Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. The undervaluing of Laine is comical. Everyone would want him, except when it comes down to offer fair value.

It's fine to want to spend cap $ another way, or not want to spend the assets required, but he's elite, young, and would cost a tonne to acquire.

Is 70 pts and 40 goals in trade value as a player undervaluing him? His career averages over 4 seasons so far is 37 goals and 66 pts? This playing on a stacked top 6 with the Jets?

The point I've been making all along is he is a very good talent with the shot he has but he does come with flaws and is not a complete forward. He's not Ovechkin. Ovi had 52 goals and 106 pts in his first season with the Caps and the next best on that team was Zubrus with 57 pts. :laugh:.

So yeah, I don't believe setting Laine's trade value at 70 pts and 40 goals is undervaluing him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Exactly. Just go ahead and trade for Danault because a random, biased Habs fan guarantees he'll sign an extension. I'm sure every NHL GM would take that to the bank.

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but there is no reason to make that assumption, nor does it change his value.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Is 70 pts and 40 goals in trade value as a player undervaluing him? His career averages over 4 seasons so far is 37 goals and 66 pts? This playing on a stacked top 6 with the Jets?
Jets are stacked cuz of players like laine and ehlers

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I doubt the Habs are after Ehlers to be honest. Great talent but not the type of winger we need.

Imo Ehlers is so good he is the winger that every team would need. He would be MTL's best winger by a good margin imo, even with how much I love Gally.

While I understand stylistic preferences what MTL truly needs is simply actual high end talent, which is what Ehlers is. Even if not, like I have said before, the 2 teams make such good trade partners I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't a trade.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Imo Ehlers is so good he is the winger that every team would need. He would be MTL's best winger by a good margin imo, even with how much I love Gally.

While I understand stylistic preferences what MTL truly needs is simply actual high end talent, which is what Ehlers is. Even if not, like I have said before, the 2 teams make such good trade partners I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't a trade.
Disagreed. We need a finisher

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jets are stacked cuz of players like laine and ehlers

Yes but you forgot the other top 6 talent too. My point is this. I feel the Jets fan base are being offended cause nobody wants to give them a young Ovi trade return. Ovechkin had 52 goals and 106 pts in his first season and that top 6 was not stacked... next best was Zubrus with 57 pts.

Laine's career stats are 37 goals and 66 pts after 4 seasons. I have his trade value set at 70 pts and 40 goals. His trade value is not 80+ pts and 50 goals. Same as Domi... his career stats are 56 pts and 18 goals (close to that I believe). I have his trade value at 60 pts and 25 goals.

So people feel like they can jump on Domi's back after his age 24 season but not jump on Laine's back after his age 21 season? And then they have the nerve to use Domi's age 20-22 years as a prime indicator? Laine > Domi. I agree with this. But if the Habs add Caufield on top of Domi as well as a 2nd and a NHL ready RD prospect (Fleury), the value is there.

Domi has flaws but so does Laine. You take away Laine's shot and what kind of player is he?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Disagreed. We need a finisher

I would agree that is a skill set that MTL would be looking for, but that doesn't change my stance that MTL isn't even close to being good enough at the moment for the conversation to go much past simply needing more talent, especially if the plan is to go with Suzuki/KK as the teams 2 top 6 centers.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but there is no reason to make that assumption, nor does it change his value.
Exactly. You're preaching to the choir. But trying to get that across to biased fans who are trying hard to push their lowball offer as fair value is pretty much impossible.

Reactions: Nedarb

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Exactly. You're preaching to the choir. But trying to get that across to biased fans who are trying hard to push their lowball offer as fair value is pretty much impossible.

"You don't go to online message boards to seek expert opinions" haha and that is paraphrased more nicely than the actual quote

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The point I've been making all along is he is a very good talent with the shot he has but he does come with flaws and is not a complete forward. He's not Ovechkin. Ovi had 52 goals and 106 pts in his first season with the Caps and the next best on that team was Zubrus with 57 pts. :laugh:.

So yeah, I don't believe setting Laine's trade value at 70 pts and 40 goals is undervaluing him.

The undervaluing is what you think a 23 year old 40 goal scorer who sits at 6th in NHL history for goals scored before age 23 returns. The cap could be a limiting factor, but not Laine's talent and production.

But hey, I already accepted Domi, Caufield, and a 1st because I've learned Laine is a 1 dimensional headcase and I sure don't want that on my team anymore! ;)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He is one of the super delusional Habs fans. All Montreal garbage is worth top 6 players from every other team. :laugh:

Contracts, age, positional need should all be ignored according to that poster.

I think we - fans of canadian teams - should be more humble indeed. None of our teams has won a SC in close to thirty years.
While this is true MTL had a bad year, it was only 3 points in 18/19 below WPG the year before in the regular season. WPG despite their talent upfront did not manage to beat the Flames who did not perform well against Dallas.

Trying to be fair, Danault would of course be 2C on the Jets if traded there. He has not the offensive upside of Ehlers that is for sure though. I agree about your point regarding the contract but age is irrelevant here, we should stop thinking that qvalue decreases so quickly. Giving too much money to young players is not working (TOR WPG EDM), they have potential they score points but I prefer having O Reilly with 70 points and a SC rather than Marner scoring 100 points at 23.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010

Remember when you said the offer of Domi, Caufield, Mete, 1st wasn't close to landing Laine and then fans from other teams called you insane?

And you're calling others biased?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The undervaluing is what you think a 23 year old 40 goal scorer who sits at 6th in NHL history for goals scored before age 23 returns.

But hey, I already accepted Domi, Caufield, and a 1st because I've learned Laine is a 1 dimensional headcase and I sure don't want that on my team anymore! ;)

Laine is 22 bud and he don't turn 23 until the end of next season. I'm afraid you ask for more value now :laugh:

Nobody is disputing his goal scoring talent. How about you list all those guys who are top 10 in NHL history before the age of 23 (I mean 22). I'd like to see a link to that list and what kind of players they were beyond their goal scoring talent.

It's just comical to me. You prefer not to give him $9M or $10M cause you have concerns but when you try to trade him, he has Ovechkin value. He is a sick goal scoring talent yes. I think everyone agrees with that. But I have to say it again.... Blake Wheeler said it best... "He's not doing this all on his own"

70 pts and 40 goals is fair trade value IMO.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If I was Dubas, which I could never be, because he's a genius. I would be phoning up Chevy and doing a Nylander for Laine deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Of course. That's why the Jets would consider trading him. 66 pts and 37 goals and he starts to ask for $9M or $10? Habs can afford this but the Islanders can't. You are in cap trouble after Barzal's contract.

Laine's shot is unreal. But he has flaws and he's not a complete forward. If this was false, the Jets would not even consider trading him. Reality

Laine scored 63 in 68 games this season, you are putting way too much weight on his 1 down year.

He scored 64 in his rookie season at 18y, which is ....ng fantastic, he was 2nd in Rocket race at 19y and scored 70 points, down season and back to 63 in 68.
He was damm 21y when corona messed up the season

At this point I'd like to see him get traded and someone take the chains off his wrist and let him be Laine the sniper with a quality C next to him, not Little.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
You are not crazy. Jets think Laine has Ovi value at the age of 22 when his career stats are 37 goals and 66 pts. This on a stacked top 6 offensive team too!

Laine is good but not that good!

His career high in goals is 44 and he's paced at 30+ goals every season he's played. This year he really focused on his defensive game and as being more of a playmaker and he put up 63 points in 68 games. If he got hot down the stretch his first PPG season was within reach. (Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda for sure)

The reality is that he has 4 - 30+ goal seasons under his belt at an age when most guys are just breaking into the league. He is still improving. To acquire him would be costly but he scores like very few others can. Over his 4 years in the league he is tied for 7th league wide in terms of goals scored.

upload_2020-8-31_15-31-51.png

These are the elite names in the game today. Say what you want about Laine but even at his age he likely scores better than anyone on your team (unless you cheer for the Oilers, Leafs, Caps, Bolts or Bruins)

You'll also notice that because he hasn't taken over Wheeler's top line spot yet that he averages 2-3 minutes less per game than most other guys on this list. And I know you'll say "he couldn't even beat out Blake Wheeler...." but:

upload_2020-8-31_15-36-16.png

Wheeler has also been elite production wise during this time-frame.

Servelli has no insider information he is just saying what makes sense based on drafting the best player available. Then you trade from your surplus to address your area of weakness. It is strange that Kyle Connor's name isn't there too as I would expect we'd move one of the 3 to help find a long term solution at 2C or 1RD

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Laine is 22 bud and he don't turn 23 until the end of next season. I'm afraid you ask for more value now :laugh:

Nobody is disputing his goal scoring talent. How about you list all those guys who are top 10 in NHL history before the age of 23 (I mean 22). I'd like to see a link to that list and what kind of players they were beyond their goal scoring talent.

Yup, worth more now. :)

Laine moves past Crosby for 7th-most goals before age 22

He got 5 more before the end of the season to sit at 7th (not 6th). Maybe with some luck and not having the sort season, maybe could have taken a run at 5th all time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine scored 63 in 68 games this season, you are putting way too much weight on his 1 down year.

He scored 64 in his rookie season at 18y, which is ....ng fantastic, he was 2nd in Rocket race at 19y and scored 70 points, down season and back to 63 in 68.
He was damm 21y when corona messed up the season

At this point I'd like to see him get traded and someone take the chains off his wrist and let him be Laine the sniper with a quality C next to him, not Little.

Well if this was true, Domi's age 20-22 seasons don't matter as much either then. And his low point being bounced all over the line-up was a prorated 51 pts and 20 goals. And some have the nerve to say that 72 pts season and 28 goals was a fluke? A fluke? Only 15% of his production came on the PP and he played with Shaw full time and sometimes Drouin. And people say this don't matter? His age 23 season? Come on man.

Even with Laine rebounding this year... it prorates to 76 pts and 34 goals. Don't think I'm far off with 70 pts and 40 goals am I? I think Laine at 22 is very close to who he is. Don't think he becomes a better skater and playing physical don't appear to be his style. He has good size and hard to push around but his value is his shot.

Both suck in their own end and have to be sheltered. Realty. Laine > Domi. Not saying they are equals. But if you can try to double down on Domi's low point this past year as his flaw, you can certainly do that with Laine last year too.

Laine is not a complete forward.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

It's just comical to me. You prefer not to give him $9M or $10M cause you have concerns but when you try to trade him, he has Ovechkin value. He is a sick goal scoring talent yes. I think everyone agrees with that. But I have to say it again.... Blake Wheeler said it best... "He's not doing this all on his own"

70 pts and 40 goals is fair trade value IMO.

Where did I say I wouldn't pay him?

And what do you really think Wheeler was talking about? The fact that you think him saying Laine isn't doing it all on his own means what to you? Of course Laine isn't doing everything on his own. Can you name me a player in the NHL who does? It's funny that you think that quote means anything.

Reactions: Snowman and Nedarb

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Yes but you forgot the other top 6 talent too. My point is this. I feel the Jets fan base are being offended cause nobody wants to give them a young Ovi trade return. Ovechkin had 52 goals and 106 pts in his first season and that top 6 was not stacked... next best was Zubrus with 57 pts.

Laine's career stats are 37 goals and 66 pts after 4 seasons. I have his trade value set at 70 pts and 40 goals. His trade value is not 80+ pts and 50 goals. Same as Domi... his career stats are 56 pts and 18 goals (close to that I believe). I have his trade value at 60 pts and 25 goals.

So people feel like they can jump on Domi's back after his age 24 season but not jump on Laine's back after his age 21 season? And then they have the nerve to use Domi's age 20-22 years as a prime indicator? Laine > Domi. I agree with this. But if the Habs add Caufield on top of Domi as well as a 2nd and a NHL ready RD prospect (Fleury), the value is there.

Domi has flaws but so does Laine. You take away Laine's shot and what kind of player is he?
Nobody brought up ovy....

Reactions: Nedarb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His career high in goals is 44 and he's paced at 30+ goals every season he's played. This year he really focused on his defensive game and as being more of a playmaker and he put up 63 points in 68 games. If he got hot down the stretch his first PPG season was within reach. (Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda for sure)

The reality is that he has 4 - 30+ goal seasons under his belt at an age when most guys are just breaking into the league. He is still improving. To acquire him would be costly but he scores like very few others can. Over his 4 years in the league he is tied for 7th league wide in terms of goals scored.

View attachment 365122

These are the elite names in the game today. Say what you want about Laine but even at his age he likely scores better than anyone on your team (unless you cheer for the Oilers, Leafs, Caps, Bolts or Bruins)

You'll also notice that because he hasn't taken over Wheeler's top line spot yet that he averages 2-3 minutes less per game than most other guys on this list. And I know you'll say "he couldn't even beat out Blake Wheeler...." but:

View attachment 365123

Wheeler has also been elite production wise during this time-frame.

Servelli has no insider information he is just saying what makes sense based on drafting the best player available. Then you trade from your surplus to address your area of weakness. It is strange that Kyle Connor's name isn't there too as I would expect we'd move one of the 3 to help find a long term solution at 2C or 1RD

Laine's 109 assist sticks out like a score thumb. All the other guys on that list are more complete hockey players. Laine lives on his shot and that is reality. His goal scoring talent is insane but after that, there is nothing to brag about in his game. My point? He has very good trade value but all the guys on that list are better all around players.

I don't feel like I am off like some Jets fans think I am when I say he has 70 pts and 40 goal trade value. That's great trade value but not Ovechkin value or anyone on that list at the age of 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad