Confirmed with Link: Frank Corrado To Toronto [AHL] On 2 Week Conditioning Stint

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If Corrado has gotten 1 game in 36 and is now on a 2 week conditioning stint you can be pretty sure the team doesn't plan on him getting anywhere near 30 more games, so you can probably see that as a hint to what their plans are regarding expansion requirements for defenseman at least and it's Marincin.

I edited this to my last post but you quoted it too quickly, but he's not going to get the required games, and Vegas isn't going to take him, so despite being exposed anyway Corrado is basically as irrelevant as Lupul is to expansion at that point and nobody would ever claim that we're holding onto Lupul for expansion.

does Lupul even qualify as one of the exposed players? Don't the players a team has to expose have to be healthy? I know you can expose an injured guy but thought they would have been extra on top of what a team had to expose.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
does Lupul even qualify as one of the exposed players? Don't the players a team has to expose have to be healthy? I know you can expose an injured guy but thought they would have been extra on top of what a team had to expose.

Lupul will be exposed and can be selected but he doesn't qualify until the 2 forward, 1 D, 1 goalie minimum requirements unless he plays a handful more games.

So basically exactly like Corrado minus the injury, both won't fill enough games for the requirements, both will be exposed, neither selected, neither is being held onto for expansion purposes. Lupul is because his contract sucks nobody else wants him even if he could play. Corrado because we want him as an extra but apparntly don't want him to play unless it's absolutely necessary.

I don't believe there's an exception saying players injured for an extended period can't fulfill those requirements. Had Lupul played 70 games last year I think he would have been fine as one of 2 required forwards

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Lupul will be exposed and can be selected but he doesn't qualify until the 2 forward, 1 D, 1 goalie minimum requirements unless he plays a handful more games.

So basically exactly like Corrado minus the injury, both won't fill enough games for the requirements, both will be exposed, neither selected, neither is being held onto for expansion purposes. Lupul is because his contract sucks nobody else wants him even if he could play. Corrado because we want him as an edxtra but apparntly don't want him to play unless it's absolutely necessary.

I don't believe there's an exception saying players injured for an extended period can't fulfill those requirements. Had Lupul played 70 games last year I think he would have been fine as one of 2 required forwards
oops I see you answered my other thought.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
I hope this is a lead up to some sort of change for Corrado and the leafs. I feel like this is starting to reflect poorly on the team and on the player. Corrado is no all-star, he is a fringe NHLer, and to just refuse to do anything with him is jeopardizing his future prospects. He seems to be playing the part of good team guy by not really speaking out about the situation, but if he wants to continue a North American hockey career after this contract he should pull a Holland and gt out of Toronto.

Right now why would another team want to take a chance on him? He is either so bad he can't crack a below average defensive unit for more than a single game, or he doesn't care to play hard enough to try and improve his position. I get that he likes Toronto and would like to play here, but at some point you would think he would want to cut losses.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
babcock is a human he can and will, not play a player because he just doesnt like him. Maybe he sees corrado as just as bad as those 2 but still doesn't explain why those 2 continue to play horribly and Corrado see what was it 12mins? of ice time all season.

But at the end of the day you are right we are on a win streak so it doesnt really matter
Babcock doesn't like him because corrado didn't stick with the game plan when leafs fell behind early :popcorn:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm having a tough time deciding if it's him or if holl is dragging him down. Holl has been a tire fire this year but I am biased so I can't tell.

I think both of them have taken a step back this year. Not as concerned about Holl, but I thought Valiev had a very good year last year & with a similar step forward he should have been the best on the Marlies. He's still young though, steps back happen.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Probable the best Toronto can do is trade him for a conditional draft pick similar to the trade of Holland.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Who cares, Polak and Hunwick both have played very well overall in the last 10 games. Carrick has had his struggles lately but is much better than Corrado.

He will not be waived unless we make a trade for a D man and is our insurance policy. Babcock does not trust him as he struggles with playing within a system...seen it all the time last year. Misses rotations and pinched when he should not and fails to hinge far to much. He struggled last year with Babcocks D system and must be continuing in practice again this year. He missed a lot last year for the same reason.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think both of them have taken a step back this year. Not as concerned about Holl, but I thought Valiev had a very good year last year & with a similar step forward he should have been the best on the Marlies. He's still young though, steps back happen.

Yes he still has time but I see Dermott passing him soon if he doesn't pick it up soon. Dermott injury might have given him a little buffer but Dermott is pressing hard.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Maybe he'll go down and actually do something that will show he's worth a shot, If he's as good as some people seem to think he is, he should eat the AHL for lunch.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Yes he still has time but I see Dermott passing him soon if he doesn't pick it up soon. Dermott injury might have given him a little buffer but Dermott is pressing hard.

If I'm coaching I already would prefer Dermott on the ice over Valiev (this year), Valiev (last year) would probably be a toss up.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He'll get games, and maybe a club can grab him for their AHL team. He's basically a career AHL'er, get him on the ice down there.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Because Babcok won't play him = he sucks or there's some master plan for him that involves him spending half the year in the press-box
Guess the same goes for Leivo - he sucks too

I agree ...some fans are still thinking this is a 30 th place hockey club ,some veterans too .
better players play in the organization now ,stars on a last place hockey club ,are going to get beat out of a job by hungry players ,the leafs have more coming too ,this grundstrom kid is a perfect Toronto maple leaf candidate ,leivo cant keep up with pace of the leafs right now ,its just different seeing a well coached team ,with players competing ,phil kessel 3rd line guy and a good team ,he was godlike here for years .
some fans gotta realize ,we have some ovrerpriced players that cant make a good team .

if corrado lights up the ahl or the marlies reel of 6 straight or something he ll be back on nhl ice ,same with leivo or the rt of them ,Holland figured he deserved to half ass his way thru a Toronto career and he got his wish ,trade me to a last place team ,,,lol
this is burke /nonis anymore ,,,these guys have a real plan just like the good teams ,crappy lazy players play themselves out of the lineup ,as for leivo and corrado they should be happy they are along for the run ,,,2 years from now the next batch of leaf trained marlies wil be here

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Maybe he'll go down and actually do something that will show he's worth a shot, If he's as good as some people seem to think he is, he should eat the AHL for lunch.

?

The people high on Corrado think he has a chance to be a #4 guy at tops, but more likely a good third pairing guy, who can be more reliable than Hunny or Polak.

Doesn't mean he should dominate the AHL.

He'll still probably play very well

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I honestly feel that the Leafs have been extremely fortunate on the injury front ever since they picked Corrado up on waivers.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I honestly feel that the Leafs have been extremely fortunate on the injury front ever since they picked Corrado up on waivers.

That is correct. Hardly had a meaningful injury this year. And last January, thank goodness, Phanuef broke JVR's foot otherwise maybe we would have got a few more points not drafted Matthews.

Lupul doesn't have to be protected. He would love to go to Vegas, his home is in Malibu. Horton is a NMC, but he will waive, otherwise he doesn't get to all the parties Leafs and former Leafs have at the Air Canada Centre.

Lupul: This my thought. If he medically sound to cleared off LTIR. It would cost the Leafs a cap hit.
Lupul would be sent to the AHL to lessen the cap hit by 925,000. So Lupul and the Leafs have "conspired" not get fit enough to play in the NHL. This way the Leafs take advanatage of the LTIR cap hit and Lupul isn't riding the buses in the AHL.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
That is correct. Hardly had a meaningful injury this year. And last January, thank goodness, Phanuef broke JVR's foot otherwise maybe we would have got a few more points not drafted Matthews.

Lupul doesn't have to be protected. He would love to go to Vegas, his home is in Malibu. Horton is a NMC, but he will waive, otherwise he doesn't get to all the parties Leafs and former Leafs have at the Air Canada Centre.

Lupul: This my thought. If he medically sound to cleared off LTIR. It would cost the Leafs a cap hit.
Lupul would be sent to the AHL to lessen the cap hit by 925,000. So Lupul and the Leafs have "conspired" not get fit enough to play in the NHL. This way the Leafs take advanatage of the LTIR cap hit and Lupul isn't riding the buses in the AHL.

None of Lupul, Horton or Robidas are on LTIR - so your conspiracy theory doesn't hold much water.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site

Please go to https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs None of Horton, Lupul or Robidas are LTIR. They are IR. Toronto's projected LTIR is zero. It could change before the end of the year, but it is currently zero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad