Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What's the plus?

Not 100% sure, but it would have to be quite good considering the contract control difference and the fact Hughes plays C. I wouldn't expect a "sell low" type of value for Hughes. On the same note, I still think Laine can be an 11 million dollar type talent, so need to be careful.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What's the plus?

In my opinion Laine is worth more than Hughes ... Maybe I am wrong but I don't see Hughes as a franchise player. I have mentioned it several times but US Program had too many top guys last year for it to be realistic, some have been carrying others ad I fear Hughes value was hence inflated.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Laine+ to the Devils for Hughes.

Hischier would be such a great C for Laine, I feel.
We are not trading Nico or jack. Laine is a one dimensional elite goal scorer but when he is not scoring he is invisible. We even argue on our board that we wouldn’t trade 7th plus a prospect for laine (some would others wouldn’t). Laine will cost a lot in a trade and a lot in cap space. Devils are probably more interested in ehlers anyways

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
In my opinion Laine is worth more than Hughes ... Maybe I am wrong but I don't see Hughes as a franchise player. I have mentioned it several times but US Program had too many top guys last year for it to be realistic, some have been carrying others ad I fear Hughes value was hence inflated.

It's hilarious. Laine at 18 blows Hughes season out of the water, and a 3 year age gap and Hughes being a center doesn't somehow magically make Hughes more valuable.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
That's true, I often forget NYI will be up against the cap. They may need to shed another salary too.

Yeah I think at minimum Lou will deal Leddy. Hopefully for a 1st/quality prospect, or at minimum a 2nd. Either way it has to be strictly for futures. Barzal, Pulock, and Toews alone could conceivably add up to about $17M in cap - maybe more. Not to mention the year after we have Pelech, Sorokin, Beauvillier, and Cizikas coming due, with no one of note coming off the books to provide space(unless you count Cizikas as that, but I'm pretty confident Lou will do everything he can to keep him around).

Isles have to get pretty creative to make this work, even if they don't make any major acquisitions.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
It's hilarious. Laine at 18 blows Hughes season out of the water, and a 3 year age gap and Hughes being a center doesn't somehow magically make Hughes more valuable.
Doesn’t really matter what happened in their 18 year old seasons. Hughes still projects as the better player in the long run. We are happy keeping Nico and Jack down the middle long term

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
We are not trading Nico or jack. Laine is a one dimensional elite goal scorer but when he is not scoring he is invisible. We even argue on our board that we wouldn’t trade 7th plus a prospect for laine (some would others wouldn’t). Laine will cost a lot in a trade and a lot in cap space. Devils are probably more interested in ehlers anyways

Some wouldn't trade 7th+prospect for Patrik Laine?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The rumor that has swirled around Winnipeg is that Laine wants a big 2nd contract. Think Marner big. The Jets are really unsure if they want to spend that on him

Jets are foolish. Fire Maurice and let Laine be the star of Winnipeg. He has done everything they’ve asked him to do and at some point Winnipeg has to look at the amount of young talent that has wanted out of the years and realize why.

It is going to be Selanne 2.0.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Doesn’t really matter what happened in their 18 year old seasons. Hughes still projects as the better player in the long run. We are happy keeping Nico and Jack down the middle long term

Hughes "could" be better in the long run, but there is plenty to suggest that he might not.

There is no problem with keeping 2 young centres and building that way. It's a good plan.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Some wouldn't trade 7th+prospect for Patrik Laine?
If the prospect happens to be ty smith it’s a no go but if the prospect is Nolan Foote or a different forward you would get different answers. Others just say they would happily stand pat and take Holtz at 7 if we want a goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad