GDT: Free Agency 2021

Jun 15, 2007
Yes, let’s focus a team all around one individuals goal record. Yikes. I’d rather win and I’d hope most fans would agree but who knows at this point.

Winning a cup is really hard. Even if try our best there's still probably only a 20% chance we can win.

Ovechkin getting 895 is very reachable and has many less variables.

But most importantly we already have a cup.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This shtick is old and boring. No one here has ever said any GM is infallible, including BMac. What we're actually saying, and what we've seen this week, is that some GMs do suck, so jettisoning our pretty damned good GM because he's human and made a few missteps would be stupid.

Just to be clear I'm not saying GMBM should be fired. Far from it.

I'm just saying there are plenty of sucker GMs out there that could be taken advantage of to improve the team, but I was told that this was impossible by the usual suspects. Seems that this might not be the case!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just to be clear I'm not saying GMBM should be fired. Far from it.

I'm just saying there are plenty of sucker GMs out there that could be taken advantage of to improve the team, but I was told that this was impossible by the usual suspects. Seems that this might not be the case!

Are there? It seems like the same handful of organizations almost every year. I'm sure everyone is also trying to slip one by them. So even if they're dumb there's still competition in the market to milk their stupidity. And when many of them are in our division do you think they're going to be more or less cautious of pulling the trigger on a deal?

Who are the GMs you think are f***ing up and can be fleeced by GMBM right now?

We get it. You want to see more moves from GMBM that suit your taste. Noted.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I disagree. These are 32 of the best and brightest minds in the world who are operating on a level you and I just cannot comprehend. They are playing 10-dimensional chess while you are playing "Punch Yourself As Hard As You Can in the Groin." Quite frankly, their decisions are beyond reproach.

You may not be able to comprehend why Ron Francis selected Gavin Bayreuther in the expansion draft, only to let him walk and re-sign immediately with Columbus. Or you may not understand why Ken Holland traded for Duncan Keith and signed Zach Hyman to a 7-year deal. And you certainly can't fathom why Stan Bowman signed Seth Jones to a 8-year, $76 million contract. But you have to trust the process. These executives know what they're doing, otherwise they wouldn't be in the positions they are in. Just like everywhere else in the business world these positions are earned.

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. To me, it comes down to teamwork at all levels. Scouts are the unsung heroes of drafts etc. Just like many jobs, the NHL has incompetent executives. Benning for example, imho, is extremely incompetent.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
As things sit today, I have the Caps winning the division. This is assuming the Metro division is back. I reject the bubble team idea.

I think the really bad might be the ownership rather than all these gm's. I am sure some of the gm's are a mess but the Caps have had good managers because they have good ownership. For instance the ownership in Carolina and NYRs is clearly screwing them up.

I can believe ownership hinders many GM decisions. We dealt with it with Abe. Ottawa is suffering because of it.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Marcus Johansson is still available. He had broken his left arm against Vegas during the SC playoffs. Now I'll admit that he was my favorite whipping boy when he was last here with the Capitals, but these are different times. Don't know if there's a way to fit him in to the team salary wise even if he takes a Perreault type of signing with the Canadiens (900k - 1 mil), but he would bring some needed speed to the team, as well as position versatility at the forward positions plus the ability to play up and down in the top nine. Just a thought.

I don't believe he can be had for cheap. He still has some real vale, imho.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You're entitled to your opinion and I respect that. To me, it comes down to teamwork at all levels. Scouts are the unsung heroes of drafts etc. Just like many jobs, the NHL has incompetent executives. Benning for example, imho, is extremely incompetent.
It was sarcasm. Twabs routinely is not impressed with GMs, and more often than not for good reason. It’s amazing franchises of a billion dollar industry don’t pay people to say, “bad idea, don’t do that,” or worse, don’t listen to them. The good ole boys network is alive and well in hockey management and teams suffer for the lack of diverse and new thought, as a result.

On the flip side though, guys like John Chayka do not help make the case that fresh blood is needed in management.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It was sarcasm. Twabs routinely is not impressed with GMs, and more often than not for good reason. It’s amazing franchises of a billion dollar industry don’t pay people to say, “bad idea, don’t do that,” or worse, don’t listen to them.

Ha, I am at the store and didn't take too seriously.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't believe he can be had for cheap. He still has some real vale, imho.
The string of injuries he’s had since leaving Washington will depress his value some. I believe his only healthy season was the one in Buffalo, and his stats got Buffalo’d in that year.
I don’t think he’ll be cheap enough for the Caps to make a run at him, though. It would take a sub-$1M contract for the Caps to fit him, unless other moves are made.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Here's a thought...

Maybe a lot of these deals look lopsided because we all have our own opinions about players, and for just about any deal to get done there's going to be some fuzziness in order for both sides to feel comfortable with it, so we always see someone getting robbed. Otherwise, if many deals DIDN'T have that grey area then nobody would pull the trigger unless forced to.

IOW what looks stupid is not always stupid. It may be confirmation bias tacked onto a necessarily & naturally ambiguous situation, probably including variables we're not privy to.

The people here constantly bashing the GMs can't honestly say they themselves have never been wrong about a player or coach. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad