NHL 19 Franchise Mode Thread

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
So both of you have found that it’s best not to stack your three best players on your top line?

Is the ideal line formula two studs and a dud? The dud being a guy 85 offensive awareness or less, but with higher than average strength.
What I do is i'll take my top 2 elite guys and pair them with either a vet (85ish) or a Top 6 potential youngster. Youngster gets good experience and the two stars put up major numbers

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
top player on top line with 3rd best

2nd best with 4th best on 2nd line

whoever you want as the 3rd on each line

1-2-4 on top powerplay with top dmen

results

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Yea, I've had pretty good luck with playing plugs on the top line as well. Had JvR - Tavares - Komarov and the line put up 56, 85 and 55 points.

Huskies had a dissapointing first season, which was no surprise. However, managed to package the 3rd overall pick with another first in order to trade up and get Pitkanen, a franchise C first overall.

The following year, nabbed Bouwmeester and Couture in FA which rounded out the roster nicely. Made it to playoffs for the first time, though lost in 6 in the first round. Now heading into the third season.

Notable offseason transactions:

Traded Couture for a pair of 1sts, Grubauer for a 2nd and Giordano for a pair of 2nds to free up cap for FA and re-signings
From free agency signed Nicklas Backstrom to a 5 year $37.5M deal, Pietrangelo to a 7 year $49M deal, Pacioretty to a 3 year $20M deal, M Subban to a 2 year $3.6M deal and Dadonov to a 5 year $24.5M deal

2020-21 Seattle Huskies Opening Night Roster

JvR (85) - Tavares (92) - Komarov (82)
Pacioretty (86) - Backstrom (89) - Noesen (82)
Roy (79) - Pitkanen (86) - Dadonov (85)
Upshall (80) - Beagle (80) - McCarron (78)

Pietrangelo (88) - Carlson (87)
Muzzin (85) - Larsson (83)
Bouwmeester (82) - Boqvist (79)

Korpisalo (83)
Subban (82)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not really interested in the giant write ups, but my 2021-22 Seattle Stealth roster is currently leading the Presidents Trophy race in mid-February sims following a very disappointing 20-21 campaign where the finished in the bottom five after going win-less in a twenty game stretch. They're looking poised to reach the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time since their inaugural season where they were bounced in seven games by the eventual Cup finalist Anaheim Ducks in the 2019 Conference Final.

They dipped into the summer FA pool and signed a 27 year old Seth Jones to a 7 year, $63m contract. And added some quality wing depth with Jake Guentzel on a two year, $6m deal and a declining 35 year old Alexander Radulov to a one year $3.5m deal.

On January 4th, the Stealth traded Noel Acciari and the 3rd and 5th round picks to NJ for Pavel Zacha, who was promptly re-signed to a 2 year, $4m deal.

The current roster is...

Alex Killorn (84) - Matt Duchene (86) - Alex Radulov (82)
Jake Guentzel (83) - Pavel Zacha (80) - Calle Jarnkrok (81)
Sergey Moroza* (78) - Sam Bennett (80) - Valentin Zykov (77)
Andrew Cogliano (82) - Brandon Sutter (76) - Patrik Berglund (78)
Pascal Laberge (78)
IR: Jesper Fast (83)

Bowen Byram* (84) - Seth Jones (90)
Nick Leddy (84) - Tyler Myers (82)
Matt Grzelcyk (79) - Vili Saarijarvi (78)
Erik Gudbranson (74)

Joonas Korpisalo (86)
Oscar Dansk (78)

* Moroza drafted 1st round 5th overall in the 2018 NHL draft.
** Byram drafted 1st round 4th overall in the 2019 NHL draft.

This team is a defensive powerhouse, giving up the lowest GA in the NHL currently.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Started a franchise named the Charlottetown Bucks. Play every game and currently 54-8-1 (all-star) I usually play superstar and play every game and do well but it’s frustrating how they constantly make impossible plays. Just passed the trade deadline and I sent Killorn (82) to Chicago for Vermette (78), Halak (80), And a 3rd. Did that for cap reasons since Killorn is making almost 5 mil for the next 4 seasons. Then I took that 3rd and Korpisalo and sent it to Anaheim for Silverberg and Lindback. Lines are
Saad (83)- Tavares (90)- Silverberg (83)
Fast (81)- Debrincat (83)- Wilson (82)
Stephenson (78)- Pyatt (78)- Hyman (81)
McGinn (78)- Vermette (78)- Noesen (79)
Giordano (86)- Carlsson (88)
Ekholm (83)- Larsson (83)
Martinez (83)- Manson (83)
Grubauer (83)
Halak (80)
Will update after playoffs.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
My Quebec nordiques team is stacked (at least at forward) as of the 2026-27 season. 60-17-5 record with 3 players over a ppg, a 103 point and 99 point forward, with the later also putting up 64 goals.

Lines (with point totals):

Kaigorodov (99)-Svitov(103)-Rantanen(85)
Kapusta(38)-Paakkarinen(65)-Lindholm(59)
Roux(37)-Franco(27 in 44 games)-Petrov(39)
Zykov(23)-Kozhevnikov(30)-Kapanen(32)

Stejskal(31)-Guhle(23)
Harvey(13)-Trouba(26)
Mueller(21)-Lehtonen(16)

Carpentier: 53-11-3 926SV% 2.21 GGA
Grubauer: 7-5-1 918SV% 2.32 GAA

Team stats:

125 pts, 283 GF, 191 GA, 61 PPG (25.3%), 41 PPGA (85.3%), 30-10-1 at home, 30-7-4 on the road.

And I choked in 6 in the 1st round to the habs who had 94 points. Lol

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Does 19 still have the problem of there being too many good players in the draft?

A few months ago I went back and played NHL 12 GM mode and realized how much better drafting was. It was much harder and I had far more busts than good picks. I never even drafted a forward that made my roster during my handful of years simming.

Now in the new games every round I get a top 6/top 4 or elite player that's NHL ready. Doesn't make any sense.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Does 19 still have the problem of there being too many good players in the draft?

A few months ago I went back and played NHL 12 GM mode and realized how much better drafting was. It was much harder and I had far more busts than good picks. I never even drafted a forward that made my roster during my handful of years simming.

Now in the new games every round I get a top 6/top 4 or elite player that's NHL ready. Doesn't make any sense.
Yeah if you have your scouting system down, you can get a top 6/top 4 potential or better in just about every round

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah if you have your scouting system down, you can get a top 6/top 4 potential or better in just about every round
This what I find really dumb about the new scouting system. You find these 'gems' in the late rounds of the draft and instantly, before a game even gets played, they become highly sought after prospects by other teams. You can literally trade someone taken with a 6th round pick that season for someone taken in the 1st. It's very poorly thought out.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
This what I find really dumb about the new scouting system. You find these 'gems' in the late rounds of the draft and instantly, before a game even gets played, they become highly sought after prospects by other teams. You can literally trade someone taken with a 6th round pick that season for someone taken in the 1st. It's very poorly thought out.
This is definitely one of the biggest problems with the new scouting. I like the “gem” idea but they are too common and they should only have high value to you or potentially a small handful of teams who also had him as a gem. I’m sure they’ll dial it down but right not it’s a glaring flaw

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Another thing is I am constantly able to draft a elite potential in the 20’s of the draft. They always pan out to be core players but other teams should highly cover these prospects. Only once have I seen a team move up before me to take an elite player in the back of the 1st round. Ironically it was SJ and they paid only like 87th to move up 8 spots

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Is this the case with Fog of War on?

You can't even see the late round picks potential, overall, and trade value, until camp, so I'm guessing this is only an issue when Fog of War is off.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is this the case with Fog of War on?

You can't even see the late round picks potential, overall, and trade value, until camp, so I'm guessing this is only an issue when Fog of War is off.
No, Fog of War is on.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa

NHL 12 I think went to the opposite extreme, where even the top three picks in the draft were far from a sure thing to the players becoming NHLers.

Haven't done many drafts yet in 19, but haven't encountered NHL ready top-6/top-4 or elite players straight out of the draft. I have averaged about ~2-3 elite players and 2-3 top-6/top-4 players in every draft which seems ridiculously high.

Reactions: GagneHanson12

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
NHL 12 I think went to the opposite extreme, where even the top three picks in the draft were far from a sure thing to the players becoming NHLers.

Haven't done many drafts yet in 19, but haven't encountered NHL ready top-6/top-4 or elite players straight out of the draft. I have averaged about ~2-3 elite players and 2-3 top-6/top-4 players in every draft which seems ridiculously high.
That's true 12 was a bit extreme, but I'd rather that than having the game overpopulated with talent.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011

There are a lot of elite potentials, but I haven't had many pan out (for me or other teams) in the way their potential would say, as they are usually like 47 overall and/or overagers in the later rounds. Even after 2 yrs they're about 65-70 and don't always become more than bottom six/bottom pair/good backups. The trade value is broken but that is up to you to keep yourself in check. Doesn't mean you can't get core players or that all elites that are drafted outside of the first round will bust, but it's not as simple as draft elite = 90 overall player.

Reactions: Deku

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
That's true 12 was a bit extreme, but I'd rather that than having the game overpopulated with talent.

True, although it remains to be seen how the talent gets distributed when you get to later years in franchise mode. The main problems I had with 12 is that:

1. There was no value in doing a true rebuild because a top pick was not a guarantee to get a good player.
2. Players didn't decline enough resulting in the top point getters always being players who are in their early to mid-30s.

There are a lot of elite potentials, but I haven't had many pan out (for me or other teams) in the way their potential would say, as they are usually like 47 overall and/or overagers in the later rounds. Even after 2 yrs they're about 65-70 and don't always become more than bottom six/bottom pair/good backups. The trade value is broken but that is up to you to keep yourself in check. Doesn't mean you can't get core players or that all elites that are drafted outside of the first round will bust, but it's not as simple as draft elite = 90 overall player.

I agree. I always treated potential as a pool of points that a player has available to them for growth. The lower their overall rating when drafted, the less likely they were to reach their potential.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
2. Players didn't decline enough resulting in the top point getters always being players who are in their early to mid-30s.
I liked this though. Made it so guys over 30 weren't useless and also meant there was a reason to sign free agents every year.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
Patiently waiting for another roster update. Most AHL rosters are terribly inaccurate and lacking.
So frustrating I thought I found a work around putting all the taken out prospects on a created team and merging the rosters from the update, only to find out created teams are no longer accessible in the player movement screen :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad