Frédérik Gauthier

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
When the Goat is ready (start of 2016/17), it's gonna be awesome!

Seriously though, if people are suggesting specifically that he develop a huge offensive part to his game w/ this coming season down in Rimouski, DON'T….

Sure, it's something he needs to work on but let's face it & Dave Morrison himself has said, he's been drafted as a "piece", that being a 3rd line guy so any offence he ends up bringing will be bonus.

A lot of people poo-pooed the pick when it was made but I liked then & I like it now!

This Kontiola guy if he works out will be good for this season, after which Carrick might be ready so the "pieces" will fall into place so long as we get THAT #1 centre in next years draft!

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Let’s remember that it was only a few years ago that Gauthier decided to devote himself to hockey rather than football. Despite his very ‘average Joe’ appearance, we’re dealing with a fairly athletic kid here.

Gauthier, if he pans out as a shutdown two-way 3rd line C, will be a very rare player. I like rare skillsets.

Bigger kids also take longer to grow into their bodies.

Gauthier also strikes me as a player who thrives with structure similar to Bozak. The OHL and even AHL has far less structure in the game then the NHL and players who think the game really well like a Bozak but don't have the greatest other natural athletic ability can perform better at the NHL level because of it.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Gauthier is in a tough spot. He plays the kind of game really fit for a grizzled veteran with years of experience to excel at, and he's landing in a market looking for instant gratification. In reality, a player of Gauthier's description probably doesn't pay off until he's got a decade under his belt and is battle hardened. The chances of him stepping in at 20 and doing a job people will be happy with might be a little slim.

I like this point. I don't mind that we drafted him to be a 3C. However, to step in the NHL at 22,23,24 and expect to shut down top lines immediately is a stretch. We probably won't reap the benefits until he goes through his growing pains and reaches his prime, which technically every team has to go through with their prospects. So thus,
patience. Our 3rd and 4th line centers of Gauthier and possibly Carrick isn't terrible. We just have to wait for them to arrive.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Seriously though, if people are suggesting specifically that he develop a huge offensive part to his game w/ this coming season down in Rimouski, DON'T….

Sure, it's something he needs to work on but let's face it & Dave Morrison himself has said, he's been drafted as a "piece", that being a 3rd line guy so any offence he ends up bringing will be bonus.

A lot of people poo-pooed the pick when it was made but I liked then & I like it now!

This Kontiola guy if he works out will be good for this season, after which Carrick might be ready so the "pieces" will fall into place so long as we get THAT #1 centre in next years draft!

It's not like he absolutely needs to improve his offence to the point where he can play in a top6 role, but there's nothing wrong with wanting a shutdown center who can also contribute on the scoresheet. If he develops into a guy who can score 15-20g, I will like him even more than if he is elite defensively and bad offensively.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Yeah, I may be wrong, but I recall Morrison or someone else saying they see him as being a Hanzal for us. Maybe not as high of a peak, but I'd love that.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Id prefer for him to spend a year gaining some confidence in his offensive game, and then probably a full year in the AHL developing those skills at the pro level, maybe two years.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Calm down people. The best comparison I can find for him is Brian Boyle who was also a first rounder in a (very) deep draft. He was drafted in '03 and hasn't played a single NHL game until '07-'08 where he played a whooping 8 games. Gotta be patient.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Calm down people. The best comparison I can find for him is Brian Boyle who was also a first rounder in a (very) deep draft. He was drafted in '03 and hasn't played a single NHL game until '07-'08 where he played a whooping 8 games. Gotta be patient.

cze-slo-hanzal-big-wp_main.jpg

:D

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Yea, I think Gauthier is probably 2-3 years away.

Kadri was a 7th OA pick and took 3-4 years to become an NHL regular. No reason to expect Gauthier to be faster.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
So putting up inflated numbers playing against average sized competition in the q is better than the reality check that the nhl would be?

I dont think age experience or contract should ever be a deciding factor for a team.
If he is one of the top 4 centers at camp he should get a spot.

I want the best players we have available at every possible position at all times

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Gauthier was not picked just because of his size. He was, and is now considered an elite defensive forward, with skill upside. People who hate the pick are as ignorant as people who say we should stay away from small forwards.

The Gauthier pick was solid. Sure, we wanted Mantha it seems, but Gauthier was a guy I wanted for most of the year as I think he can be a Jarrett Stoll in his prime type player. Very valuable. Just like a guy who is 5'9" or 5'10" who can score 60+ points.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
The Gauthier pick was solid. Sure, we wanted Mantha it seems, but Gauthier was a guy I wanted for most of the year as I think he can be a Jarrett Stoll in his prime type player. Very valuable. Just like a guy who is 5'9" or 5'10" who can score 60+ points.

Any good team will have a mix of players. You shouldn't have an all skill, small team. And you also shouldn't focus on huge, low skill guys. Clearly the perfect package is skill with size, but that's not always available. In order I'd rank attributes in importance skill, IQ, size. And all things being equal in skill and IQ, I'd take the kid with size. Even if the skill is a bit less, or the IQ is a bit less, the skill will push me over the edge.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Gauthier was not picked just because of his size. He was, and is now considered an elite defensive forward, with skill upside. People who hate the pick are as ignorant as people who say we should stay away from small forwards.

I wouldn't go any more wrong than Gauthier pick. I have seen that guy play in WJC and was able to catch up a few games in playoffs and at the end of the season last year.

Boy he has surprised me a lot, the whole year I was bashing and trashing that guy for everything he had done so far. I think he has as high as 2nd line center potential(his current potential is listed as elite 3rd line center). He just started to score a whole bunch of goals and assists at the end of the season like he was reborn or something.

I am looking forward to a PPG+ season outta him this year with top line PK and 2nd line PP. He is a juggernaut to be honest, if he finds out how to score some goals with his style of play, then he can be a very good 2nd line center. No doubt he has everything but a shot to achieve that. This season will tell us a whole lot more about him.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I wouldn't go any more wrong than Gauthier pick. I have seen that guy play in WJC and was able to catch up a few games in playoffs and at the end of the season last year.

Boy he has surprised me a lot, the whole year I was bashing and trashing that guy for everything he had done so far. I think he has as high as 2nd line center potential(his current potential is listed as elite 3rd line center). He just started to score a whole bunch of goals and assists at the end of the season like he was reborn or something.

I am looking forward to a PPG+ season outta him this year with top line PK and 2nd line PP. He is a juggernaut to be honest, if he finds out how to score some goals with his style of play, then he can be a very good 2nd line center. No doubt he has everything but a shot to achieve that. This season will tell us a whole lot more about him.

Thanks for the nice report on Gauthier. It's good to hear you say he's a 'juggernaut' - not sure what you mean. Do you mean he's not JUST big, but, that he's big AND he plays big. Does he have some sand to go along with his size - boy, that'd sure be nice.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Thanks for the nice report on Gauthier. It's good to hear you say he's a 'juggernaut' - not sure what you mean. Do you mean he's not JUST big, but, that he's big AND he plays big. Does he have some sand to go along with his size - boy, that'd sure be nice.

Oh I meant he is exceptional defensively(Juggernaut). He already is 6'5 and 215 lbs. He started chipping in goals lately in the season and was a consistent performer offensively and defensively. I think he might see more ice time this year then he did last year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh I meant he is exceptional defensively(Juggernaut). He already is 6'5 and 215 lbs. He started chipping in goals lately in the season and was a consistent performer offensively and defensively. I think he might see more ice time this year then he did last year.

Was ecstatic we picked him up, Gauthier indeed has 2nd line in him. The thing I noticed with him at around draft time was he is awkward with his size because he must have grown to quickly and his muscles are learning how to deal with his frame. This should translate into a better shot, posture etc.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160357

Is it not reasonable to expect a > PPG pace this year?

Not suggesting we expect a 90 point pace, but something over PPG, which he has yet to achieve.

I liked the pick, he was in the top 3 for best defensive forwards in the Q during his draft year. He scored at a .0977 draft year, and followed it up with a .963.

This year he was around 50th. in PPG in the Q.

Yes, everyone knows he wasn't drafted on offense, but this year he'll be amongst the senior players in the league, and he is a 1st. round pick.

I'm not disappointed but I expect players to peak after age 18, and even 2nd. round pick Jay McClement was over PPG as a 19 year old.

At least he isn't a Shaun Landolt.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I'd rather he develops his offence at the junior level than pigeonhole him as a 4th line center at the NHL level. This was a 1st round pick after all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was always a bit of a long term project. He's a late bloomer and has raw basic skills that will need time to develop even when he's eligible for the AHL. If the Leafs can develop him properly, he should be a good one in a few years.

He did have an underwhelming year in terms of offensive numbers but every time I've seen him play, both live and recording, the physical aspect of his game and skating have improved a lot since his draft year, which was a good positive.

Overall, this will be a big year for him. He has to be a bigger force around the net and keep working on his offensive skill, especially his shot. One of the Leafs execs, I think it was Hughes, said exactly what he should be doing, taking more chances offensively and really gaining that confidence. He seems to play a bit too safe when he has the puck and all though safe is great a lot of times, and god knows we need some of that on the Leafs, taking the chance in order to create a scoring opportunity is something that he'll need to get better at if he's going to put up points.

He's a smart guy... very smart, even if he doesn't look or sound like it because of his accent. That should help him a lot as he gets to the pro level.

DoubleDouble*

needs 2 -4 years in the ahl no need to rush . but it is toronto so you never know

If Gauthier is playing in the AHL in 4 years, there is something wrong with his development.

Gauthier is going to be a call up as early as next season (15/16).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160357

Is it not reasonable to expect a > PPG pace this year?

Not suggesting we expect a 90 point pace, but something over PPG, which he has yet to achieve.

I liked the pick, he was in the top 3 for best defensive forwards in the Q during his draft year. He scored at a .0977 draft year, and followed it up with a .963.

This year he was around 50th. in PPG in the Q.

Yes, everyone knows he wasn't drafted on offense, but this year he'll be amongst the senior players in the league, and he is a 1st. round pick.

I'm not disappointed but I expect players to peak after age 18, and even 2nd. round pick Jay McClement was over PPG as a 19 year old.

At least he isn't a Shaun Landolt.

Jeff Ware comes to mind for me. I expect Gauthier to be a 1.5 PPG player in the Q this year, nevermind a PPG player. This should be the minimal expectation for him. We are not expecting Connor Brown numbers, but progression in a first rd pick at #21 should be more than a bottom six player. The hope is he can be better than Mcclement and closer to Hanzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad