NHL 20 Franchise Mode Deep Dive

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
as a 95% franchise mode player, I'm very excited about this.

I think their problem over the last decade or so (NHL 09 was amazing) is that they somehow forgot or didn't realize that 90% of the people that pick up this game do it strictly for franchise mode. And they never touched it.

I don't touch HUT or EASHL or whatever it is, and only rarely play online 1 on 1. I also create a be a pro but get bored before I even turn pro because of how impossible it is to improve.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I also wish that, in the amateur draft, you got first round complete busts (even occasionally 1st OA) and also occasionally got a guy after round 1 that turned into an absolute monster. It happens all the time in real life, and it NEVER happens in this game. Not even a second rounder turns into an above average player.

If they made drafting/prospect development super realistic I'd probably spend $150 on this game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Should be receiving mine tonight.

Any tips on the best way to play GM Mode?

I'm probably going to turn off morale at first, just so I can have a little more fun. I think I read on here you can increase the scoring levels or something, so players will produce like they do IRL?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Sometimes triangle gets no offers for me but L1 gets me some. Didn't bother to check why but assume one is based on trade block and other isn't.
So L1 is amazing. It just auto makes your trade block as open as possible which is what i was doing before using the feature and then doubling back and taking everything off my block so i dont get a million trade offers while simming. So L1 just saves me 5-10 minutes and that rules. FInd a trade is easily the best thing to happen to this mode in years.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Should be receiving mine tonight.

Any tips on the best way to play GM Mode?

I'm probably going to turn off morale at first, just so I can have a little more fun. I think I read on here you can increase the scoring levels or something, so players will produce like they do IRL?
I really haven't had any problems with morale now that you can clearly see what the coaches/players have low morale for not that any of mine have had low morale at all so far its not like before where trading someone makes everyone hate you. Having a visible morale bar for 4 separate things is pretty great.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Heard goalies stats are very unrealistic in franchise? Any truth to that? Is it only when playing with the scoring setting set to high?

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I was really excited....until they didn't actually time up the expansion draft with when it is actually happening for Seattle. Really bothers me because the functionality is there, it just seems like they didn't do it and its a huge miss for me.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I hate how you leave cap space to sign UFAs but then your team status turns into "rebuilders" because you don't have guys signed and the UFAs end up not signing with you because "you're not in position to win" :facepalm:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Oh **** i didn't know there was 2 options. **** i need to look into it. I get no offers a lot but everytime i do i look at the player i am trying to move and think "yeah i wouldnt want that either" so it makes me like the game more.
I just figured out that find a trade works both ways. You can select a player on the other team and basically ask "What do you want for him?"

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Have outlined a rough draft of who needs to be created for Franchise Mode. Let me know if I'm missing anybody, or have anybody listed that is already in the game. Please!

Created players, NHL20:

Year 1 Draft, 2020:
Goalie - Askarov
Dylan Holloway
Alexander Pashin
Rodion Amirov

Year 2, 2021:
Aatu Raty
Luke Hughes
Kasper Puutio, Swift Current
Martin Chromiak, Kingston
Joshua Roy, Saint Johns
Aito Iguchi
Jesper Wallstedt, G (Sweden)

Year 3, 2022:
Shane Wright - Kingston
Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg Ice
Brandt Clarke

--------

NHL players to be created:

Anaheim - Trevor Zegras
Arizona - Prosvetov, Ivan
Boston - Shen, Pavel
Calgary - Philp, Luke, Zagidulin, Artyom, Martin Pospisil
Colorado - Bowers, Shane, Alex Newhook
Chicago - Alex Vlasic, Chad Krys
Columbus - Vlad Gavrikov,
Dallas - Ryley Tufte
Edmonton - Ilya Konovalov
Florida - Spencer Knight, Grigori Denisenko,
Los Angeles - Alex Turcotte
Minnesota - Matthew Boldy, Karill Kaprisov,
Montreal - Cole Caufield, Jayden Struble, Alex Romonov, Cayden Primeau,
New Jersey - Nikita Gusev
New York Rangers - Adam Fox, Vitali Kratsov, Igor Shestyorkin, K'Andre Miller
New York Islanders - Olivier Wahlstrom, Ilya Sorokin
Philadelphia - Cameron York, Joel Farabee
Ottawa - Josh Norris, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Jonny Tychonick
Toronto - Ilya Mikhelev, Egor Korshkov, Joe Woll,
Vancouver - Vasily Podkolzin, Tyler Madden
Winnipeg - Ville Heinola

Again, let me know. Thanks!

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
Have outlined a rough draft of who needs to be created for Franchise Mode. Let me know if I'm missing anybody, or have anybody listed that is already in the game. Please!

Created players, NHL20:

Year 1 Draft, 2020:
Goalie - Askarov
Dylan Holloway
Alexander Pashin
Rodion Amirov

Year 2, 2021:
Aatu Raty
Luke Hughes
Joshua Roy, Saint Johns
Aito Iguchi

Year 3, 2022:
Shane Wright - Kingston
Brandt Clarke

--------

Anaheim - Trevor Zegras
Boston - Shen, Pavel
Dallas - Ryley Tufte
Winnipeg - Ville Heinola

I recomand you to wait until the roster update (normaly mid-october) so all the euro and chl players will be there and you will only need to add russians, Ncaa, ushl, and few missing prospects.

Reactions: Nugget910

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I recomand you to wait until the roster update (normaly mid-october) so all the euro and chl players will be there and you will only need to add russians, Ncaa, ushl, and few missing prospects.

Like whom, exactly?! I usually don't wait. I'll just do it myself. All I'm missing out on is the picture, but it's not a big deal.

I've already done NHL/AHL/ECHL.... it takes longer as they haven't added in the overall on the top of the screen, yet. So, you always have to scroll up to see what the overall is........ Same with last year, and then they patched it in later.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Again I'm telling you they need to allow customizable rosters so all the rookies and khl players are there DAY 1. Watch Kakko get put into a roster in like November. :laugh:

Guys like Kakko would already be there given the Finnish league has a licensing agreement with EA, but as for NCAA/KHL guys they won't be included they officially make the team. Its like when Fanatics wouldn't sell Matthews jerseys until he "officially" made the team and played a game.

Frankly it’s nice to see them put some effort into the mode that actually sells the game itself, and not spend all their time on micro transaction modes.

Its nice that they finally included trade finder, given the NBA 2k series has had it for like a decade.

Don't understand why it took them forever :facepalm:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
So, who was added into this newest (September 30th) roster update, that wasn't already in the game?!

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
All the guys in bold will be added to the game by the middle of the month hopefully.

Created players, NHL20:

Year 1 Draft, 2020:
Goalie - Askarov
Dylan Holloway
Alexander Pashin
Rodion Amirov

Year 2, 2021:
Aatu Raty
Luke Hughes
Joshua Roy, Saint Johns
Aito Iguchi

Year 3, 2022:
Shane Wright - Kingston
Brandt Clarke

--------

Anaheim - Trevor Zegras
Boston - Shen, Pavel
Dallas - Ryley Tufte
Winnipeg - Ville Heinola

Nugget910

Oct 4, 2017
Just like last year guys that got drafted may not show up until a month or to. Like zadina went missing last year for a few updates.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
So, I just realized Colorado's Defence Prospect Conor Timmins isn't in the game (at least that I've seen). So, I was wondering what other players are missing from '20, that should already be in the game?!

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
So, I just realized Colorado's Defence Prospect Conor Timmins isn't in the game (at least that I've seen). So, I was wondering what other players are missing from '20, that should already be in the game?!
Well, when they do the first regular season update, what usually happens is:
- Any NHLers that weren't previously in the game get added
- Most players who came from the CHL/Europe and started playing in the AHL/ECHL this year get dropped (PHPA licensing issues)

So it's a bit of a catch-22. Once they do the CHL/Europe roster updates (generally in November/December), you get a 99% complete roster (plus updated ratings), but it sucks waiting that long to start your campaign if you already bought the game.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Well, when they do the first regular season update, what usually happens is:
- Any NHLers that weren't previously in the game get added
- Most players who came from the CHL/Europe and started playing in the AHL/ECHL this year get dropped (PHPA licensing issues)

So it's a bit of a catch-22. Once they do the CHL/Europe roster updates (generally in November/December), you get a 99% complete roster (plus updated ratings), but it sucks waiting that long to start your campaign if you already bought the game.

Yeah, was just wondering.

I've already spent the last three weeks updating, EVERYTHING... So, anything now I will have to create.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I also wish that, in the amateur draft, you got first round complete busts (even occasionally 1st OA) and also occasionally got a guy after round 1 that turned into an absolute monster. It happens all the time in real life, and it NEVER happens in this game. Not even a second rounder turns into an above average player.

If they made drafting/prospect development super realistic I'd probably spend $150 on this game.

I've definitely seen both of the above happen here and there. I remember a few times in the past (NHL 15-18) drafting players in the top 5 who only ever improved 1-2 ovr, if at all. And I remember the best drafted player I ever had was taken 12th overall by the Isles. He was 3.5 green stars (it was the last game to use the star grading system) and I got him in a trade in his rookie year or second season simply to fill a hole I had for a DFD in my lineup, as his trade value wasn't very high. Over the next 5 years, he unexpectedly became a 94 ovr stud DFD who won multiple Norris trophies and had more than 20 goals, 80 assists and 100 pts in his career year.

In NHL 19 I definitely also drafted players who would eventually go on to score 80+ pts between the 3rd and 7th rounds.

Its the development that doesn't seem very realistic to me. It seems largely random, outside of playing a player in their specified role. Some guys grow regardless and some guys just stagnate even if you give them the best possible conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad