Speculation: Fred Chabot

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
^a little from column A and a little from column B. the other problem is that there may be a lack of availability as far as the players that MacT really wants and also perhaps a lack of desire on the player's part to want to come here to play. i think MacT did the best he could as far as goalies went at the time, hoping one might do a Ben Bishop and become a #1 goalie. (and MacT did try to get Bishop).

This really is the issue with a lot of this team.

We just don't have the someone in this organization that is getting more out of their job and that's what we really need.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, over the past little while listening to Bob, I'm left with the impression that he's not a big fan of Chabot.

I mean, asking Friedman straight out "Are there any young up-and-coming goalie coaches out there?" doesn't exactly come across as a ringing endorsement of the goalie coach the Oilers have currently employed.

Chabot might not even be the issue, maybe we've just had **** goalies all along. Unfortunately for him he's in a position that regardless of what you are given at some point you have to show something or you are gone.

It's kinda like Pete Peeters. He leaves and then a guy like Fasth came out and praised him for his time in ANA.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
all i know is that this team should be showing a hell of a lot more than we've gotten so far this season. i thought Philly GM Ron Hextall was out of line when he made an off comment about the Oilers "endless rebuild", but you know he's right! if no playoffs yet, they should be at least showing more signs of life than they are and less signs of the same mistakes they have continuously made on the ice over and over again for years that cost us games and valuable points in the standings.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Going out and looking at different candidates would have been too difficult for the Oilers. If you're within shouting distance you get a contract.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
all i know is that this team should be showing a hell of a lot more than we've gotten so far this season. i thought Philly GM Ron Hextall was out of line when he made an off comment about the Oilers "endless rebuild", but you know he's right! if no playoffs yet, they should be at least showing more signs of life than they are and less signs of the same mistakes they have continuously made on the ice over and over again for years that cost us games and valuable points in the standings.

Going out and looking at different candidates would have been too difficult for the Oilers. If you're within shouting distance you get a contract.

I really don't know how much difference coaching is going to do for this team. Sure it might get us some more points, but really as a whole this team is going no where in the West with this team. We are built for the East and no amount of coaching changes is going to take this team into a contender.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
I really don't know how much difference coaching is going to do for this team. Sure it might get us some more points, but really as a whole this team is going no where in the West with this team. We are built for the East and no amount of coaching changes is going to take this team into a contender.

Coaching is one of many problems. Management, Scouts, Players, etc. are just as bad.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
watching canucks game. didnt even know dubs was in it. Looks so different.Stance looks like he fills the net more. watching the game on mute on the laptop while I watch tv. Looks impressive

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Very small sample size, but has Burke been able to fix Dubnyk? If so, how does Chabot still have a job?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Very small sample size, but has Burke been able to fix Dubnyk? If so, how does Chabot still have a job?

Burke, imo, is the best goalie coach in the league. He's fixed a LOT of the issues that plagued Dubnyk when he was here, and it really didn't come as a surprise. And yes, Chabot needs to go. I've been saying it for a long time

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
chabot should be bought out and we should pay dubnyk 2M per year to be our new goalie coach as he will know sean burkes secrets

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Burke, imo, is the best goalie coach in the league. He's fixed a LOT of the issues that plagued Dubnyk when he was here, and it really didn't come as a surprise. And yes, Chabot needs to go. I've been saying it for a long time

He also totally turned Mike Smith's career around. Very similar situation to Dubnyk.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Duh, why didn't I think of it before. Of course we didn't fire Chabot in the off-season. LoweT kept him around to be one of the fall guys for this season. Howson is probably the next fall guy after Chabot. We finally get to firing Eakins in the 16-17 season and Messier steps in. Then we work on restocking the fall guy shelf. Lowe might be terrible at building a hockey org, but he is the friggin man when it comes to keeping his job.

Last edited:

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I really don't know enough about how Chabot does his job and how he might be excelling or failing, therefore I don't have an opinion. There are enough uneducated opinions as it is.

How do any of us have the authority to have an opinion on anything involved with coaching or management? lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Chabot doesn't have as much of an impact as SO many assume or want to believe, but he'll be fired, rightfully so, with everyone (but Ramsay) when the Staff gets dumped. I don't know who you get, maybe one of those guys from Finland that's growing all those tenders.

Gambl0r83*

Chabot doesn't have as much of an impact as SO many assume or want to believe, but he'll be fired, rightfully so, with everyone (but Ramsay) when the Staff gets dumped. I don't know who you get, maybe one of those guys from Finland that's growing all those tenders.

Exactly, the goalie coach can only do so much. It's the system that affects a Goalie's swagger. Ever since Eakins took over, the goalies have all been ****. His hardnosed simplistic defensive matrix is so rookie. NHL is full of genius coaches, he is way out of his league

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Exactly, the goalie coach can only do so much. It's the system that affects a Goalie's swagger. Ever since Eakins took over, the goalies have all been ****. His hardnosed simplistic defensive matrix is so rookie. NHL is full of genius coaches, he is way out of his league

No, the goalies were junk before that too. The last goalie who wasn't junk was Roloson, 1/2 a year of Garon that one year and Habby for part of that year before he and Whitney went down and started the march toward Taylor Hall.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
How do any of us have the authority to have an opinion on anything involved with coaching or management? lol

Well with goalies it's fairly simple. If you know what you're looking for that is. With all the flaws in Dubnyk's technique suddenly being corrected when he got to Arizona, it's pretty obvious that Chabot wasn't doing what he was hired for. And his flaws were clear as day. What about a guy like Scrivens who can have some bad habits creep in to his game, but not be as obvious? There's no way Chabot is picking up on those.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well with goalies it's fairly simple. If you know what you're looking for that is. With all the flaws in Dubnyk's technique suddenly being corrected when he got to Arizona, it's pretty obvious that Chabot wasn't doing what he was hired for. And his flaws were clear as day. What about a guy like Scrivens who can have some bad habits creep in to his game, but not be as obvious? There's no way Chabot is picking up on those.

No, he's been ok Recently, he'll go back to bad goals because he's not good. It's not "simple" with goalies, unless you're just being disingenuous. The Oilers goalies this year haven't been consistent, that's a the problem. A goalie coach can't just "make a guy" consistent.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's funny guys bring up ARI with dubnyk, but why is this considered such a successful goalie coach? How about the starter that is playing 2x the games and is god awful?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dubnyk did us a favour last night. He is much improved and changed. Basically showed the Oilers management where the biggest problem lies regarding this position. Will they do something about it? Not likely.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad