Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Elliott Friedman on Sportsnet predicting Corrado will be picked up on the waiver wire....would be a shame, but with Tryamkin, Subban and Brisebois in the system, they should be fine...and will probably mean the Biega is the first call-up.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If teams were able to claim players for their farm team on waivers, i'd think Vey's contract would scare teams off. We take for granted this organization's willingness to bury money in the minors like that...1 million bucks on a 1-way. There are a lot of organizations where that's a non-starter.

But since that's not the case...

I can't really see it being much of a factor. If there were a team out there thinking about putting in a claim on Vey, they're going to have to be doing it because they think he can play on their NHL roster. At which point, a million bucks a schmillion bucks whatever, it's not wildly difficult to stomach at all for an nhl roster player. If you think that's what Vey is for your club, enough to put in that claim and keep him on your roster.

I think Vey's inability to take even a small step forward this summer is what will really scare teams off.

A lot of teams looking at Vey would be thinking "is he worth a look? maybe he is worth a look, but if he flames out we are stuck with a $1m AHLer....not sure he is worth the risk/reward". You would have to be 100% certain you wanted to take that risk. If Vey was 2-way there would be no harm in looking. A team like TO might not blink twice at $1m but a lot poorer NHL teams are going to risk averse.

Last edited:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
If he wants out because he blames the organization instead of himself for not being good enough ...

... then he isn't really a loss.

maybe he blames them for stunting his development by sitting him in the pressbox half of last season, and this was the final straw.

I still don't understand why that happened..

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Elliott Friedman on Sportsnet predicting Corrado will be picked up on the waiver wire....would be a shame, but with Tryamkin, Subban and Brisebois in the system, they should be fine...and will probably mean the Biega is the first call-up.

neither tryamkin or brisebois have shown they're anything to anticipate as of now

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Not to mention Theodore and Forsling.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A lot of teams looking at Vey would be thinking "is he worth a look? maybe he is worth a look, but if he flames out were are stuck with a $1m AHLer....not sure he is worth the risk/reward". You would have to be 100% certain you wanted to take that risk. If Vey was 2-way there would be no harm in looking. A team like TO might not blink twice at $1m but a lot poorer NHL teams are going to risk averse.

Any team that put in a claim isn't going to end up with Vey in the minors anyway. That's just not a concern. A claiming team can't send him to the AHL without basically offering him back to us (or others who put in a claim :laugh:)...which presumably, we'd take him back for the AHL. Same deal as Markstrom last year basically. Where nobody was able to snipe him for their own farm team.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Any team that put in a claim isn't going to end up with Vey in the minors anyway. That's just not a concern. A claiming team can't send him to the AHL without basically offering him back to us (or others who put in a claim :laugh:)...which presumably, we'd take him back for the AHL. Same deal as Markstrom last year basically. Where nobody was able to snipe him for their own farm team.
So you have to carry him for a month, you hate him, then wait? Teams pick guys off waivers for a look and then move on. Do the Canucks even claim him back? They could just wait for him not be be qualified next year?

Markstrom is a different story because he is a backup.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Corrado isn't a huge loss, I'd rather him than biega. Still doubt either of them are claimed. But corrado over biega is poor scouting.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So you have to carry him for a month, you hate him, then wait? Teams pick guys off waivers for a look and then move on. Do the Canucks even claim him back? They could just wait for him not be be qualified next year?

Markstrom is a different story because he is a backup.

I mean, if a team wanted to "take a look" at him for some reason, and then moved on...I can't imagine why the Canucks wouldn't claim him back in that scenario. He would/will be great for Utica. He's a clear #1C in the AHL. And if it came down to claiming him back like that, they'd be able to assign him straight there. It's a negligible cap impact to help keep a competitive Utica staffed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Corrado isn't a huge loss, I'd rather him than biega. Still doubt either of them are claimed. But corrado over biega is poor scouting.

Any team with a blueline in bad enough shape to be claiming either of them is probably at the very least, in a "retool" or "transitional" phase though...where the younger Corrado would make more sense.

Biega certainly outplayed Corrado in the preseason, but neither are real world-beaters at the NHL level. Age matters there.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
A scenario people are forgetting with Corrado is that if he clears he may be traded right after for another prospect / low pick. This happens often where another team is not interested in the player on their roster but interested in them as a prospect in the minors. If this were to happen I would think the odds are that it would be a equally struggling prospect coming back. Also this assumes Corrado is not happy with the situation and the Canucks are ready to part ways.

As for Biega, imo he is the most likely to be claimed. He could have and arguably should have make the Canucks. He is good enough to be a 6th-7th dman on many teams in the NHL has a really low salary.

Vey I don't see anyone claiming unless they did not scout him since early last year. He should clear and make it down to the minors.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A scenario people are forgetting with Corrado is that if he clears he may be traded right after for another prospect / low pick. This happens often where another team is not interested in the player on their roster but interested in them as a prospect in the minors. If this were to happen I would think the odds are that it would be a equally struggling prospect coming back. Also this assumes Corrado is not happy with the situation and the Canucks are ready to part ways.

As for Biega, imo he is the most likely to be claimed. He could have and arguably should have make the Canucks. He is good enough to be a 6th-7th dman on many teams in the NHL has a really low salary.

Vey I don't see anyone claiming unless they did not scout him since early last year. He should clear and make it down to the minors.

That is a possibility, if Corrado clears. That he could be swapped for a different prospect/pick if he's disgruntled with the situation or whatever.

Can't say it would make much sense to me, given the Canucks lack of depth with defensive prospects. Especially with re-entry waivers nixed. Corrado may not have made the Canucks opening roster, but if they get down into the depth chart and need a call-up for a few games, it wouldn't hurt to have him around. Nor would it hurt to have him around in the AHL where he's halfway to being a "vet" there, with an otherwise pretty young and inexperienced looking blueline.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't see them trading Corrado, he provides important depth. Vey is handy as well, probably first/second injury callup - Virtanen or McCann could easily be gone by 9 games into the season. If you want to move them do it late in the year when next year's waivers is more of a consideration, ala Baertschi/Clendening.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Making me laugh how many people disagreed with waiving Corrado and now that he is everyone's like Woo good call Jim

Or how majority hated Button til he had Hutton top 10

Or disliked Horvat because Nuke was already in the NHL

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Making me laugh how many people disagreed with waiving Corrado and now that he is everyone's like Woo good call Jim

Or how majority hated Button til he had Hutton top 10

Or disliked Horvat because Nuke was already in the NHL

It's easy to find at least one person you disagree with and then 3/4 seems like dozens

not worried about losing Frankie, rather call up Subban/Pedan/Biega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille