NHL 20 Franchise Mode Deep Dive

OB5

May 2, 2015
Been there haha. I wonder if the owner goals are going to be more interesting this time since that part is basically going to be ignored. It's not like they have any good ones now. There's "win your first game" which is dumb and they always have something like trade for a 1st when I have already stockpiled 3 firsts from the previous year. So if I go 81-1, losing the first game whilst also having 3 1sts in the next draft, the owner is to fire me?
just trade one of those firsts for another first boom there ya go

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Do rosters update to reflect real life trades and player added to the game so the rosters are up to date? Or is it still the rosters you start your franchise with the roster all season?

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
One thing that would be GREAT, is if you had the option to edit the name and the appearance of every computer generated player, and now also coaches. Such a small simple added function that would be a really big deal for hard core players.

Everything inside franchise mode that can be edited should be editable. Immersion in a game like this is a big deal.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Do rosters update to reflect real life trades and player added to the game so the rosters are up to date? Or is it still the rosters you start your franchise with the roster all season?

Rosters won't change based on real life trades. That would kind of make franchise mode meaningless if all your moves get overidden by real life trades.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Rosters won't change based on real life trades. That would kind of make franchise mode meaningless if all your moves get overidden by real life trades.

I see your point on trades but what about players added to the game that weren't licensed to start the season? They should be added to your franchise as they are added to the base roster especially since it takes EA so long to add these players to begin with.

Reactions: Jesse86436
Sep 19, 2008
Again I'm telling you they need to allow customizable rosters so all the rookies and khl players are there DAY 1. Watch Kakko get put into a roster in like November. :laugh:

Reactions: YP44
Sep 19, 2008
this hits so many of my last wish list post i made back YEARS ago before I sold my console.

honestly tempted to hop back on so I can play some gm mode again

I haven't played GM in a while and never sold my PS4, it just gathers dust hoping for the day when chel will be good again.

I'm tempted to buy this version. Like many here I mostly play offline because online is full of exploiters and poke check spam :rolleyes:

I’d like to know if they will have the actual NHL coaches all will they all be random generated names etc.

I remember seeing that there was no contract for any of them to be in the game which is dumb. Heck, you can put coaches in any other game even Madden and NBA but no...don't you do it in NHL!

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
So the thing with franchise mode (for all sports games not just NHL) is once you start it your in your own universe. That's why you can't update the rosters mid mode because there are injuries the records in the sim are not the same as real life it would be a logistics nightmare to program.

Reactions: OddyOh

JetLeaf

Jul 26, 2015
Manitoba
While I'm still not at all happy that they appear to be ignoring BaP, these changes do sound good. I wish that someday they'll sit and talk for 4 hours about what needs to be changed/added to BaP!
All this talk about a 4 hour meeting, they should be meeting 4 hours daily..... 4 hours is not much of an effort. Imagine what they could have come up with in a full work day!

Reactions: Saitama

JetLeaf

Jul 26, 2015
Manitoba
How would that work? unless you play like one game every two days to line up with the actual schedule? Imagine playing your franchise mode and you're playing in the finals or something and your team trades a star player IRL, you want that player to fall off your team randomly? haha

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Frankly it’s nice to see them put some effort into the mode that actually sells the game itself, and not spend all their time on micro transaction modes.

exactly....those shitty modes are the biggest reason why the franchise modes and other modes such as be apro etc aren't given any time and effort for the last while.

rajiabu

Aug 27, 2012
What I’d love to see are less blank faces, idk how they don’t have pictures of half of these guys. There should be a way to generate profile faces as well so atleast there is some sort of image

Other thing I wish they did, is to allow multiple franchises to be played in franchise mode. Along the lines of GM connected but on one console. So you can play as a contender and a rebuilder for example

Last edited:

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
What I’d love to see are less blank faces, idk how they don’t have pictures of half of these guys. There should be a way to generate profile faces as well so atleast there is some sort of image

Other thing I wish they did, is to allow multiple franchises to be played in franchise mode. Along the lines of GM connected but on one console. So you can play as a contender and a rebuilder for example

I think they're just lazy, maybe some of these things will finally be added when they move to next gen.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Find a trade saved this mode for me this year. Last year because of how fast and easy it was to build super star teams with no bad contracts and 10 super stars it got boring very fast. I had to self nerf myself constant and intentially take on bad contracts to make the game fun. Now i only make trades in find a trade. Holy shit does it make it a lot more realistic in trying to find partners. Also teams wanting to send bad contracts back is great. Mode is still lacking and easy to get to a super star team but it takes a lot longer and right now thats a blast.

I play full sim and my year 3 panthers crushed the jets 10-0 and right after the game i got the notification that the jets just fired their coach. Easily my favorite moment in all of the ps4 NHL game"s" up until now.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Find a trade saved this mode for me this year. Last year because of how fast and easy it was to build super star teams with no bad contracts and 10 super stars it got boring very fast. I had to self nerf myself constant and intentially take on bad contracts to make the game fun. Now i only make trades in find a trade. Holy **** does it make it a lot more realistic in trying to find partners. Also teams wanting to send bad contracts back is great. Mode is still lacking and easy to get to a super star team but it takes a lot longer and right now thats a blast.

I play full sim and my year 3 panthers crushed the jets 10-0 and right after the game i got the notification that the jets just fired their coach. Easily my favorite moment in all of the ps4 NHL game"s" up until now.

Can you elaborate more on the find a trade feature? I kind of liked combing through the teams looking for the best fit for my team.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Can you elaborate more on the find a trade feature? I kind of liked combing through the teams looking for the best fit for my team.
You set up your trade block. You then go into Find A Trade. You select up to 5 assest (players or draft picks or both) and press triangle. It then combs all the teams and sees if any of them want what yuou are offering and if they do what they will trade back for them. Then puts all the offers in like a slide show and you can pick one to make if you like it.

I hate the old trade system because teams make trades that hurt them because the value is there. Its a horrible system. WHy would a team with 1 legit goalie and no bakc ups or prospect trade that goalie for a draft pick? Its stupid and would never happen. In find a trade you can only get offers of what teams are willing to do and not something you can force through. Fixes how broken it really was.

Reactions: OB5

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You set up your trade block. You then go into Find A Trade. You select up to 5 assest (players or draft picks or both) and press triangle. It then combs all the teams and sees if any of them want what yuou are offering and if they do what they will trade back for them. Then puts all the offers in like a slide show and you can pick one to make if you like it.

I hate the old trade system because teams make trades that hurt them because the value is there. Its a horrible system. WHy would a team with 1 legit goalie and no bakc ups or prospect trade that goalie for a draft pick? Its stupid and would never happen. In find a trade you can only get offers of what teams are willing to do and not something you can force through. Fixes how broken it really was.

Sometimes triangle gets no offers for me but L1 gets me some. Didn't bother to check why but assume one is based on trade block and other isn't.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Sometimes triangle gets no offers for me but L1 gets me some. Didn't bother to check why but assume one is based on trade block and other isn't.
Oh shit i didn't know there was 2 options. f*** i need to look into it. I get no offers a lot but everytime i do i look at the player i am trying to move and think "yeah i wouldnt want that either" so it makes me like the game more.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Also you can trade players rights for the first time. Teams don't offer much but at least you can do it. And so far the only teams willing have the cap and a legit shot and resinging so that a massive improvement.

Reactions: OB5 and NYR94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad