Confirmed with Link: Frank Corrado, Peter Holland, Martin Marincin File for Arbitration

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm actually a little surprised he is still here now, as he doesn't really appear to be a part of Babcock's game plan and more a spare part hanging around.

I thought he would have been traded last trade deadline and then this entry draft. However neither of those things happened.

They qualified him to retain his rights and now have to go to arbitration to let someone else (unless resigned) decide how much he is worth.

If the arbitrator awards Holland a raise from his past amount, then there might be less trade interest from around the league, if they didn't want him at the lower rate earlier.

They might just walk away from the arbitrator's award - remember McArthur
I believe (not 100% sure) they must have tried trading him at some point

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Yes, a 2nd buyout window is only available to teams after the arbitration process is completed for all teams, but only for those that had players awarded contracts by a 3rd party.

It designed to allow teams to be cap compliant before the season starts to adjust to awards through the court system they themselves were not willing to give that player.

That's what I thought. Opens up another opportunity to buyout Cowen or, potentially, Lupul. I wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs are simply going to take a hearing with Corrado, knowing he has no case, so they can do this.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's what I thought. Opens up another opportunity to buyout Cowen or, potentially, Lupul. I wouldn't be shocked if the Leafs are simply going to take a hearing with Corrado, knowing he has no case, so they can do this.

Yesterday was the day for player elected arbitration and today is for Team elected arbitration taking players through the process.

I thought if Leafs RFA players hadn't file themselves yesterday, then Lou would have invoked club elected today and the true purpose solely to trigger that 2nd buyout window for the Leafs to make roster moves via buyouts.

Cowan might have escaped the 1st buyout window, but now the team has 6 weeks to resolve this before the 2nd buyout window opens (late August) to make sure he is not on Leafs cap at his full amount when the season starts.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Marincin is going to get paid.

The other two, meh.

Arbitration doesn't tend to reward players like Marincin. And even if he got paid what he's worth, he'd probably still make under 3M as he's a fairly young RFA with only two years of NHL experience.

ForSpareParts*

Can we blame Kadri for fact that we have Holland in the first place? Didn't Kadri's suspension force Nonis to move Blacker and a 2nd?

Would have been nice to have that 2nd. Blacker is still playing in the AHL. Holland might as well be an AHLer too.

Put Holland on Robidas Island or make him take a long walk on a short pier.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
They might just walk away from the arbitrator's award - remember McArthur
I believe (not 100% sure) they must have tried trading him at some point

There is a minimum amount though that the arbitrator has to offer, otherwise the team is forced to accept.

In Macarthur's case, he asked for $2.4 million, and the Thrashers didnt argue with it. The reason was that if they argued lets say for $1 million, and the arbitrator settled on 1.7 million, they would have to accept. As such they said nothing, the arbitrator was forced to side with Macarthur and it was enough that they let him walk

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can we blame Kadri for fact that we have Holland in the first place? Didn't Kadri's suspension force Nonis to move Blacker and a 2nd?

Would have been nice to have that 2nd. Blacker is still playing in the AHL. Holland might as well be an AHLer too.

Put Holland on Robidas Island or make him take a long walk on a short pier.

If Nonis hadnt have traded colborne to make room for BOTH Orr and McLaren they wouldn't have needed to trade for a centre.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
ummm he's not going to arbitration because he believes he has some big case for him to get big money. Arbitration is just a players right to have someone else decide their salary and get it over with instead of getting in a stalemate with a team and not be signed when the season comes.

It's likely he comes away with less than a million but that's not the point. He's a player with arbitration rights so he'd prefer to have an arbitrator decide instead of sitting in some kind of 700k v. 900k deadlock with management. It's just a way to ensure he will eventually have a contract if him at the team can't come to terms beforehand.

I would laugh if the arbitrator awards him 100k above the offer and we just cut bait. I wouldn't care in the least.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
There is a minimum amount though that the arbitrator has to offer, otherwise the team is forced to accept.

In Macarthur's case, he asked for $2.4 million, and the Thrashers didnt argue with it. The reason was that if they argued lets say for $1 million, and the arbitrator settled on 1.7 million, they would have to accept. As such they said nothing, the arbitrator was forced to side with Macarthur and it was enough that they let him walk

If the award is a one year contract and over 3.5m the leafs can walk away. If the award is a two year deal, the walk away right reduces it down to one year.

Odds are none if these players will be asking for 3.5m so the leafs have no walkaway rights.

I do believe there are also trade limitations involved as well.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They can't walk away unless the award is 3.5 million or more. It's not going to be anywhere near that much

As an FYI, that $3.5m threshold increases each year, by the same % that the RFA offer sheet compensation increases. So the threshold should be somewhere around $4.0m this season.

Just a note as per CBA a player that has filed for arbitration can't be traded during the process and those hearings are conducted late August. So none of these 3 players will be going anywhere during the summer.

The arbitration cases does open up another buyout window for the Leafs after all NHL arbitration cases are concluded and they might use that to clear up any Cowan, Lupul or other unresolved issues heading into training camp.

You're probably mixing up offer sheets and salary arbitration. Players going to salary arbitration can be traded at any time, before or after the arbitration hearing.

Yes, a 2nd buyout window is only available to teams after the arbitration process is completed for all teams, but only for those that had players awarded contracts by a 3rd party.

It designed to allow teams to be cap compliant before the season starts to adjust to awards through the court system they themselves were not willing to give that player.

The 2nd buyout window opens up after a team's last arbitration case is settled. It does not require an actual arbitration award, just signing an arbitration player to a contract before the hearing will open the window.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Arbitration doesn't tend to reward players like Marincin. And even if he got paid what he's worth, he'd probably still make under 3M as he's a fairly young RFA with only two years of NHL experience.

You can use advanced stats in arbitration now.

I would be very surprised if he's awarded under 2.5M. I can see him getting close to 3 on a 1 year deal.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You can use advanced stats in arbitration now.

I would be very surprised if he's awarded under 2.5M. I can see him getting close to 3 on a 1 year deal.

I don't see how he has any leverage in asking for that much money, let alone being awarded that in a hearing.

He's coming off of a $700,000 one-year deal. I'd be shocked if he got anything north of $2 million.

I expect something around $1.5 myself.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
If Nonis hadnt have traded colborne to make room for BOTH Orr and McLaren they wouldn't have needed to trade for a centre.

how nonis still has a job within hockey after his short but disastrous time as Leafs GM I do not understand

Mad Brills*

I predict 1.6 for marincin, 1.3 for holland, 850k for corrado

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I don't see how he has any leverage in asking for that much money, let alone being awarded that in a hearing.

He's coming off of a $700,000 one-year deal. I'd be shocked if he got anything north of $2 million.

I expect something around $1.5 myself.

the leafs could have tried to simply qualify then at a 10% raise level.. which in the case of him, it's probably too low for sure.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Those who prefer holland > bozak don't really pay attention now do they? I can't stand both but I'll take bozak for sure

I think this year you'll finally see Bozak in a roll better suited for him. I've never understood the hate. He plays hard and consistently produces at a rate that's well worth his cap hit. He just isn't an elite player but ya he's far superior to Holland as he's a legit NHL player and Holland is still a 13th forward at best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad