Post-Game Talk: Fought to get one point back!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Our special teams are coming along nicely.

PP: 18.6% (12th)
PK: 84.3% (7th)

GenericFan2*

Satisfied with a point, but wow. Reimer had a brutal game despite fighting back in the 3rd.

Glad I got to watch an hour segment on the "215 pound humming bird" aka Sidney Crosby. CBC always puts on a good show.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Disappointing to not get the two points, but that was a very entertaining game. Phaneuf and Kessel were outstanding. MacArthur, McClement (Brampton Battalion therefore awesome), Franson, Grabovski and Gunnarson also stood out for me.

Reimer was really fighting the puck early on, but to his credit he was able to work through it. I also thought Kadri played a notch or two below his recent form, which was surprising in what was a pretty wide open game.

Now let's go crush Winnipeg.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I missed today's action due to a Pejorative Slured day at work. Cliff notes?

You missed some intense hockey!

Bad first period for the Leafs. Turned it on the second period and by the third period, they had their foot all the way down on the gas and brought it on hard. Their tying goal in the third period was well deserved. If the Leafs could take their third period from tonight and do that for every period of every game, their record right now would probably be off the charts.

Leafs gave up the first goal in the first 30 seconds of the game. Gave up goals a minute apart to go down 3-1 after the first period. Went 2 for 3 on the power play, went 100% on the penalty kill which included a partial 5 on 3 kill. Lines were pretty mixed up for the night. McClement started on the fourth line and ended up on the second line while Komarov centred the fourth line. The change happened because Leafs were looking for offensive spark and McClement was riding a 3 game goal streak. By the third period, Franson ended up on the first line with Phaneuf and they were a breath of fresh air together. JVR laid a great hit on Malkin along the boards though it seems it roughed up Malkin's shoulder and he didn't play for the remaining of the third period nor was he scheduled for the shootout. Franson inadvertently took out Crosby. He went down to block a shooting lane and Crosby tried to jump over him while Franson was getting up off the ice and Crosby literally flew into the boards and popped his helmet off. Looked worse than it was though as Crosby was able to come back into the game for his next shift.

A lot of stand out performances tonight which include Phaneuf (probably his best game of the season to me), Franson, Kessel, Grabovski and MacArthur.

Holzer stood out as well but for all the wrong reasons.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
we showed character in battling back, and we pulled out a point.

A year ago we don't get this point. We get blown out 6-1

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I feel bad for the team that has to face these dirty ****ers in the playoffs. Absolutely bush league stuff from the refs and the league.

Thanks for this Bett****.

I'm not one to usually complain about the refs, but holy crap!! the ref handing Crosby his helmet is total B.S! IMO it may sound a bit harsh but that could earn a suspension for him. A linesman or ref should never help out a player by giving him his helmet or stick back during play, that was total bush league **** right there. Other than that I'm proud of the guys we battled back and got a point. Reimer has to be a lot better on Tuesday that's for sure, I have no idea what happened to him tonight but he was way off his game.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
They battled back and played hard, the last period was entertaining in particular and OT was great. Unfortunately they couldn't pull through.

Reimer was pretty bad tonight though, couldn't make those big saves and let in both goals in the shootout. Holzer sure as hell didn't do him any favours though. We need a puck mover BAD.

Leafs have also been slipping a bit lately, 5-4-1 in their last 10. Need to take it up a notch again and rack up those wins.

Very happy with our special teams though, that was one thing that salvaged this game for me.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Nice comeback by the boys - true heart win.

Gotta try and take both from Winnipeg and beat Pittsburgh obviously, that'd be HUGE.

Oh, and we're still missing Liles/Gardiner. It's quite evident.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Agreed, scoreboard across the league was nice to us tonight.

Even though they've played two more games, Leafs have 6 points on the 9th place Jets and 10th place Isles. Their game against the Jets seems like a must win to create some more separation between them and the spots outside of the top 8.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Agreed, scoreboard across the league was nice to us tonight.

Even though they've played two more games, Leafs have 6 points on the 9th place Jets and 10th place Isles. Their game against the Jets seems like a must win to create some more separation between them and the spots outside of the top 8.

The games in hand don't really matter unless the other team obviously wins them, it puts more pressure on them then it does us that's for sure. For example we're 6 pts up on WPG but they have 2 games in hand..even if they win both those games they are still 2 pts behind us.. We control our own destiny.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Nice comeback by the boys - true heart win.

Gotta try and take both from Winnipeg and beat Pittsburgh obviously, that'd be HUGE.

Oh, and we're still missing Liles/Gardiner. It's quite evident.

Holzer really needs to sit. I like the guy but man has he struggled lately, it wouldn't be a bad thing to let him regain his focus a bit an let him watch from upstairs for a few games to regain things because sometimes he seems he's lost out there.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They battled back and played hard, the last period was entertaining in particular and OT was great. Unfortunately they couldn't pull through.

Reimer was pretty bad tonight though, couldn't make those big saves and let in both goals in the shootout. Holzer sure as hell didn't do him any favours though. We need a puck mover BAD.

Leafs have also been slipping a bit lately, 5-4-1 in their last 10. Need to take it up a notch again and rack up those wins.

Very happy with our special teams though, that was one thing that salvaged this game for me.

Going into the Bruins game we were 7-3.

We just gotta keep playing hard.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm not one to usually complain about the refs, but holy crap!! the ref handing Crosby his helmet is total B.S! IMO it may sound a bit harsh but that could earn a suspension for him. A linesman or ref should never help out a player by giving him his helmet or stick back during play, that was total bush league **** right there. Other than that I'm proud of the guys we battled back and got a point. Reimer has to be a lot better on Tuesday that's for sure, I have no idea what happened to him tonight but he was way off his game.

wait, really?
(i'm being serious, here).

a ref SHOULDN'T give a player their equipment (such as a helmet?)

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I found it to be a pretty fun game to watch after the first.
I like that Reimer was able to bounce back and finish strong.
Unfortunate the refs put the whistles away on the two non-calls in OT.

I will always hate shootouts. I'd rather a tie to be honest, but then I grew up when a tie game was not some terrible travesty.
Anyway I'm happy with the point and a fun entertaining game to watch.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The games in hand don't really matter unless the other team obviously wins them, it puts more pressure on them then it does us that's for sure. For example we're 6 pts up on WPG but they have 2 games in hand..even if they win both those games they are still 2 pts behind us.. We control our own destiny.

I definitely agree. I subscribe to the notion that games in hand mean little as they don't guarantee the points. I was only pointing it out because it seems like people always mention games in hand so I just mentioned it to cover my bases, haha. You're definitely right though, the Leafs do control their own destiny. They've played well enough that they aren't relying on other teams crapping the bed to help them along.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Oh and JvR is great. He's our Penguin killer :) Seems to play very well against them, was a total beast tonight, and scored 2 goals in the last game against them as well.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
i'm starting to believe reimer is a streaky goalie, before the injury he was playing great. since returning from the injury he has been very bad.

hopefully he will figure out what he is doing wrong and can use it to prevent these hot cold streaks in the future because if he can't i can't seeing us using him as our future #1. we all know scrivens isn't a #1.

kessel was great btw, if he can just keep playing this style, fearless using his head and speed, i will be fine with him resigning.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some single point games feel better than others. This one feels pretty damn good.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
wait, really?
(i'm being serious, here).

a ref SHOULDN'T give a player their equipment (such as a helmet?)

No he shouldn't! any ref that helps a player regain an advantage by assisting him during play is against the rules whether that be by equipment or something else. What if the puck was in our zone and Crosby was side tracked getting his helmet and got help from the linesman or ref and then had enough time to score? Do you think that is right? Definitely not, I don't want to bring the hypothetical question of injuries because he was never hurt, I'm talking about a ref who got away from his duties to assist a player regain his spot in the game by helping him get his equipment back. It's the same thing if he helped him get his stick back.

An official should stick to his duties and thats all, not worrying about if someone has their helmet or not. This is the NHL not minor midget.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Thought Kessel looked pretty good tonight, especially compared to Boston. Honestly, after being down 3-1 after first, I'm happy with the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad