Post-Game Talk: Fought to get one point back!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The more i think about it the more i'm sure that randy cost us points against the two best teams in the east (sorry, habs) with his decision to play holzer on the top pair. we could easily have won both these games, but holzer was mostly responsible for four goals against

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well let's just hope the team comes out on fire this week. A lot of season left and we can't afford to let Winnipeg make up ground on us.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do other teams PK the same way as the Leafs? I noticed this game that on numerous occasions when down a single man, when Pitts had the puck at the blue line and passed the puck across the ice to the other defenseman, instead of shifting the PK square over, they kept a triangle and the PKer who was originally closest to the puck would follow it over to the other side.

Haven't seen a PK like that before. Not complaining, worked quite well tonight.

yeah I noticed that too. seemed to be pretty effective.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I read the same way as you did, but then I reread it and I think when he says 2 losses he means 1st: Against B's on Thursday, 2nd: tonight against Pens.

Well. okay, even read like that, but we still beat Pittsburgh. We've beaten Montreal twice (whose the top team in the league right now). So we clearly can beat (some of the) best teams in the league. :)

I really hope Boston overtakes Montreal because if we can solidify fifth that's a Habs/Leafs playoff match!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
as for the shootout, I woulda put JVR our there instead of Bozak.

JVR has the shot, and the hands....seems like a no-brainer to me.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
12/13: 23gms, 7gls, 15pts (82gms, 25gls, 54pts)
11/12: 73gms, 20gls, 43pts (82gms, 23gls, 48pts)
10/11: 82gms, 21gls, 62pts (82gms, 21gls, 62pts)

Well pretty good drop from 60 point player to 40 last year. Besides the points, last year he was terrible.

thecatch22

May 17, 2012
Toronto
Good comeback against a good, albeit poor defensive team.

Phaneuf needs help out there for sure. Team is dying for a number 1 center and number 2 D.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So do we all do a collective face palm if Carlyle doesn't try out the Phaneuf/Franson pairing against the Jets or is the solid pairing of Franson/Fraser a good enough reason to find another answer to the Phaneuf situation? Kostka and Holzer aren't the answer.

thecatch22

May 17, 2012
Toronto
Also, Reimer struggled but really made some good saves in the third and overtime. Didn't have it tonight but fought the whole game and made some nice saves.

Definitely not his best game but you want a goalie that doesn't quit out there and he didn't.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Our current top line has scored 27 goals total (although not all came when playing together). Over 82 games, that would be a total of 85 goals which could be divied up with Kessel 35, JVR 30 and Bozak 20. Although the goals are not coming from the players we are used to (mainly Kessel scoring less and JVR scoring more) that 85 goals over a full season would be one of the top lines in the NHL.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Interesting notes - Reimer has never lost to Pittsburgh in regulation and MacArthur is like 1 or 2 points shy of being a career PPG player against the Pens.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The more i think about it the more i'm sure that randy cost us points against the two best teams in the east (sorry, habs) with his decision to play holzer on the top pair. we could easily have won both these games, but holzer was mostly responsible for four goals against

Exactly this. Holzer might be a solid 3rd pairing guy (too early to say imo) but his time on the top pairing has been an absolute trainwreck. He's like a less-talented, slower Luke Schenn.

Interesting notes - Reimer has never lost to Pittsburgh in regulation and MacArthur is like 1 or 2 points shy of being a career PPG player against the Pens.

Love games against the Pens. We usually split the season series, and somehow we almost always come out to play. Tonight's game was awesome; loved the playoff atmosphere of the ACC in the 3rd and OT :handclap:

And the Pens stars are a ton of fun to watch. Crosby is sick.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
One bad game and he's not an NHL goalie?

Dear lord this fan base......

Also, while he was far from great, I'd argue he was the better goalie tonight, Fleury looked awful.

This.

And how many of our "not-so-dialled in" members of Leafs Nation would immediately take Fleury over Reimer simply because Fleury has a cup to his name? Far too many I think.

As crap as Reimer was, he was the only reason we got a point. He was solid at the beginning of the third and made several stops especially late on to get us into overtime and then a shootout.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Exactly this. Holzer might be a solid 3rd pairing guy (too early to say imo) but his time on the top pairing has been an absolute trainwreck. He's like a less-talented, slower Luke Schenn.

Love games against the Pens. We usually split the season series, and somehow we almost always come out to play. Tonight's game was awesome; loved the playoff atmosphere of the ACC in the 3rd and OT :handclap:

And the Pens stars are a ton of fun to watch. Crosby is sick.

I enjoy Pens games too. Their stars are definitely remarkable to watch. Crosby was the best player on the ice tonight and it felt pretty damn good to see our players contain him as much as they did (though it certainly didn't stop him from being dangerous every time he was out there).

The atmosphere was insane and while the chants came back to bite the ACC in the ass, it was nice to see the place so into the game. I've read on here from a number of Pens fans that the Leafs are one of the teams they wouldn't like to face in a playoff series because of how well we match up against them. It's actually really nice to see that this team can finally make another fanbase feel uncomfortable at the thought of their team facing us.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Gunnar and Holzer need to ride the bench from now on. I've called for these two to get their ***** glued to the PB before the Boston game.

Guess who screwed up the most in the past two games? Gunnar and Holzer. I wonder what RC has against Liles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad