GDT: Free Agency 2014 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Coburn for a forward is a non-starter, especially one like ROR who will demand a higher cap hit than Coburn's $4.5m. They didn't get Kimmo back for one last season just to partner him with Streit or LSchenn as the first pairing.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
What do you guys think of E.Kane and all those rumors? Could we send Vinny plus Coburn over for him? I'd love to get Schenn back at center and have a legit LW on this team. If Hextall thinks one of the young defencemen can crack the lineup then Schultz doesn't look like a 7th man anymore. I'd rather send Grossman and Vinny but I think Winnipeg laughs at that. Maybe Kane comes back with a pick? I know this weakens our D but I long for an offensively gifted LW.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backing into the playoffs is a waste of time, sure, you can get lucky, but odds are you'll be one and done and with a worst draft position. You want to go into the playoffs because your young players are maturing, not because you ransomed your cap to add a veteran or two.

I think Hextall is thinking a couple years down the road, with the 5 defensemen due to arrive in staggered fashion over the next 3 years, Laughton and Leier, and a passel of young forwards, he probably wants to clear out cap room (which will take a year or two to find takers for Vinny, Umburger, Grossman, maybe Streit and McDonald), add a couple mid-priced FAs that are good fits and let the kids work their way into the lineup.

Doesn't mean he doesn't want to win now, but unlike Holmgren, he's not willing to win now if it means win less for 2-3 years after this season.

I don't see the Flyers as big players in FA under Hextall, he's committed to building from within, and that means using your money to retain your best young players. So I would look for more deals on the margin, obtaining younger players with upside to fill roles, not older stars that break the bank. We know how the later strategy worked out.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What do you guys think of E.Kane and all those rumors? Could we send Vinny plus Coburn over for him? I'd love to get Schenn back at center and have a legit LW on this team. If Hextall thinks one of the young defencemen can crack the lineup then Schultz doesn't look like a 7th man anymore. I'd rather send Grossman and Vinny but I think Winnipeg laughs at that. Maybe Kane comes back with a pick? I know this weakens our D but I long for an offensively gifted LW.

Our offseason is likely finished & our roster is likely set (give or take a small piece).

If Vinny had any value he would have been moved by now & Hextall wouldn't have been spending his entire offseason despatately trying to move him so no Winnipeg would have no interest in him & further more I don't think Vinny would have any interest in them which is important since he has a NMC & controls every move.

If you want Kane you're likely ponying up one of Schenn or Laughton as a centerpiece to bring him here since center is their biggest need, depending on which one of the Schenn or Laughton depends on how big the plus is.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Our offseason is likely finished & our roster is likely set (give or take a small piece).

If Vinny had any value he would have been moved by now & Hextall wouldn't have been spending his entire offseason despatately trying to move him so no Winnipeg would have no interest in him & further more I don't think Vinny would have any interest in them which is important since he has a NMC & controls every move.

If you want Kane you're likely ponying up one of Schenn or Laughton as a centerpiece to bring him here since center is their biggest need, depending on which one of the Schenn or Laughton depends on how big the plus is.

Forgot about the NMC. On a different note, do you think Ghost has a shot at making the final roster this season? He's got all the skill, just needs to play better in his own end and put on some lbs. Man does he have a heavy shot for being so slight.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I keep seeing people lamenting the fact that Giroux is now 26 and we're not competing for the Cup, but I don't find that to be a legitimate concern

For one, he is the type of player to age well. But more importantly, given our situation on D, it will not be difficult to facilitate a trade for an impact forward if one is needed. Think of the value guys like Olli Maatta have. Just being a regular NHL defender at a young age makes you a highly, highly valued asset. Obviously it's no guarantee that all (or any) of our young defenders pan out, but we'll have a very clear image in two years of where our forward situation stands, and it's unlikely our young defenders will drop in value by that time. So that's going to be an option if necessary.

Also consider the fact that Couturier will likely be taking steps forward in the next few years. Will he be a 1C? Probably not. But Boston never needed an elite offensive 1C because of their team's makeup and commitment to sound two-way hockey. If Laughton develops well, we're still poised to have very strong center depth even when Giroux is on the wrong side of 30. And if Giroux's game turns significantly in the future (which I would bet against), we still even have the option of moving him to the wing to play an MSL or PKane type of role and acquiring an impact center through trade.

I understand that's a lot of hopeful projection...but the point is only that there are so many variables that you shouldn't concern yourself with Giroux's age when so many things are up in the air. That's very far down on my list of things to worry about.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Still not a sure thing, might see a Derek Roy signing from the Preds, seems like a Poile type move.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The plot thickens.

Anyone know of Beef's whereabouts during this injury?

I was refilling Schenn's gruel bucket and making sure he hasn't made any progress at finding a way out of the abandoned well in my basement.

Mostly I've been caring for my moths and sitting around naked while I apply for jobs in Schenn's name, while blasting "Goodbye Horses" as I work.

You know, just a usual Monday.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I was refilling Schenn's gruel bucket and making sure he hasn't made any progress at finding a way out of the abandoned well in my basement.

Mostly I've been caring for my moths and sitting around naked while I apply for jobs in Schenn's name, while blasting "Goodbye Horses" as I work.

You know, just a usual Monday.

I'm worried about you.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We'll see how the jury feels about that defense when Schenn goes missing.

"What do you mean I can't wear another mans skin? I can have any hobby I want, this is 'murica!"

"Sir, please keep your clothes on."

If I'm not mistaken this generally ends with me being shot several times in the dark by a female FBI agent who looks a lot like Jodie Foster, with a chip on her shoulder because of her impoverished upbringing, so the jury isn't a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad