Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Would Winnipeg entertain sending both to Montreal?

Ehlers + Laine for Domi (re-signed), Tatar (50% retained), Petry, Caufield, 16th OA pick

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If the prospect happens to be ty smith it’s a no go but if the prospect is Nolan Foote or a different forward you would get different answers. Others just say they would happily stand pat and take Holtz at 7 if we want a goal scorer.

If Holtz's career high exceeds Laine's career low (30) I would be surprised. To each their own, I guess.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
how is that perfect value wise?

danualt is upcoming UfA and Ehlers is cost controlled for the next 4 seasons at 6M.

If danault is traded, he will sign an extension in the water of Ehlers. So when we talk about Danault it's always resigned.

No one would trade Danault if there wasn't a resign guarantee.

Ehlers is a driver and has Gallagher motor, so for me his value is around an amazing defensive 2c like Danault.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The rumor that has swirled around Winnipeg is that Laine wants a big 2nd contract. Think Marner big. The Jets are really unsure if they want to spend that on him

That doesn't sound surprising.

Laine has been one of the top goal scorers since entering the league and took a bridge from ELC, his next contract will be buying UFA years as well, not just RFA.

Not commenting if he's worth it.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
If Holtz's career high exceeds Laine's career low (30) I would be surprised. To each their own, I guess.
Not exactly comparing the two or how their careers project but just some point out they would rather keep the assets and cap space that it would require to get Laine and Holtz does project as a goal scorer which would fill a need for us. Think of it as an asset management decision. Anyways you guys should keep Laine. I think more devils fans would be on board with acquiring ehlers.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
DROUIN's MOTOR ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
DOMI is discutable, but this year he had no show.

Drive + motor = Gallagher, Ehlers,Konecny, Rossi, etc.
Asides his tenacity, he's similar to what we already have tons in. Skilled fast players that dont really finish.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Call me crazy, but I wouldn’t do Pulock for Laine straight up as an isles fan

You are not crazy. Jets think Laine has Ovi value at the age of 22 when his career stats are 37 goals and 66 pts. This on a stacked top 6 offensive team too!

Laine is good but not that good!

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
There could be a hockey trade around Ehlers for Danault

While Danault would be a good fit to help WPG with their Center problems, his contract status and that Ehlers is a better player still means MTL would need a significant add there from MTL.

I would agree that the 2 teams make a good fit in terms of needs and excess however what package specifically remains to be seen. I would think it would probably start with a Domi+Mete type of package and go from there. If Danault had an extension in place I think things could change, but that wouldn't change his value much and those types of unknowns rarely do anything but derail conversations on here.

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
You are not crazy. Jets think Laine has Ovi value at the age of 22 when his career stats are 37 goals and 66 pts. This on a stacked top 6 offensive team too!

Laine is good but not that good!
It’s not that I don’t like Laine, it’s just his issues with consistency and rumors of a massive contract ask that would scare me off if the isles are sending a piece as valuable as Pulock back.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If danault is traded, he will sign an extension in the water of Ehlers. So when we talk about Danault it's always resigned.

No one would trade Danault if there wasn't a resign guarantee.

Ehlers is a driver and has Gallagher motor, so for me his value is around an amazing defensive 2c like Danault.

"We always like to have made up scenarios that are convenient to our biased delusions lol"

I'm not sure if you have ever heard about this thing called rentals before?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s not that I don’t like Laine, it’s just his issues with consistency and rumors of a massive contract ask that would scare me off if the isles are sending a piece as valuable as Pulock back.

Of course. That's why the Jets would consider trading him. 66 pts and 37 goals and he starts to ask for $9M or $10? Habs can afford this but the Islanders can't. You are in cap trouble after Barzal's contract.

Laine's shot is unreal. But he has flaws and he's not a complete forward. If this was false, the Jets would not even consider trading him. Reality

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

You can be both of the opinion that one player is far more valuable than the other but due to team specific circumstances trading one player for the other still would not make sense. Its pretty common.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
He is one of the super delusional Habs fans. All Montreal garbage is worth top 6 players from every other team. :laugh:

Contracts, age, positional need should all be ignored according to that poster.
Lets see. He explained that it would be a signed Danault - for less than Ehlers and longer. Danault is only 3 years older than Ehlers. He plays the more important position. They have similar numbers - Danault would probably be around 50 points as a 2nd line c. Come back when you get a clue.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Agreed. The undervaluing of Laine is comical. Everyone would want him, except when it comes down to offer fair value.

It's fine to want to spend cap $ another way, or not want to spend the assets required, but he's elite, young, and would cost a tonne to acquire.
I have dreamt many times of him in a Habs jersey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While Danault would be a good fit to help WPG with their Center problems, his contract status and that Ehlers is a better player still means MTL would need a significant add there from MTL.

I would agree that the 2 teams make a good fit in terms of needs and excess however what package specifically remains to be seen. I would think it would probably start with a Domi+Mete type of package and go from there. If Danault had an extension in place I think things could change, but that wouldn't change his value much and those types of unknowns rarely do anything but derail conversations on here.

I doubt the Habs are after Ehlers to be honest. Great talent but not the type of winger we need.

Reactions: Merrrlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->