GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If you put Vinny on the first unit that means you are replacing Voracek with him since they both operate off the right wall. I don't like that.

It might get the 2nd unit going. Or you could change the formation to something like this to allow Vinny and Voracek to both be on the right side.

Umbrella.jpg

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
How many 30 goal scorers can't skate at all, can't handle the puck for more than 1 second without fumbling it away, and are completely useless doing "dirty work"?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Hartnell spot is going to go to either Schenn or Simmonds.

Simmonds should stay strictly in front of the net. He's one of the best in business at it so kind of pointless taking him out of there & putting him in more of a pure shooting position.

We need someone who can shoot the puck, provide an extra screen, & retrieve the puck like Hartnell did. I think Schenn could be an option as well as possibly Couturier. Schenn needs to get stronger along the board/on the puck & Couturier needs to be more consistent with shooting so they do come with some potential downsides at the moment.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It might get the 2nd unit going. Or you could change the formation to something like this to allow Vinny and Voracek to both be on the right side.

I don't see the upside of potentially ruining a good thing just to jump start something else. I get swapping out Streit for Timonen because he's a clear upgrade at this juncture but I'm not seeing any of that with Vinny.

Vinny's been operating around the right faceoff circle waiting for one-timer's even dating back to Tampa. We saw what happened this past year when we tried to teach an old dog some new tricks.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't see the upside of potentially ruining a good thing just to jump start something else.

Vinny's been operating around the right faceoff circle waiting for one-timer's even dating back to Tampa. We saw what happened this past year when we tried to teach an old dog some new tricks.

The problem is that Streit was the only guy who could reliably get the puck to Vinny, and that was predictable. But once the puck went to the other side (Schenn's general territory...shocking), it all went south because possession was non-existent.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Maybe Voracek, while on the point, should do a bit of a move to go towards the middle of the zone and then side pass it right to Vinny for a very quick one timer?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The problem is that Streit was the only guy who could reliably get the puck to Vinny, and that was predictable. But once the puck went to the other side (Schenn's general territory...shocking), it all went south because possession was non-existent.

----Simmonds
Giroux-----Vinny
Streit------Voracek

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
----Simmonds
Giroux-----Vinny
Streit------Voracek

This is fine as a first PP line. I'd like to see Lecavalier slip into the slot for a Hartnell-esque one-timer. My overall beef with the Flyers PP is that their puck movement is generally too methodical and predictable. Voracek, too, could come off the point and force the PKers to stretch their box.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Vinny was good at the beginning but sucked pretty much for the rest of the season even on the PP. Streit was pretty much a one man show on that PP for the majority of the year.

It probably didn't help that two spots were pretty much revolving doors on it. One could hope with some turnover & stability they could possibly mesh better next year creating a serviceable 2nd Unit.

I get putting Streit on the first unit since I think he's a clear upgrade over Timonen but putting Vinny on there & switching the whole philosophy up seems like too much.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
what about running the double goalie screens with umberger and simmonds? I might be talking out of my ass here but i seem to recall umberger being around the net a lot on the PP when he last played here.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I want the second PP ran like the first one. I actually think Couts should handle the half wall like Giroux. We would be able to see his vision and passing abilities flourish there.

1st PP unit

Simmonds-Giroux-Schenn
Streit-Voracek

2nd PP unit

Umberger(net front)/Vinny-Couts-Read
Kimmo-Ghost/MacDonald

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
what about running the double goalie screens with umberger and simmonds? I might be talking out of my ass here but i seem to recall umberger being around the net a lot on the PP when he last played here.

He did & did it last year with Columbus as well. Simmonds is kind of a one man army around the net. I don't really see the point of losing some versatility with adding Umberger to the first unit when Simmonds pretty much has us covered in that area.

Umberger will likely be the net the guy for the second unit.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Part of what made the double screen effective was opposing teams being forced to respect Hartnell's shot when he would float out to the high slot. That allowed for Giroux to slide it to Simmonds down low because the opposing PK would collapse into the middle. Hartnell might have appeared frustrating as the triggerman, but his presence actually did us a lot of good in opening up Simmonds for the jam or Timonen for the point shot. Umberger is a very solid screen, but his shot doesn't command the respect Hartnell got in that position.

Realistically, that spot is Schenn's to lose. He does have a quick release and will force defenders to collapse like Hartnell did. The only problem is Schenn's puck retrieval skills like LOD mentioned.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
If we keep Vinny, this would be a nice PP:

Simmonds-Giroux-Vinny
Streit-Voracek

Read-Couturier-Schenn
Timonen/Ghost-Umberger

Maybe?

I'd prefer Schenn in Vinny's spot on the top unit. He's good at getting into space and shooting. Should be able to replace what Hartnell brought to that unit. Vinny (if he's here) is a good option to have If Schenn isn't working. Both being left handed helps give Giroux an option in the high slot.

The second unit is going to be interesting. I think having Vinny there would be better than having a bunch of younger players and Timonen.

Something like this is what I hope Berube tries:

Read/Akeson - Couturier - Vinny
Timonen - Read/MacDonald

Akeson clearly has some talent and can be effective on the PP IMO. I'd play him on the left half wall where Giroux usually is. Put Couturier in the high slot to give Akeson an outlet. Vinny can hang on the right wall and get open for one timers. I like Read on the point. He's got enough skill to be up there and is certainly fast enough to get back in case of a turnover. If Timonen is on the left side then it opens up one timers between Akeson and Kimmo. That would leave the same instance on the other side with Read and Vinny. The only downside is that there's no real net front presence but there's plenty of shooting options.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Schenn should be plugged in to every spot Hartnell has been used in, both at 5v5 and on the PP.

100% agreed.

Then for the 2nd unit I would run:

Umberger

Akeson-RH Couts-LH

Read-RH Kimmo LH

Everyone is set up for 1 timers. Read has a good shot from the point. Cours and Akeson are setup guys but can slide into the slot when the puck is on the opposite wall.(this is if Vinny is gone. If still here, move him to Couts spot and Couts can replace either Akeson or Umburger depending on the amout of penalties we are having)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
From a poster named SeaToo
Canucks fan coming in peace, just wanted to pass something along.

EK was just on Team1040 in Vancouver (Teamradio.ca - podcats - Midday Show with Matt Sekeres and Blake Price, but its not up yet) and was asked straight up if he wanted to be a Jet anymore and the short version of his answer was "Well I'm a jet right now and we'll see what happens", to call him very noncommittal would be an understatement. They also asked about what he would say to Jet fans about why he doesnt want to play there anymore but didnt hear the answer because BMO finally took me off hold.

Just wanted to hear Jet fans thoughts on this.

Man, he isn't helping his case up there. Even though we are into the dog days of summer with hockey, I still think there is a chance he gets moved.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Kane has made it pretty clear he's a malcontent. He openly prods the media too, which is going to do nothing to make his life better if he has to stay. People lost their crap over Richards defending himself from the media, Kane goes looking for feuds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino