Speculation: Fred Chabot

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
A lot of people have ragged on Chabot because of Dubnyk not playing well, but he was the man here when Scrivens was playing lights out.

Personally I'm indifferent to Chabot being around.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I wonder why they won't go in a different direction?

Should the oilers extend Fred Chabot as goalie coach? Why or why not?

Terry Jones: Draft gives Oilers lots of down time
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/06/16/terry-jones-draft-gives-oilers-lots-of-down-time
Chabot should not be renewed. It's pretty obvious that he's not great at correcting flaws, and Dubnyk's fundamentals barely improved at all during his time at the big club.

With Korn gone, I'd rather we poach someone from Finland that can actually coach the position. Shame that Jukka Ropponen makes so much money with his GoaliePro clinics.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
A lot of people have ragged on Chabot because of Dubnyk not playing well, but he was the man here when Scrivens was playing lights out.

Scrivens also came from LA where he had Ranford as his goalie coach and he helped him out a lot. Scrivens played solid since the day he got here, I wouldn't really credit that to Chabot. Personally, I would rather have us go in a different direction.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Absolutely not. Dubnyk's descent should be enough evidence

Dubnyk wasn't a very good goalie when we got him, there was a lot of work to even get him to the point where he could take a fall from grace. It's hard to say whether or not he is a good goalie coach in the practices I watched it seemed like he was saying and teaching the goalies the right things. Ultimately I think Scrivens has a fantastic head for the game, on his exit interview I would of asked him a bunch of questions on how he feels about Chabot, if it could be gleaned from the questions that he really liked him and thought he was a good goalie coach I would try to keep him.

As a goalie scout though I would fire him, he's had some say on the goalies we've looked at drafting and our track record hasn't been great.

Oil80

Nov 3, 2013
Edmonton
Poor Scrivens. I hope he doesnt listen to Chabot

When Dubnyk was traded to Nashville, they said that Dubnyk needed a lot of work. He needed to unlearn some things. This should be an indication on how Chabot is as a goalie coach

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton

Scrivens got slightly worse once he got to Edmonton.

Attachments

• scrivens.png
    scrivens.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 39

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
How is renewing his contract even an option? He did nothing to help Dubnyk from when he was hired in 2009. And for those that put all the blame on Dubnyk, Chabot also didn't identify that DD wasn't a starting goalie.

He should be gone.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly, if so many are so sure he's terrible, go make your feelings known at the Oilers' offices. He hasn't been re-signed yet, if you make enough noise, they will probably just forego that. Again, if you don't like it do something about.

As for "Dubnyk" he's not 22, he's almost 30, he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH. No coach can fix that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How is renewing his contract even an option? He did nothing to help Dubnyk from when he was hired in 2009. And for those that put all the blame on Dubnyk, Chabot also didn't identify that DD wasn't a starting goalie.

He should be gone.

He probably did, first they had the ditherer who was too busy not doing anything, then they had the guy who tried as hard as possible to replace him.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
it doesnt matter who the goalie coach is because by 25 games in Fasth will be the starter and dominating.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Scrivens also came from LA where he had Ranford as his goalie coach and he helped him out a lot. Scrivens played solid since the day he got here, I wouldn't really credit that to Chabot. Personally, I would rather have us go in a different direction.

What I meant is that Scrivens play remained solid when he got here.

Scrivens got slightly worse once he got to Edmonton.

Naturally his numbers were going to take a hit here, being as the team in front of him had no concept of how to play defense. But just because Scrivens stats took a hit, doesn't mean he didn't play well

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd love to see the evidence that Chabot has done a good job since he has been here.

There isn't any, because it's not simply a measurable thing.

This is fine, if you don't want him re-signed, make a issue of it, I'm sure the team will think twice if a bunch of fans flip out in Mid June over the re-signing of a goalie coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd love to see the evidence that Chabot has done a good job since he has been here.

There is none, but there really is no evidence that he is the issue either.

What we know for sure. MacT wanted a new #1 goalie. MacT wanted a new backup. MacT wanted a new top goalie prospect.

Maybe the issue was ST and his picks of Dubnyk, Bulin, Roy, Bunz etc...

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm on the fence with Chabot. If he does re sign, I guess we'll see this year if he can prove his worth.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Pretty sad that the best defense of him is that "he might not actually have caused our problems".

No evidence that he ever actually helped anyone.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I've swung back and forth on this issue, as of today the way I look at this is that if there's any evidence that Chabot is worth retaining to assist the current goalie tandem, the only ones in possession of it would be the Oilers...certainly nobody around here has any greater insight into his job performance than what the Oilers would.

Ultimately, it's a non-issue for me. The Oilers have higher priority issues to contend with than deciding which goalie coach to have on staff.

As for Nashville's comments, I take them with a grain of salt. IMO they could easily be making excuses to cover up what amounts to a big mistake by their pro scouting department. If Dubnyk's mechanics were such a tire fire, why the hell didn't they pick up on that BEFORE trading for him?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've swung back and forth on this issue, as of today the way I look at this is that if there's any evidence that Chabot is worth retaining to assist the current goalie tandem, the only ones in possession of it would be the Oilers...certainly nobody around here has any greater insight into his job performance than what the Oilers would.

Ultimately, it's a non-issue for me. The Oilers have higher priority issues to contend with than deciding which goalie coach to have on staff.

As for Nashville's comments, I take them with a grain of salt. IMO they could easily be making excuses to cover up what amounts to a big mistake by their pro scouting department. If Dubnyk's mechanics were such a tire fire, why the hell didn't they pick up on that BEFORE trading for him?
Every team is different too. I don't know if it was WSH or who, but they were talking about how their goalie held their glove higher and turned in a bit. And they adjusted because it was hurting that goalie. Yet I've seen Scrivens doing the same and it worked for him.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
What has Chabot done to earn an extension?

I think it is insane they are even considering re-signing him.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

I don't get it. A good goalie comes to EDM and plays well and this proves what?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I really don't know enough about how Chabot does his job and how he might be excelling or failing, therefore I don't have an opinion. There are enough uneducated opinions as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad