Franchise level players

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
We had a superstar goalie for at least one year too that everyone seems to be forgetting

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Repressed memories.

The cup was ours if we had Hasek in net over Emery.

If Corvo and Preissing went into the corners to battle for pucks that would of been a big help.

Emery was great all playoffs, he was there for the team

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If Corvo and Preissing went into the corners to battle for pucks that would of been a big help.

I think the layoff between game 5 of the Buffalo series and Game 1 of the Finals is what killed them. Tough to go hard for three rounds, then have over 10 days off and get back at it, especially on the road.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
A franchise player can’t take nights off and, frankly, Karlsson took quite a few off.

Alfie didn’t. Chara didn’t. Stone didn’t . I consider these three franchise players.

I think Karlsson was elite. Like Spezza. But just a notch below franchise player.
Lol Alfie had one of the best nhl rosters to work with in His prime and still came short many times

Let’s not re write history.

And on stone ? Really you have him above karlsson ?

Reactions: coladin and h2owned

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Emery was "fine", whereas Hasek could have potentially won them games. We went from a superstar 925-930 save % throw defense out the window type goalie to a pedestrian 910-915 make you nervous no cheating allowed type goalie. The team pretty much had to change their style after Hasek went down to accommodate for not having a superstar in net anymore.

You're talking to the wrong guy though, I was not an Emery fan and consider Hasek one of the all time greats. Emery was just another average backup caliber tender imo.

Reactions: Stylizer1

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Wait, we're talking 06 right?

The year Emery had a .900 SVP (12th out of starting goalies) and 2.88 GAA (11th out of starting goalies).

Also got absolutely lit up by the Sabres in the first game of that series, which set the tone for the let down. He improved as the series went on, but still had an .894 SVP in that series.

There was nothing "great" about Emery having to step in for Hasek. He improved the next year, but the numbers still show him to be more of a passenger during that run (as much as a starting goalies can be considered a passenger anyways).

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
A franchise player can’t take nights off and, frankly, Karlsson took quite a few off.

Alfie didn’t. Chara didn’t. Stone didn’t . I consider these three franchise players.

I think Karlsson was elite. Like Spezza. But just a notch below franchise player.

Karlsson leaves every other Senator in the dust.

Saying that as a huge fan of Alfredsson and Stone.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You mean the playoffs that lead management and most of our fans to believe we were a championship caliber team because we were one goal away from the Stanley Cup finals?

What does what management and ownership did after the run have to do with Karlsson putting the team on his back and taking it to 2OT of the ECF?

You have a strange way of reasoning.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Karlsson was a franchise defenseman but I am not sure he alone could have carried a team.

As for Spezza I think being drafted by an elite team stunted his growth. His prime years where wasted by Murnyk and hurt his legacy as on of the best centers of his generation.

How exactly did Murray waste Spezza's prime years?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it was that Pronger hit to Dean McAmmond that they couldn't or didn't recover from. They should have had McGratton in the lineup, he would have taken care of that with Pronger immediately although Pronger was a pretty good fighter too & bigger. That illegal hit to the head IMO changed the momentum & dynamics of that series & while Pronger should have missed the rest of the playoffs because of it only got one game.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Emery was "fine", whereas Hasek could have potentially won them games. We went from a superstar 925-930 save % throw defense out the window type goalie to a pedestrian 910-915 make you nervous no cheating allowed type goalie. The team pretty much had to change their style after Hasek went down to accommodate for not having a superstar in net anymore.

You're talking to the wrong guy though, I was not an Emery fan and consider Hasek one of the all time greats. Emery was just another average backup caliber tender imo.

Bryan Murray calling players ‘fine’ has redefined the language in this city.

Up until game 5 Emery let in less goals then Giguerre had, how anyone blames Emery for that series loss is beyond me.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
A franchise player is someone you can build a franchise around, I think it’s someone who you can imagine will have their number raised.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bryan Murray calling players ‘fine’ has redefined the language in this city.

Up until game 5 Emery let in less goals then Giguerre had, how anyone blames Emery for that series loss is beyond me.
Nothing is going to convince me that Ray Emery was ever anything but an average goalie, and I think his numbers bare that out, but I wasn't "blaming" him. Ray Emery was not the sole reason they lost, nor do I think any one thing could be picked out as the deciding factor. Other issues included a soft defense and only one offensive forward line.

My comment was that the rather large step down from one of, if not the greatest goaltenders of all time, to a guy that was basically an average tender, was a huge blow and Hasek flat out would/could have been the difference. Kind of like how Cujo and Joseph stole games for the Leafs back in the day and it was the difference over an average Lalime. It isn't just the solo performance increase we saw either, the whole team had a philosophy shift from run and gun have your goalie save your ass, to knowing they couldnt' cheat.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I loved Emery's attitude. The Senators have never been feisty and, like with Lehner, it was good to see a little bite on the roster.

Skill-wise, he was average at best but so was Neimi.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I loved Emery's attitude. The Senators have never been feisty and, like with Lehner, it was good to see a little bite on the roster.

Skill-wise, he was average at best but so was Neimi.
I did like the swagger Emery brought.

A guy with that attitude, but Hasek's numbers would have been something else.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You mean the playoffs that lead management and most of our fans to believe we were a championship caliber team because we were one goal away from the Stanley Cup finals?

Yeah, I watched em.

Remember that pass Rundblad made?

What are you even saying.

I mean yes Karlsson did have a lot of people fooled that this was a good team when he carried them?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
By never giving solid linemates.

Never?

RHd7dv82.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad