Speculation: Fred Chabot

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
YtliIDi.jpg

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
either the pro scouts for the oilers have no clue about what a good goalie is or chabot is trash.

either you fire one or you fire them both.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Crazy hockeydb discovery of the day.

The Edmonton Oilers haven't drafted and developed a legit starting goalie in 34 years.

In 1980 they drafted Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog. Grant Fuhr played 868 games, and Andy Moog played 713.

Since that time the Oilers have drafted 35 goalies.
26 did not (or have not in the case of a few drafted in the last couple of years) ever play an NHL game
6 of them played 1 - 29 career games
JDD played 62 games
Markannen played 128
Dubnyk is leading the pack at 177 and counting.

How crazy is that. In 34 years. Fully 1/3rd of a century, the closest thing the Oilers had to a legit starting goalie was Devan Dubnyk, who was able to hold that position for about 100 games in his career before hitting the skids.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
either the pro scouts for the oilers have no clue about what a good goalie is or chabot is trash.

fire Chabot. both goalies the oilers have were pretty good at one point. now they are not.
he's done a horrible job his entire time here and time for him to fall on his sword.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chabot must have pictures of Lowe cheating on his wife. Only reason I can imagine why he still has a job.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005

I dunno if it's the goalie coach specifically but this team isn't making goalies better. Dubnyk had a solid season then imploded, Bryzgalov came in and looked good but then his play fell completely off the map, Scrivens came in and looked damned good but then his play fell completely off the map, Fasth came in and looked good but now he's not playing well... That's too many goaltenders since Eakins was hired have gone from good to **** the more time they've spent with the team. I don't believe that 4 seperate goaltenders just all of a sudden got worse. Someone or something is making these guys look bad out there.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Crazy hockeydb discovery of the day.

The Edmonton Oilers haven't drafted and developed a legit starting goalie in 34 years.

In 1980 they drafted Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog. Grant Fuhr played 868 games, and Andy Moog played 713.

Since that time the Oilers have drafted 35 goalies.
26 did not (or have not in the case of a few drafted in the last couple of years) ever play an NHL game
6 of them played 1 - 29 career games
JDD played 62 games
Markannen played 128
Dubnyk is leading the pack at 177 and counting.

How crazy is that. In 34 years. Fully 1/3rd of a century, the closest thing the Oilers had to a legit starting goalie was Devan Dubnyk, who was able to hold that position for about 100 games in his career before hitting the skids.
Oilers hasn't draft true #1 D since 1980 draft - Paul Coffey.

Since the last Cup 1990 - here are the top 6 material fwds oilers drafted:

Smyth Arnott Satan
Rucinsky Comrie Eberle
Horcoff

RNH HALL YAK are all #1 picks

so in 24 years of drafting oilers could only get 7 top 6 Fwds material. go figure

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Smyth Arnott Satan
Rucinsky Comrie Eberle
Horcoff

so in 24 years of drafting oilers could only get 7 top 6 Fwds material. go figure
Not sure why any of this is really news. We were a horrid drafting team for many, many years and at this point there is really nothing suggesting that it is getting better.

The big difference is that under the Slats era, we were able to make some really good trades that brought in guys like Niinmaa, Mironov, Hamrlik, Guerin, Weight, Salo, Joseph etc...

It's funny Slats was forced to make bold trades via a budget and was quite good at it, but since he left we've never really had too many bold moves via money pressure. It's getting to the point where fan pressure will force the hands to make a bold move, hopefully Mact and company can do half as good as slats did.

Your list is missing Hemsky.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The drafting comments above are interesting and I would suggest have something to do with an org trapped in the past and less cognizant of changes in the game and what players will be valuable going forward in the evolving game. The Oilers always seem to be chasing the past in some way. A team without a coherent plan on how to win in NHL hockey is not going to be very adept at recognizing players that can be successful in todays game.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Smyth Arnott Satan
Rucinsky Comrie Eberle
Horcoff

You missed Gagner:sarcasm:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If our management has to feel as if they're smarter than everyone else in this league (asst coach in the pressbox), maybe we should sign Brodeur for the remainder of the season.

We could run with 3 for the long run. Give Chabot the boot and let Marty mentor/coach/play up to the deadline.

The evidence against Chabot is damning. It's time for him to be shown the door.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The drafting comments above are interesting and I would suggest have something to do with an org trapped in the past and less cognizant of changes in the game and what players will be valuable going forward in the evolving game. The Oilers always seem to be chasing the past in some way. A team without a coherent plan on how to win in NHL hockey is not going to be very adept at recognizing players that can be successful in todays game.

this. there was a time when wingers were the best players (Richard, Howe), and even the small, dangling winger were some of the most valuable of players (Keon, H. Richard, Courneyor). Today, few wingers are that valuable. Even OV, while the best scorer of his era, not a top 10 most valuable player (maybe, not even top 15 once you include Goalies).

The Oilers are in love with players that can dangle. they misread (Glencross) what really consitutes a good player, all the time.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If our management has to feel as if they're smarter than everyone else in this league (asst coach in the pressbox), maybe we should sign Brodeur for the remainder of the season.

We could run with 3 for the long run. Give Chabot the boot and let Marty mentor/coach/play up to the deadline.

The evidence against Chabot is damning. It's time for him to be shown the door.

I completely agree, just one issue - would Marty be desperate enough to accept a gig here? I have my doubts.

Edit: Though it would be the ultimate send off to his HoF career if he took a crippled franchise like this and stood on his head to carry them into the playoffs. (Cue "Dreamer" by Supertramp)

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Chabot is another coaching freeloader that should have been fired last year along with Smith and Bucky but likely because they thought he had done enough at the tail end of last year with Ben and Victor, he was given a free pass for this season. i hope to HELL they show him the door after this year!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Chabot must be good buddies with Lowe and Co. The only thing we can hope for is he becomes one of the sacrificial lambs management uses to try and keep the fans from breathing down their neck.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
Bob Stauffer just now on 630 ched said "Its concerning when two goalies come here at almost the same time, and neither improve"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Bob Stauffer just now on 630 ched said "Its concerning when two goalies come here at almost the same time, and neither improve"

To be honest I didn't expect either to get better, but at the very least stay the same.

So the question becomes is Chabot the issue or did MacT make a mistake going after guys that had a combined 80 games played?

Either way there is an issue.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^a little from column A and a little from column B. the other problem is that there may be a lack of availability as far as the players that MacT really wants and also perhaps a lack of desire on the player's part to want to come here to play. i think MacT did the best he could as far as goalies went at the time, hoping one might do a Ben Bishop and become a #1 goalie. (and MacT did try to get Bishop).

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yeah, over the past little while listening to Bob, I'm left with the impression that he's not a big fan of Chabot.

I mean, asking Friedman straight out "Are there any young up-and-coming goalie coaches out there?" doesn't exactly come across as a ringing endorsement of the goalie coach the Oilers have currently employed.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Seems pretty obvious to me that no goaltender has done well at all under his time here. Most have regressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00