Franchise level players

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Never?

RHd7dv82.jpeg
Frickin' All-Star

Reactions: Stylizer1

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Sens have had 5 franchise players in their history. Players that are cornerstones you build around that make everyone better around them. Alfie, Hossa, Stone, Chara and Karlsson.

Dont see Stone or Hossa as franchise level talents - both are Elite. Could make the case for Chara though, but I'd still rate him Elite and just below franchise

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Jason Spezza was not and will never be a franchise player. The end.
Point a game player for us, something like 700p in 700g. Doesn't get more franchise than that baby. This franchise may never see that again as long as Melnyk rums the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I used to think that if you made the HHOF you were a franchise player, so judging based on that, I figured Alfie, Chara and likely Hossa would be, Spezza and Heatly would miss the cut. Now that Carbonneau is in though, might as well call everyone of them a franchise player.

Reactions: coladin

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The term to me is thrown around to much lately wrt the draft. It is over used.

On our end....Chara and Karlsson. ... that's it for me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dont see Stone or Hossa as franchise level talents - both are Elite. Could make the case for Chara though, but I'd still rate him Elite and just below franchise
Stone was a top 5 forward last year, 6 players have had career bests that played with him. He is a very similar player to Alfie he just got to being elite faster. He is only 26 for some strange reason people think that is old around here.

Hossa is the same, just terrible blunders by this franchise. Hossa is also going to the hall of fame

Chara is going to go down of one of the best defensemen if all time. He is still playing and certainly a franchise player. First ballot hall of famer.

Muckler and Dorion will be best known for giving away these franchise players when their legacy subsides in regards to this franchise.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lol Alfie had one of the best nhl rosters to work with in His prime and still came short many times

Let’s not re write history.

And on stone ? Really you have him above karlsson ?
I do. You cannot win by yourself in hockey. Ovechkin proved that. You need a lot of things to go your way to win a Cup. But the consistency of Alfredsson, Chara and Stone's game was better than Karlsson. IMO

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So because someone does something once and doesn't repeat it (after getting surgery), that means he can't do it?

Hell, he sort of did it again with the Sharks these playoffs!
10 years from now the Ottawa Senators will be in yet another rebuild and somehow the Ottawa Senators and some fans will still be bending over backwards to blame Erik Karlsson for the reason behind it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So because someone does something once and doesn't repeat it (after getting surgery), that means he can't do it?

Hell, he sort of did it again with the Sharks these playoffs!
Not really. He was on for almost every goal. Karlsson was legendary in 2017 playoffs. But he followed it up with an embarrassing effort. He is a player that is not as consistent, and maybe he figures that out in SJ. Wish he were here, but that is over. When he was on his game, there was no equal in Senators history.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not really. He was on for almost every goal. Karlsson was legendary in 2017 playoffs. But he followed it up with an embarrassing effort. He is a player that is not as consistent, and maybe he figures that out in SJ. Wish he were here, but that is over. When he was on his game, there was no equal in Senators history.

Yeah trying and failing to carry a team that is essentially imploding on a surgically reconstructed foot is truly embarassing.

I don't know how Erik lives with the shame of failing to carry the Ottawa Senators two years in a row!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Karlsson was borderline generational definitely franchise, alfie was a franchise player. The sens dont currently have any franchise potential players

Reactions: Stylizer1

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the layoff between game 5 of the Buffalo series and Game 1 of the Finals is what killed them. Tough to go hard for three rounds, then have over 10 days off and get back at it, especially on the road.

I don't think that was a major factor. I think the time off would help heal wounds.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Karlsson was borderline generational definitely franchise, alfie was a franchise player. The sens dont currently have any franchise potential players

Chabot might turn out to be one. Too early to say for sure but I think the possibility being real does matter.

At the end of the day, these labels are almost impossible to apply properly until after they are earned.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Chabot maybe. Certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone thinking he's "only" a star, but personally I think he has top-5 D upside, which should put him squarely in the "franchise" category.

Also, anyone who doesn't have Karlsson as a franchise level guy is trying to make a hot take or completely out to lunch. He's the best player in franchise history and has done more with less than anyone else who has put on a Sens sweater. I love Stone, but Stone over Karlsson (at this point in their careers anyways) is laughable.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah trying and failing to carry a team that is essentially imploding on a surgically reconstructed foot is truly embarassing.

I don't know how Erik lives with the shame of failing to carry the Ottawa Senators two years in a row!
As I stated somewhere else to you, how you perceive it is your thing. You can make fun of it , as you have in both threads, as you wish. I didn't call him a sack of garbage. He was elite.

But Jason Spezza could have a 4 point night, which I loved, and then others would complain about a drop pass that ended up in the net, or even a scoring chance. And focus on that. Karlsson was the same way. He put up points, made great plays. But at some point, whereas I tolerated Spezza, I became less tolerant of Karlsson, because his gaffes were much worse, and looked suspicious.

I will never forget that playoff run. And as I stated, when he was on, he was a Hart candidate. But he lacked something , for me personally, that left him just short of the other aforementioned players.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think that was a major factor. I think the time off would help heal wounds.

Let's just say there are a lot of stories about Sens players partying especially hard between the ECF and the SCF that year.

However, Anaheim was just outright better: they had the shutdown capabilities and the depth to run us into the ground. I can't imagine a scénario where we beat them 4 times in a series.

That was such a painful series to watch...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
However, Anaheim was just outright better: they had the shutdown capabilities and the depth to run us into the ground. I can't imagine a scénario where we beat them 4 times in a series.

We could have played them 20 times and we may not have won 4.

Sucks that the year this team finally makes the finals we run into one of the ~3 best teams of the last 15-20 years.

Reactions: Cloud

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Let's just say there are a lot of stories about Sens players partying especially hard between the ECF and the SCF that year.

That was such a painful series to watch...
I had tickets to game 6 that I never got to use. I will never forget it :(

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As I stated somewhere else to you, how you perceive it is your thing. You can make fun of it , as you have in both threads, as you wish. I didn't call him a sack of garbage. He was elite.

But Jason Spezza could have a 4 point night, which I loved, and then others would complain about a drop pass that ended up in the net, or even a scoring chance. And focus on that. Karlsson was the same way. He put up points, made great plays. But at some point, whereas I tolerated Spezza, I became less tolerant of Karlsson, because his gaffes were much worse, and looked suspicious.

I will never forget that playoff run. And as I stated, when he was on, he was a Hart candidate. But he lacked something , for me personally, that left him just short of the other aforementioned players.

Lots of time left in Karlsson's career to change opinions. Alfredsson was never seen as a Franchise player until his 30's. Chara solidified his case in his early 30's too. That's trouble with labeling guys franchise players or not while they still have half their career left to play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We could have played them 20 times and we may not have won 4.

Sucks that the year this team finally makes the finals we run into one of the ~3 best teams of the last 15-20 years.

They were just a really bad matchup for us. I though Detroit deserved the serious in the WCF, they matched up better than we did against Anaheim and that series could have easily been a Det win in 6. We would have matched up much better against Detroit. Anaheim was a great team, but I still feel their reputation was a bit inflated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad