him dressed for opening night against the Rangers. No Dillon and no Chara for Washington and you have the Rangers signing plugs like Tinordi and Goodrow, the latter of whom said opening night should be “interesting” against Wilson and the Caps. Let McIlrath have a few scraps and sit in the box instead of other guys who can actually play hockey.

Reactions: tenken00 and max21

Jun 15, 2007
Agreed but I want him dressed for opening night against the Rangers. No Dillon and no Chara for Washington and you have the Rangers signing plugs like Tinordi and Goodrow, the latter of whom said opening night should be “interesting” against Wilson and the Caps. Let McIlrath have a few scraps and sit in the box instead of other guys who can actually play hockey.

Wouldn't that be "Tom Wilson "ing ourselves?

Just beat them on the score sheet.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006

so a guy they just signed, who had nothing to do with events prior, is commenting?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Caps are somewhat fortunate that the bar is not set very high at all by fellow General Managers. I like what Boston has done improving their forward depth, though they probably could have done better on defense and also took on some relatively unneeded risk in the Ullmark contract. If Krejci somehow still walks it pretty well negates those moves, though. So many teams across the league are just...stuck. They're stuck with the same core, the same mediocre mentality...stuck in situations that aren't really working yet not changing it up much. There should really be more teams blowing it up and starting over on a year-to-year basis. While the Caps are fairly stale it seems to be the case for most teams. That dynamic could give younger upstarts a sizeable advantage if well crafted yet none quite seems to have their act together to seize that opportunity and change the landscape of the league. There's still plenty of time for off-season movement but the fundamentals league-wide aren't evolving much compared to some sports. There's still so much room for growth when it comes to drafting, development and fully creating internal strengths to avoid much of the free agent process. The very best teams manage to only very selectively venture in.

The flat cap should be pushing organizations toward focusing more fully on revolutionizing management and the analytic side yet it seems to be a pretty slow process. Over the next five to ten years it will be those franchises best able to adopt that comprehensive approach that will have the most success. As-is I'm not sure who those standard bearers are. Tampa Bay stands out most but it's cyclical and I'm not sure they're immune from fading back to the pack as their heavy lifters get older. It's a league of parity but with that comes so much fundamental mediocrity. Edmonton is a terrific example of a franchise that should be right there setting the bar for the league yet they can hardly get out of their own way most of the time. So while I don't believe MacLellan & Mahoney are brilliant they're not getting it handed to them either. There are very few teams that seem to have this whole thing figured out.

Colorado lowballs their goaltender and has to make a panic trade. Vegas dumps Fleury only to trade for another winger. And on and on.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think a better message would be, "We'll beat the shit out of you and beat you on the scoreboard, so don't try to act tough." Also, it's game one of 82, we don't need Wilson missing time breaking his hand on someone's face.

Oh shit. You can say shit on here? Well.. shit.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad