Tribute Freddy Andersen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Andersen has been cast into a bit of a Grant Fuhr role where he's to provide timely saves in a 7-5 track meet. But I think his mental make up is that of a Marty Brodeur where he plays a controlled game in a highly regulated system environment. He's just a poor battler and isn't really a "money goalie."

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Andersen has been cast into a bit of a Grant Fuhr role where he's to provide timely saves in a 7-5 track meet. But I think his mental make up is that of a Marty Brodeur where he plays a controlled game in a highly regulated system environment. He's just a poor battler and isn't really a "money goalie."

I really have to disagree. Other than streaks like the one he's on now, he's at his worst when the game is quiet IMO. He needs a steady stream of medium difficulty shots to keep his head in the game, otherwise he's prone to a spurt of letting in 2 goals in a minute when he loses focus. Reminds me of a worse Vokoun. Agree on him not being a battler or a money goalie though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really have to disagree. Other than streaks like the one he's on now, he's at his worst when the game is quiet IMO. He needs a steady stream of medium difficulty shots to keep his head in the game, otherwise he's prone to a spurt of letting in 2 goals in a minute when he loses focus. Reminds me of a worse Vokoun. Agree on him not being a battler or a money goalie though.

Yeah that's fair, I see what you mean by medium difficulty shots. I'm just picturing a game where he isn't forced to make a series of Marc-Andre Fleury like desperation saves. He had a game like that against the Canucks in December, but it was so atypical it stood out.

Just feels like in big moments he's going to be the one that blinks.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah that's fair, I see what you mean by medium difficulty shots. I'm just picturing a game where he isn't forced to make a series of Marc-Andre Fleury like desperation saves. He had a game like that against the Canucks in December, but it was so atypical it stood out.

Just feels like in big moments he's going to be the one that blinks.

I'd much rather have a plain jane starter that plays at a steady .900-.915 game in game out instead of Freddy stealing games for a month and then forgetting how to stop rec league shots the next. Put the pressure on our forwards to score 3+ goals in the playoffs rather than put the pressure on Andersen to stop 38 out of 40 shots.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd much rather have a plain jane starter that plays at a steady .900-.915 game in game out instead of Freddy stealing games for a month and then forgetting how to stop rec league shots the next. Put the pressure on our forwards to score 3+ goals in the playoffs rather than put the pressure on Andersen to stop 38 out of 40 shots.

I agree. I don't really like to lavish praise on a goalie who gets hung out to dry, everybody talks about how he's our supposed backbone in pitying ways, we worry about his psychological make up and it's like walking on egg shells to start a game or a period, never knowing what kind of brilliance or hot mess you're going to get.

Reminds me of latter day Felix Potvin and how worn down his game and confidence was behind a crappy defense.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think Andersen is old school and expects the team in front of him to play some defense. Who does he think he is to expect that under Dubas and Keefe's " Run and Gun" Leafs???

Reactions: NikoEhlers

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well that's exactly where Dubas put the majority of his budget!

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
His job is to stop the puck, I'd expect Hutchinson to stop that and it's just an example of just how bad Andersen has been recently that he couldn't

He shouldn't be thinking about other people's performance when he can't stop a beach ball for the last month

A young player made a mistake, it happens and you need the goaltender to help him out sometimes

I'm through giving Andersen a pass, stop the ******* puck like your supposed to

Anybody talking about giving Andersen another contract is out of their mind, not in a million years

Some team will give him a gonzo contract and justify it by saying we don't play defense...book it...I am going to be glad it's not us. He has too many highs that are super high and too many really lows for my liking. I don't want a 945% one month and then 885% the next... you can't play in front of a mystery box every night. We need a guy who can be more than a back up like Georgiev...he ain't worth Kappy...but Bracco and a pick I would do.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Kiwi

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think Andersen is old school and expects the team in front of him to play some defense. Who does he think he is to expect that under Dubas and Keefe's " Run and Gun" Leafs???

That's fair...and the team in front him expects him to stop low percentage shots...that's how it should work. The way both of the goalies have been playing you feel like they have one of those pretend goalie covers over the net with the corners and five hole exposed. The D can't eliminate all the bloody shots for him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The point would be more valid if he didn't have spectacular mental meltdowns like the Philadelphia 6-1 last minute blow out, the first half of the Florida debacle, the 7-4 New Jersey third period mini crisis, the 6-2 Chicago beating with 3 soft goals against, and the hissy fit in the Edmonton game where the coach had to make sure his feelings weren't hurt. That's all mental.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
The point would be more valid if he didn't have spectacular mental meltdowns like the Philadelphia 6-1 last minute blow out, the first half of the Florida debacle, the 7-4 New Jersey third period mini crisis, the 6-2 Chicago beating with 3 soft goals against, and the hissy fit in the Edmonton game where the coach had to make sure his feelings weren't hurt. That's all mental.
And games 7!

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

If I as a fan, can tell by the first goal whether or not he is going to play like crap..you would think the guys in front of him know that as well and start mailing it in. I think he doesn't deal with pressure very well. When has he come up big in a regular season game that we are promoting as a must win? I seem to recall Tampa beating us like a drum to 7 goals and Florida got 4 by him 30 min into the game. He is not money...game 7's are a killer for him (0-4) and unless he goes on a super hot streak in the playoffs we are just wasting our time. Sell off Barrie and get what you can because there is no way we are going far this year...it's just too messed up with injuries and Freddie being a headcase.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If I as a fan, can tell by the first goal whether or not he is going to play like crap..you would think the guys in front of him know that as well and start mailing it in. I think he doesn't deal with pressure very well. When has he come up big in a regular season game that we are promoting as a must win? I seem to recall Tampa beating us like a drum to 7 goals and Florida got 4 by him 30 min into the game. He is not money...game 7's are a killer for him (0-4) and unless he goes on a super hot streak in the playoffs we are just wasting our time. Sell off Barrie and get what you can because there is no way we are going far this year...it's just too messed up with injuries and Freddie being a headcase.

Just gotta win before it gets to game 7, problem solved.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yep. This last stretch has made me extremely skeptical of Andersen. The way Keefe seemed to come out and go out of his way to extend the olive branch after the Edmonton pulling wasn't a big deal at the time, but the subsequent nose dive in quality of play makes me wonder if they know they're walking on egg shells.

Like you said, the first few minutes of the game, you can tell if it's going to be high highs or low lows. And if that message is being broadcast to the rest of the team, it's no wonder their morale levels are so low at times.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yep. This last stretch has made me extremely skeptical of Andersen. The way Keefe seemed to come out and go out of his way to extend the olive branch after the Edmonton pulling wasn't a big deal at the time, but the subsequent nose dive in quality of play makes me wonder if they know they're walking on egg shells.

Like you said, the first few minutes of the game, you can tell if it's going to be high highs or low lows. And if that message is being broadcast to the rest of the team, it's no wonder their morale levels are so low at times.
I don't think it's like that at all.

They mailed it in for the Florida game because they went out partying in South Beach.

They mailed it in because they all had vacation plans on Saturday.

Very immature team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

They mailed it in for the Florida game because they went out partying in South Beach.

Very immature team.

I suppose those two realities don't have to be mutually exclusive!

I'm glad Keefe called them immature in public. You don't hear that kind of characterization too often but hopefully they snap out of it and grow up.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix

Very immature team.
Apparently Freddie had a golf game cued up as well... seems he's immature as well then.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Apparently Freddie had a golf game cued up as well... seems he's immature as well then.
Don't disagree. You have to ask what kind of leadership core is Tavares heading up here.

The coach and GM probably on the same page.

Is Tavares leader of the immature?

Reactions: TDotMassive

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I think we need to face facts. Freddie has been here a long time now, we know what kind of goalie he is. He is streaky. When he's on, he's a top-3 goalie in the league. When he's off, he's no better than Hutch. This isn't going to change. Freddie has not been great in the playoffs, and he isn't the one to lead us to a cup, at least not alone.

Dubas needs to make a serious move, even if it costs a roster player, to get a proper #1b goalie that can form a real tandem with Freddie. Not a good backup, a second starter... a guy capable of playing 30-40 games and taking over if Freddie falters in the playoffs or down the stretch.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It's come to a point that when Andersen gets the first shot against him you hope it doesn't result in a goal against.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Yes, teams pay their scorers, good observation.
Take a minute to read this before you make any more flippant comments.
A study was done a few years ago and the average NHL team spent 58% of its cap on its forwards , 32% on its defense and 10% on its goalies. No team spent more than 69% on its forwards and no cap team spent more than 64% . This year the Leafs are spending over 69% on their forwards so yes they are spending much more of their money there. Maybe the should be spending a little more on a quality back up goalie to give Andersen a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad