Speculation: Fred Chabot

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Very small sample size, but has Burke been able to fix Dubnyk? If so, how does Chabot still have a job?

I think we're all wondering. What an in your face moment for our org.

Dubnyk spending most of the game looking like a real NHL netminder and Scrivens still mishandling pucks.

Dubnyk though did lose his cool and let us back in the game towards the end. Dubs was an adventure by games end. Looked brutal on the play where he got bailed out by Erat. That's the Dubnyk I remember..

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I think we're all wondering. What an in your face moment for our org.

Dubnyk spending most of the game looking like a real NHL netminder and Scrivens still mishandling pucks.

Dubnyk though did lose his cool and let us back in the game towards the end. Dubs was an adventure by games end. Looked brutal on the play where he got bailed out by Erat. That's the Dubnyk I remember..

He had the fish out of water thing going on in the 3rd no doubt but he has the undefeated record with Phoenix which only have a couple more points than us - Id say he would be an upgrade for us over either of fasth or scrivens based on how he is playing now anyways.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No, he's been ok Recently, he'll go back to bad goals because he's not good. It's not "simple" with goalies, unless you're just being disingenuous. The Oilers goalies this year haven't been consistent, that's a the problem. A goalie coach can't just "make a guy" consistent.

I never said anything about giving up bad goals or being inconsistent. His technique has been corrected under Burke. That's not even debatable. It's fact.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly the biggest issue I've noticed is what Scrivens and Dubnyk have said and what has been said about them.

Sure there are issues with how these guys play at times, but why could both guys be successful here while not changing anything technical?

The talk around Dubnyk was he was struggling mentally with his family(new kid?) and not being able to juggle things last year. You listen to Scrivens this year and last year and you can tell that he's a goalie. He talks way too much about how he just needed to focus mentally better and not get too worried.

I don't know that we need to bring a guy in to show these guys how to play better, we just need someone that can sit down with these guys and get them focused.

Maybe a guy like Joseph who while he's an ex-oiler he had to deal with a lot of crap over the years. He's not only a guy that had to excel on a poor Oiler team, but he's dealt with the media pressure's of Toronto. Maybe he's not the best goalie coach technically, but a guy with his experience just to talk ***** with Scrivens and Fasth might be all we need.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I never said anything about giving up bad goals or being inconsistent. His technique has been corrected under Burke. That's not even debatable. It's fact.

:help: Fact? Not debatable?

Don't know where you're getting that from..All we've heard, including from DD himself, is he's more focused now and stands up more. Nothing else about technique.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
The biggest strike against Chabot is watching how many easily-correctable mistakes Scrivens continually makes (the way he handles the puck, passes, wanders behind the crease) that a good coach would beat out of him. Scrivens isn't a dumb guy, listening to him talk you can tell he's intelligent and observant, so I'm pretty sure he's an extremely coachable guy as well.

If the coach isnt' hammering him on changing those habits then the coach is blind.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The biggest strike against Chabot is watching how many easily-correctable mistakes Scrivens continually makes (the way he handles the puck, passes, wanders behind the crease) that a good coach would beat out of him. Scrivens isn't a dumb guy, listening to him talk you can tell he's intelligent and observant, so I'm pretty sure he's an extremely coachable guy as well.

If the coach isnt' hammering him on changing those habits then the coach is blind.

I really don't think you can blame the coach for a goalie wandering. It's no different than telling a player to make sure he goes to the net. If he doesn't go to the net it's not on the coach.

You can tell guys all you want what to do and what not to, but if they don't listen what are you going to do? How many times was Rollie told not to bat the puck and play the puck? He continued to do it.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I really don't think you can blame the coach for a goalie wandering. It's no different than telling a player to make sure he goes to the net. If he doesn't go to the net it's not on the coach.

You can tell guys all you want what to do and what not to, but if they don't listen what are you going to do? How many times was Rollie told not to bat the puck and play the puck? He continued to do it.

I loved when he did that haha. He was really into the game when he started doing that. the goal where he batted it and Peca picked up and scored on the breakaway was a thing of beauty

edit: woops, i got two plays mixed up.. didn't bat that one.

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Throw money at Marty to see if he'll become a coach. All the other good goalie coaches seem to have been....good goalies.

The only member of the "Old Boys Club" I want to see come back is Ranford.

Why?

Because he's actually won **** as a coach. Won a cup last year as Quick's goaltending coach.

But I don't think any amount of money will get him to leave LA for this clustertruck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad