Frédérik Gauthier

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Find it funny how people here bash Gauthier, but are the same people saying we should trade valuable assets to acquire a solid 3C like couturier. How the heck does that make sense loll, Freddy G will be one of the best 3Cs in the league.

That being said, he needs to return to junior and a year in the A before he's NHL ready imo.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Sign bolland for 5*5!!!!!!!

1 year later

Why don't our prospects play? We sign crappy players to crappy deals fire mgmt!!!!

Mcdavid-nylander-gauthier. Now that's a center core deep and stanley cup caliber....

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Ah its just a bit too early for him, one more year and I think he'll be ready for sure.

I think Nylander is the dark horse here, guy has NHL speed/shot/iq just not quite the weight.

XiTnA

Mar 28, 2014
i doubt he plays this year, nonis is trying to sign legwand so im guessing hes trying to bring in a 3/4 center and holland will be the other bottom 6 c

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
i doubt he plays this year, nonis is trying to sign legwand so im guessing hes trying to bring in a 3/4 center and holland will be the other bottom 6 c

Slow and steady wins the race. Let him develop properly no one expects him to be a goal scoring center but he can tleast try to learn as much as he can at junior and be that guy

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think he's AT LEAST 1 more year in Q, and 1-2 in the AHL away, if not more like 2-3 in the AHL. To compare him to a recent Leaf, his current offensive game is well below Jay McClement's, and his defensive game is nowhere close either. To be fair, McClement is a stud defensively, but IMO he's WAY below McClement right now as a hockey player, and McClement is a 4C, so I don't see how Gauthier is a 3C. In a few years, maybe, but right now, no.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
His numbers are not at all great, but if he does play a solid defensive game, he will probably make a career playing on the third line which is something the Leafs still need.

Players typically take 4-5 years to develop, so he is still 2-3 years away from making a solid impact in the NHL.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I'm actually very excited to see what this guy does next year. I didn't really like the pick at the time, and I didn't really like it this year! But, if Gauthier goes back and has a big season, (and the opportunity to do this is certainly waiting them for him) we have a seriously impressive prospect. I'd hope he could put up at least 80 points. I feel that number shows he was a dominant force. Now we got a guy who's 20 years old, has great and proven defensive acumen, and now he has this new found offensive touch and confidence and the cherry on top being his size. I could see him easily making the team as a third line center then.

Big if though.

Tyler Biggs*

1st round pick Freddie Gauthier (6'5" 225) was chosen and is being groomed to play 3rd line centre minutes; he should be doing that in a couple of seasons after some time with the Marlies.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Hope he continues from where he ended his last season.! Another year in QMJHL would do wonders for him.

In his draft year Getzlaf was also considered to be a good 3c. Hope he can be something more valuable than people including myself projected him to be.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bergeron did his draft year didn't he?

Freddy is a year older and bigger than Bergeron was.

Bergeron was just a touch over a PPG, and Bergeron isn't a 3rd. line center, so we can accept a little less than a PPG in the Q.

If he earns a spot let him have it.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Here are the lines I have penciled if we went in with the forward group we have TODAY.

Kessel-Bozak-JVR
Nylander-Kadri-Lupul
Clarkson-Gauthier-Frattin
Komarov-Holland-Orr/Mclaren/Broll/Devane

I think Gauthier will play this season, and so will William

its pretty ambitious to think that the leafs will be able to insert that many rookies into the lineup and be somewhat competitive. if the idea is not to be competitive then we would still be better served by having the kids play in an environment where they can learn and improve without the added pressure of being in the toronto fishbowl.

to think a 19 year old nylander will just step up and play 2nd line minutes is a pipedream imo. its not that he doesnt have the skill but he doesnt have the defensive awareness nor the strength yet.

to think that gauthier would be able to play 3rd line minutes is also pretty ambitious. the best part of his game is his defense. IF we needed a center, he has the size but would be much better served in a protected roll on the 4th line but i think its moot as the leafs would be fools to try and rush this kid. if we take our time he might be able to develop his offensive game. if we put him in a strictly defensive position now i fear he could end up as a steckle type.

i also have a hard time seeing clarkon on the 3rd line even though that is where he belongs. at $5.25 million i would think the leafs would give him every opportunity to try and play on the 2nd line.

i suspect based on what we have the lineup will be something like the following and taking into accound what nonis said about holland.

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-clarkson
komorov-xxxxx-ashton
frattin-holland-broll

the caveat is that the 4th line is going to play and be like a young 3rd line more then 4th line pluggers. the reason why i think broll will get the spot is because he is a mike brown type. he is really tough, young, cheap, and can skate. im not expecting tons of offense out of him but he should be able to do what orr/mclaren have done without being as much of a liability on the ice.

as for nylander and gauthier i think nylander starts on the marlies and gauthier goes back to jr. if all goes well hopefully holland can move up to 3rd line center in the future and gauthier to 4th line and progress from there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Here are the lines I have penciled if we went in with the forward group we have TODAY.

Kessel-Bozak-JVR
Nylander-Kadri-Lupul
Clarkson-Gauthier-Frattin
Komarov-Holland-Orr/Mclaren/Broll/Devane

I think Gauthier will play this season, and so will William

its pretty ambitious to think that the leafs will be able to insert that many rookies into the lineup and be somewhat competitive. if the idea is not to be competitive then we would still be better served by having the kids play in an environment where they can learn and improve without the added pressure of being in the toronto fishbowl.

You mean 2?

You'd hope they could reasonably get 2 in, they're still rebuilding and a bottom feeder.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Gauthier will never be an NHLer.. never.

Different roles for NHL players in the NHL as far as prospects go.

Big players have to prove they can't play, while smaller players have to prove they can.

Players with size are usually give far more opportunities to prove they can become NHLers, little guys have endless doubters.

Gauthier has more than enough size to get his opportunity.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Gauthier really needs to go back to junior to work on his game.

He was a PPG player but that's underwhelming #'s for a 1st rounder but fortunately he's really good at other areas of the game (which is why he made the Canadian World Team).

After spending another season in the Q, count on him needing at least a season but likely two or even 3 in the AHL.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Let’s remember that it was only a few years ago that Gauthier decided to devote himself to hockey rather than football. Despite his very ‘average Joe’ appearance, we’re dealing with a fairly athletic kid here.

Gauthier, if he pans out as a shutdown two-way 3rd line C, will be a very rare player. I like rare skillsets.

CalgaryLeaf*

He's still a project and will take 2-3 years to crack the Leafs lineup..This is a big year for him coming up in junior...He has time to work on his offensive game,work on his skating and hopefully learn how to use that big body...Big bodied players often take longer to develop and I hope he can up his game this year...He could have a larger role on the world junior team as well...He will have a chance to make the team out of camp in 2015 but I could see him spending part or most of that season in the AHL.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I'm pretty excited for this kid honestly. I was happy when we picked him all things considered. Part of me hopes he'll become our Bergeron, although that's a little bit of a stretch, I imagine.

If he comes into camp and blows them away enough to earn a spot, I'd say give it to him. Much rather see him head back to Junior and take the longer road for more seasoning though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: