Tribute Freddy Andersen

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
What evidence do you have for this?

Seems to me that most of the "tougher" pieces on the team were added by Dubas or made the team under his watch.
You think these guys are tougher than Polak and Hainsey even Zaitsev befor they put a lwash on him ? give your head a shake . Go back to your video game

Reactions: LeafsRus and egd27

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You think these guys are tougher than Polak and Hainsey even Zaitsev befor they put a lwash on him ?
Polak was on his way out before Dubas got here. And you actually want him back? Good lord.

You think Hainsey and Zaitsev are "tough"? That's the toughness we're missing that will push us over the edge? They are tougher than Tavares, Muzzin, Johnsson, Engvall, Timoshov, Holl...? If so, I question what you mean by tough and how important it actually is.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Polak was on his way out before Dubas got here. And you actually want him back? Good lord.

You think Hainsey and Zaitsev are "tough"? That's the toughness we're missing that will push us over the edge? They are tougher than Tavares, Muzzin, Johnsson, Engvall, Timoshov, Holl...? If so, I question what you mean by tough and how important it actually is.

I think this is just a simple miscommunication. He means Hainsey and Zaitsev are tough to watch when they get hemmed in for a full shift at a time.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Fuhr analogy is one I have used before as well. When referring to making timely saves,that's the best example for Freddy. I think he is physically capable,but he needs someone to help his in -game attitude.

Unfortunately, I think that money goalie role is mostly mental fortitude.

The modern goaltender seems to be more focused on flawless technical deployment so as to never resort to the spectacular, desperation save. But the kind of system the Leafs are using kind of dictates that you need a guy back there who is supremely confident, a battler and just hates to lose.

Jonathan Quick might be a better modern example. The guy was acrobatic, cocky and loved to battle in the heat of the moment.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jonathan Quick might be a better modern example. The guy was acrobatic, cocky and loved to battle in the heat of the moment.
Quick also has a reputation for complaining. Look at this goal between Toronto and Los Angels that was waived off right away and Quick's reaction, despite Matt Martin being taken down by a Kings player into him at the 5:33 mark of this video.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
We should probably take a look at Robin Lehner if he gets to free agency this next year. Andersen is on the clock!

If he continues to have these long stretches of inconsistent play we should consider the possibility of trading him in the offseason.

I hope that Andersen can turn it around with a healthier blue line and some additional blue line toughness, he deserves that at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14 and LeafsRus

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
As with most athletes, confidence is a major factor. I've watched Freddy play for a while now, and I don't think it's as much workload, as it is confidence. Sure, workload can wear you down, when he's receiving the most shots in the league. But with the team playing more of a run and gun style, the amount of goals against will dig away at your confidence.

I hope the leafs go out and get a player or two, to help team d and the blueline. I'm sure Freddy will get back to playing better, it however still wont be enough to go deep in the playoffs if this teams blueline and team d (and goaltending) doesnt improve.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That's a really good idea if you want to do what the average NHL team does so you too can be an average NHL team. I would hope management's standards are a little higher.

How much does a good back-up cost? 2 million? Go try your exercise again and see what the past few cup winners have been spending on their goaltending. It's almost exclusively been a sub-6 million dollar starter with a million dollar back-up.
Well right now the Leafs are a pretty average team even with all that offensive firepower. Rather than having the highest paid group of forwards in the league maybe the Leafs should have spread some money around to the D and back up goaltending.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seems like Mike Johnston is the only one in the media who watches the games. He said the reason Leafs are out of the playoffs is because Andersen hasn't been good.
He does know more compared to the non Leafs fans on the main boards. When I mentioned how Andersen hasn't been good recently they thought I was crazy for blaming him and none of their other players.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wonder if the lack of hitting is because of Babcock and his no penalties crusade throughout his career. If you see a D-man hitting a guy...it shouldn't become big news...but yet it does because we never see it. Muzzin used to crank people all the time in LA...how often does he do it now? I think somebody told him not to be aggressive because it might cause the other team to ramp it up as well....Let sleeping dogs lie is what we want. Can you win that way in the playoffs?...dunno..
No

Mar 26, 2010
Seems like Mike Johnston is the only one in the media who watches the games. He said the reason Leafs are out of the playoffs is because Andersen hasn't been good.
There is no question about that.

The real question is, when is Dubas going to do something about it.

Reactions: Al14

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Andersen is better when he plays a shit load of games.

But hes been pretty terrible for almost a calender year. He had 1 good month and 6/7 good games against Boston.

Very hot and cold. Need more consistency

Reactions: Al14 and Luckylarry

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

Pokak has played really well after exiting Leafs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Andersen is better when he plays a **** load of games.

But hes been pretty terrible for almost a calender year. He had 1 good month and 6/7 good games against Boston.

Very hot and cold. Need more consistency
True, but ALL Leaf’s players need to commit to the defensive game. Too many guys only play hard when they have the puck.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We can only hope that being at the All-Star game with top players from around the NHL will help Freddy regain his confidence...that is unless he gets absolutely lit up, lol.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad