Confirmed with Link: Frank Corrado, Peter Holland, Martin Marincin File for Arbitration

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
roster spot.
I like Holland. he's a good kid, but I'm wondering what basis does he have to really claim Arbitration.

My question is what is Holland's value to the organization? The guy is easily replaced by a Marlie's graduate with the addition of Martin and other veterans.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
roster spot.
I like Holland. he's a good kid, but I'm wondering what basis does he have to really claim Arbitration.

I mean, probably just an agent thing for the most part. It's not because he's looking for a big pay day. If he doesn't elect for arbitration, the Leafs could really never offer him anything, at least not what he wants. With arbitration, he's assured to get signed to something and it's generally in favour of the player.

I'm sure all 3 will re-sign something very reasonable within the next couple weeks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
My question is what is Holland's value to the organization? The guy is easily replaced by a Marlie's graduate with the addition of Martin and other veterans.

not sure really. which is a bummer. i like the kid like i said and it would have been nice to see him blossom here

I mean, probably just an agent thing for the most part. It's not because he's looking for a big pay day. If he doesn't elect for arbitration, the Leafs could really never offer him anything, at least not what he wants. With arbitration, he's assured to get signed to something and it's generally in favour of the player.

I'm sure all 3 will re-sign something very reasonable within the next couple weeks.

ah. i didn't think about it that way. that makes sense :)

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I'm sure his agents aren't all that dumb and feel they have a case. Even if they get a 200,000 raise, wouldn't it be worth it?

What has he done to warrant a $200k raise though Anthrax...

He hasn't done much. He hasn't really grown as a player. He hasn't improved his play.

What has he done that warrants a raise?

And no, not hating on Holland, I like him as a player, but this is a question I'm looking for an objective answer to.

EDIT: $200k raise, $1m raise, $5 dollar raise, it's all the same. What has he done to earn that, just to be clear my questions is not specific to the amount of money.

Mad Brills*

It's their Collectively bargained right.

If any job had this type of opportunity for you, you'd be lying if you didn't want to prove that you deserve a raise.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015

The leafs qualified all three, so all three have a contract. The only way they could loss contract is if they get walkaway money, which shouldn't happen.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The leafs qualified all three, so all three have a contract. The only way they could loss contract is if they get walkaway money, which shouldn't happen.

They are Restricted Free Agents, so no they don't have a contract. Had they accepted their qualifying offers, they wouldn't be going to arbitration. Leafs sending a qualifying offer to them keeps them from turning into Unrestricted Free Agents (aka Percy). Right now though, all 3 have no contracts and their rights belong to the Leafs.

If they didn't elect for arbitration, the Leafs could technically just not sign them to a contract but keep their RFA's right for the year. Plenty of examples of this in recent years like O'Reilly, Johansen, Franson, etc missing a part of training camp and the regular season because they weren't signed. Heck it happens a lot for some RFA's that go back to Europe when they aren't happy with their roles (Khokhlachev is a recent example).

With arbitration, they are almost guaranteed to be signed because they will be awarded a certain amount. None of the three will be anywhere near the threshold to allow the Leafs to walk away.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

He hasn't done much. He hasn't really grown as a player. He hasn't improved his play.

And no, not hating on Holland, I like him as a player, but this is a question I'm looking for an objective answer to.

EDIT: $200k raise, $1m raise, $5 dollar raise, it's all the same. What has he done to earn that, just to be clear my questions is not specific to the amount of money.

thanks. like - i really hate the whole "if you had this wouldn't you do it?"

well no - not really. most people say that going to arbitration isn't fun. I wouldn't elect to go somewhere where i can hear how much i'm NOT worth what I think i'm worth (and that's even if it's obvious that I AM worth what i am). I'd want to be 100 percent sure i'd win (ala PK v. Montreal)

like I said. I like Holland a lot. but during his play last year (or even his play throughout the last few years as a Leafs) what has he done to defend he'd be worth a raise. But SprDave brings up stuff I didn't consider so it makes sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't see Corrado or Holland having a future here.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
They are Restricted Free Agents, so no they don't have a contract. Had they accepted their qualifying offers, they wouldn't be going to arbitration. Leafs sending a qualifying offer to them keeps them from turning into Unrestricted Free Agents (aka Percy). Right now though, all 3 have no contracts and their rights belong to the Leafs.

If they didn't elect for arbitration, the Leafs could technically just not sign them to a contract but keep their RFA's right for the year. Plenty of examples of this in recent years like O'Reilly, Johansen, Franson, etc missing a part of training camp and the regular season because they weren't signed. Heck it happens a lot for some RFA's that go back to Europe when they aren't happy with their roles (Khokhlachev is a recent example).

With arbitration, they are almost guaranteed to be signed because they will be awarded a certain amount. None of the three will be anywhere near the threshold to allow the Leafs to walk away.

They did elect arbitration.
They all have contracts, unless they get walkaway money ...the only thing left is how much they will be rewarded, which can't be less then previous contract.

Last edited:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
thanks. like - i really hate the whole "if you had this wouldn't you do it?"

well no - not really. most people say that going to arbitration isn't fun. I wouldn't elect to go somewhere where i can hear how much i'm NOT worth what I think i'm worth (and that's even if it's obvious that I AM worth what i am). I'd want to be 100 percent sure i'd win (ala PK v. Montreal)

like I said. I like Holland a lot. but during his play last year (or even his play throughout the last few years as a Leafs) what has he done to defend he'd be worth a raise. But SprDave brings up stuff I didn't consider so it makes sense.

holland was making 900K .. odds are the leafs reupped him at the minimum 10% raise which would make it 990K. you have two choices. don't sign, and file for arbitration and then work out a contract with the team or sign to the terms.

where 200K doesn't sound like much and isn't with respects to the entire budget, it's pretty important for a guy like holland.

Not to mention, it's hard not to justify some what of a raise above 990K considering he played for nearly 14.5 minutes a game on average.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They did elect arbitration.
They all have contracts, unless they get walkaway money ...the only thing left is how much they will be rewarded, which can't be less then previous contract.

Minor detail: on Club-Elected arbitrations the award can't be less then the previous contract. There is no similar restriction on Player-Elected arbitrations. Though in practice I'm not aware of any player that got less.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No way they waive him at that price.

Even if Corrado got 900k, it wouldn't be devastating. However we shouldn't be giving him more than Carrick, and he shouldn't get more than Carrick.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

This.

When you make a % off the top, pretty clear you go for the most you can possible get. A normal agent gets 10%..... so only 500k more a year is more 50k to the agent. Makes sense to me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Minor detail: on Club-Elected arbitrations the award can't be less then the previous contract. There is no similar restriction on Player-Elected arbitrations. Though in practice I'm not aware of any player that got less.

True but Frankie C is coming off a 2-way contract (that only paid him $65k if he would be in the AHL and $600k AAV in the NHL).

If a GM offers a 1-way at less money that pays him the same in the NHL or AHL and that might be viewed as better than a 2-way deal because it guarantees the player his NHL salary no matter where he plays.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
In terms of cap, only Corrado, Holland and Marincin are RFAs left to sign and we're good?

(p.s. still need to sign a backup goalie)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

COLA

If he does what management asks what else is there?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00