Tribute Freddy Andersen

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I don’t think he’s amazing but I don’t think he’s crap either. We should have pushed to get Gibson as he was the better starter of the two out in Anaheim. Freddy isn’t an elite goaltender. But our defense is putrid
Gibson has a .905 sv%. He would not do any better behind our defensive coverage.

Reactions: Rhynne

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
October GAA: 3.03 SV%: .901
November GAA: 1.97 SV%: .938
December GAA: 3.03 SV%: .904
January GAA: 3.74 SV%: .905

This is not a small sample size. He has been an average backup this season. "Leafs need to outscore their problems". Yes we do, we need to out score our goalie problem.

Reactions: MattySnipes

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
October GAA: 3.03 SV%: .901
November GAA: 1.97 SV%: .938
December GAA: 3.03 SV%: .904
January GAA: 3.74 SV%: .905

This is not a small sample size. He has been an average backup this season. "Leafs need to outscore their problems". Yes we do, we need to out score our goalie problem.
Yikes those numbers are puke.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Shocking to hear that our goalie isn't immune to the good goalie/bad goalie voodoo that plagues.... er, literally every goalie in the league. Don't forget that the reigning Vezina champion played like absolute donkey balls until a month ago.

Just like every single team in the history of the league and into the future, to win a cup a team needs their goalie to be hot. A hot Freddy is good enough to win with.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes it sucked that Andersen allowed those 4 goals, however I would say he had bad defensive coverage on the 1st and 2nd goals. The 3rd goal was a 2 on 1 and the 4th goal is a shot that just beat him. So it's not completely on him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In terms of HDSV%, he is in the middle of the pack. He is also middle of the pack in HDC faced. He isn't giving the team a chance to win. It's that simple.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes it sucked that Andersen allowed those 4 goals, however I would say he had bad defensive coverage on the 1st and 2nd goals. The 3rd goal was a 2 on 1 and the 4th goal is a shot that just beat him. So it's not completely on him.

It's never going to be completely on the goalie, but he's definitely a problem right now.

The Leafs really should think about getting Georgiev to expand their goalie options on a nightly basis, send Hutchinson to Mars and maybe start doing some pro scouting on Braden Holtby to see if investing in him makes more sense than re-signing Freddie after next year.

Reactions: Erdinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The team was bound to eventually experience a rough patch under Keefe. Andersen is still the undisputed starter and will battle back.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If we are going to have an average starter who is unreliable in big moments, why did we pay a 1st and a 2nd?
I rather have a young Carter Hart battling right now then a 5 million goalie.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Most goalies are inconsistent. He’s IMO a slightly above average starter (somewhere around the 10th-15th best goalie in the league), which means he has plenty of solid games, some great games, and some poor ones. I’m happy to go forward with him as our starter.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Andersen is now 30. He will UFA after the end of next season. While he is a good goalie the Leafs have no back up plan in both the long term and short term. I would imagine that his new contract will be pricey.

What would be an acceptable term?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Shocking to hear that our goalie isn't immune to the good goalie/bad goalie voodoo that plagues.... er, literally every goalie in the league. Don't forget that the reigning Vezina champion played like absolute donkey balls until a month ago.

Just like every single team in the history of the league and into the future, to win a cup a team needs their goalie to be hot. A hot Freddy is good enough to win with.
and that's completely fine. The issue is when people start to blame everyone around Andersen for his struggles, even when it doesn't make sense to. He's in the midst of a terrible stretch that he'll eventually play his way out of, and the Leafs will be fine. Not being able to do well in front of an awful goalie doesn't mean they're actually a garbage team

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's never going to be completely on the goalie, but he's definitely a problem right now.

The Leafs really should think about getting Georgiev to expand their goalie options on a nightly basis, send Hutchinson to Mars and maybe start doing some pro scouting on Braden Holtby to see if investing in him makes more sense than re-signing Freddie after next year.
From the reports it sounds like the Rangers want a lot for Georgiev and is he really the answer at least as a #2 Goalie? Yes he stole two wins against Toronto last season and made 47 saves against them this season when the Rangers won against the Leafs in overtime, but I'm not convinced he's a long term solution.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Honestly with the amount of decent goalies available this offseason I would be aggressive in free agency and sign two of these guys and go to a two goalie system.

Sign two for 3-4 years and move Freddy to a team that needs a goalie (New Jersey, San Jose etc.). I do think Freddy is better than most of these guys but if you can get two for under $10M it might be a better option.

Holtby
Markstrom
Smith
Crawford
Elliott
Anderson
Greiss
Francouz
Halak
Knudobin
Howard
Talbot

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The team was bound to eventually experience a rough patch under Keefe. Andersen is still the undisputed starter and will battle back.

If he's not it, who is? Hutch? Not like the Leafs have a choice. Freddy needs to play better and the team, especially the D needs to play better around him.

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
imho andersen is a solid above average goaltender, but not a serious cup run guy. i'm ok with him as our starter, but it would be nice to have a real choice (plus a better playing defence, which goes without saying).

what price and term should the leafs seek for an extension? currently i have no idea.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If he's not it, who is? Hutch? Not like the Leafs have a choice. Freddy needs to play better and the team, especially the D needs to play better around him.

Looks like ANA was right. He has a certain # of games he can play, and that's about it.
If you're allowing as what was said 3/10, then their is a problem.

I want Dubas to find another goaltender who can manage a starters load, and play that goaltender
until Freddy is less gassed. Lehner too is a UFA this summer. Markstrom, Griess, Francouz are all
players who I would consider. Plus with someone younger, Freddy doesn't get re-signed, and I've
always felt this way.

I think Woll and Scott will take the long term Jarry approach, to the NHL.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's inconsistent, he always has been

His highs are spectacular and he can win games on his own and his lows are just as spectacular the other way

It's who he is and nothing's going to change that at this point of his career

I also don't think Keefe can continue to pull him when he sucks, he needs to leave him in there to work through his sucktitude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad