NHL 20 Franchise Mode Deep Dive

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wow, it’s like they listened to everything people complained about over the last year and fixed it. I’m excited for the ice time distribution, sim scoring tuner, and scheme fits.

This may be the most excited I have been for a new NHL game.

Also, no more turning off offsides and icing to get realistic scoring while simming!

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i am actually insanely excited about this

there are so many little changes that should have already been there but its still nice ti finally get them

id prefer if the random generated player profiles had their pictures instead of blank faces. similar to be a pro where your created guy has his picture up. would help me avoid drafting a bunch of 18 year olds with grey hair or beards and finding players with sick flow

Reactions: Lays and Hypernova

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I reccommend people to watch the deep dive video. It explains the features in more detail. Im in awe that they added player/coach interviews. That's the kind of stuff that takes realism to the next level. Obviously we'll have to actually try it out but franchise mode finally seems to have a good foundation.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Good to see they made some positive changes by the looks of it. Would've liked to see no-trade contracts put in. If you want a player to waive you have to meet with them etc.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Good to see they made some positive changes by the looks of it. Would've liked to see no-trade contracts put in. If you want a player to waive you have to meet with them etc.

I was thinking that as well, why havent trade clauses been added. Generate NTC based on teams that never make the playoffs or location.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
One thing I still want is player's interest in going to teams. So a vet would like to be on a contender to win, but his interest rises in rebuilders the further he is in free agency and so on.
I swear they had that in a previous game before the console jump, but maybe I'm just mistaking it for 2k.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
this hits so many of my last wish list post i made back YEARS ago before I sold my console.

honestly tempted to hop back on so I can play some gm mode again

Will Garry

Aug 16, 2019
Denver, CO
twitter.com
One thing I still want is player's interest in going to teams. So a vet would like to be on a contender to win, but his interest rises in rebuilders the further he is in free agency and so on.

Yes! I think they had it back in NHL06-07 on 360 is when I played it. I would love to see FAs have more of a personality and to see what kind of team they want to go to so it's not just all money based.

I think it would be a great add to reintroduce the GM relationships especially with the new trade finder. Spamming poor trade offers or offers that opposing teams aren't interested should have negative consequences, just like call-ups and demotions affect morale. Could spin off GM relationships in regards to trades with coaching relationships too. They already have coaching and front office staff morale, why not make it fully dynamic?

I also miss the career totals on each player's info tab. I loved seeing their career stats to see where they ranked among the hockey elites. Huge when drafting these franchise players and playing out decades of their careers.

One last thing that would be awesome is to have a overview page at the end of the franchise mode. One of my friends simmed an entire 25 year franchise mode and it just ended and was terribly disappointing. I think having overall records and highlights throughout a GMs career would be cool.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Even as a huge Chel skeptic this sounds fantastic. Scheme fit is huge. There have been so many times throughout the years where a player is traded because they don’t play the coach’s preferred style of game and that hasn’t been accurately reflected in game.

Also love how trade value changes throughout the year. If they’re playing well, they’ll be more valuable and vice versa. Makes a lot of sense. Guys on one year contracts lose valued throughout the season. Also very realistic. Trade finder sounds great too. I liked the scouting additions last year, but it wasn’t really enough to keep me hooked for long. This looks like it will actually have some depth.

Hopefully all of this new stuff doesn’t slow the sim down to a crawl.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes! I think they had it back in NHL06-07 on 360 is when I played it. I would love to see FAs have more of a personality and to see what kind of team they want to go to so it's not just all money based.

I think it would be a great add to reintroduce the GM relationships especially with the new trade finder. Spamming poor trade offers or offers that opposing teams aren't interested should have negative consequences, just like call-ups and demotions affect morale. Could spin off GM relationships in regards to trades with coaching relationships too. They already have coaching and front office staff morale, why not make it fully dynamic?

I also miss the career totals on each player's info tab. I loved seeing their career stats to see where they ranked among the hockey elites. Huge when drafting these franchise players and playing out decades of their careers.

One last thing that would be awesome is to have a overview page at the end of the franchise mode. One of my friends simmed an entire 25 year franchise mode and it just ended and was terribly disappointing. I think having overall records and highlights throughout a GMs career would be cool.

yeah the way they end is disgusting. especially if you are heavy into your run then the 25th year ends and thats it.

i dont get why they have a 25 year cap anyway

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
They've added so many little things I've had a problem with in franchise mode. Can't remember being this excited for an EA title!

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Did I hear this correctly in the video? '' You can take Gretzky from the all-time Oilers and put him on a team with Mcdavid should you want to''.

thats what he said... I wonder if that means we're finally getting all time teams instead of a random selection of players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad