Post-Game Talk: Fought to get one point back!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think the crowd was given something to cheer about. I don't blame the crowd for the last 8 years.

I thought the team showed character battling back after a poor first period..

In the past the team would simply fold like a cheap tent, thus the epic collapse last season.

Yesterday they gave the fans their money's worth by winning periods 2 and 3 as the Pens were the ones holding on at that point.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I honestly don't even care about the "loss", it was great to get a point. I am just more bothered by the fact that montreal won again. How do they keep winning? They are not a great team on paper.

Better that they won and not allow T-Bay to gain any points on us.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Refs were garbage tonight. At least three missed tripping penalties against Pens, one of them in OT. This is forth game and 7th point that was taken from the team strictly by refs. What is even more frustrating that our players are called on so many BS calls. I don't buy for a second this crap that it would eventually even out itself at the end of the season. It NEVER even outs for Leafs. :rant:

We have Pens number for whatever reason recently. Even after few fluke goals they could not hold on to the lead. Good.

We rooked Malkin and rooked Crosby. We rooked couple of Bruins last game too. Sooner rather than latter forwards will take notice. Good.

Our special teams are good. And I mean GOOD.

I'm happy with the point as most teams below us lost in regulation and we played sound hockey,so it feels more like a win for me. :handclap:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
A more typical performance from Reimer and the Pens would have scored 2 goals less. He was having huge problems with rebounds, and the D-men weren't able to cover for him. I thought this game was going south in a hurry after the first period but the Leafs showed they're a different team this year, particularly on the PK. Really, really impressive shorthanded. You'd normally consider 30 seconds of 5-on-3 with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang on the ice to be a guaranteed goal.

Refs chose not to call some particularly obvious penalties on Bozak and Grabo towards the end of the game, but let's be honest. What are the chances the Leafs would have managed to score another one on the PP?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
A more typical performance from Reimer and the Pens would have scored 2 goals less. He was having huge problems with rebounds, and the D-men weren't able to cover for him. I thought this game was going south in a hurry after the first period but the Leafs showed they're a different team this year, particularly on the PK. Really, really impressive shorthanded. You'd normally consider 30 seconds of 5-on-3 with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang on the ice to be a guaranteed goal.

Refs chose not to call some particularly obvious penalties on Bozak and Grabo towards the end of the game, but let's be honest. What are the chances the Leafs would have managed to score another one on the PP?

Pretty high chances of scoring when you got kadri, kessel, phaneuf, Franson on a 4 on 3 in OT.

Almost guaranteed goal considering pittsburgh's pk

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

You start by saying how good out pk is and how much of a different team we are and then you go on to bash our 10th ranked pp. 2/3 last night, no?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You start by saying how good out pk is and how much of a different team we are and then you go on to bash our 10th ranked pp. 2/3 last night, no?

How was that 'bashing' anything? You're that sensitive? :laugh: We were already 2-for-3, what are the chances of going 3-for-4? Pretty low. You've gotta be some kind of moron to think a couple PP goals in a row means you're going to continue scoring at 3x the rate of the typical #1 powerplay percentage in the NHL.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Pretty high chances of scoring when you got kadri, kessel, phaneuf, Franson on a 4 on 3 in OT.

Almost guaranteed goal considering pittsburgh's pk

You mean the way malkin/crosby/neal/letang on a 5-on-3 is "almost guaranteed?"

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Franson really impressed me. I've been a huge fan of his this season and I think he's been playing well. Seeing him on the top pairing is interesting, he brings good offensive skills, the only thing that worries me is his skating.

If Franson was a fast skater, he would be a top 3 d-man on any team easily. It's his only real flaw, especially because he's learned to be physical now.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
How was that 'bashing' anything? You're that sensitive? :laugh: We were already 2-for-3, what are the chances of going 3-for-4? Pretty low. You've gotta be some kind of moron to think a couple PP goals in a row means you're going to continue scoring at 3x the rate of the typical #1 powerplay percentage in the NHL.

You've got to be a bigger moron if you think that scoring 2 PP goals in a game makes it less likely that another PP goal will be scored.

There was a perfectly good chance that a goal would be scored if we got a PP in OT, and it was not impacted negatively in any way by the fact that we already scored 2 PP goals.

I don't think you really understand how odds work. At the start of a game, any team is more likely to go 2/3 rather than 3/4 on the PP. Once you already score 2 powerplay goals already, however, the odds of going 3/4 on the powerplay are much higher than at the start of a game.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
That was a fun game to watch.

Thought Dion had an incredible game and did a great job at defending Crosby. Everybody else? Not so much. His defense was really good last night and the offense was just gravy. I am glad Carlyle finally took Holzer off the pairing, he's been dragging down Dion quite a bit. Franson and Dion looked pretty solid together. I don't think I would mind seeing more of that.

Up and down night for Reimer. Looked great after allowing the 4th goal but he gave up some really weak ones. Solid offensive nights from Kessel and Mac.

The team collectively needs to stop allowing so many shots. It can't be considered good defense when you are consistenly giving up that many shots a game. They need to play a bit more of a puck posession game where you are controlling the game and not letting the opposition do what they want.

leach11

Jul 4, 2012
I've never seen Kessel score in the shootout, except that one time where he shot on Tim Thomas and it went in, but only because Thomas fell inside the net after making the save.

If I was coach I'd pick anyone BUT Kessel.

hmmmm...you do realize he is tied for first in the league with Sidney Crosby for career game winning shootout goals with 13.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I thought the team showed character battling back after a poor first period..

In the past the team would simply fold like a cheap tent, thus the epic collapse last season.

Yesterday they gave the fans their money's worth by winning periods 2 and 3 as the Pens were the ones holding on at that point.

Putting Grabo vs Crosby line made the world of difference.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You've got to be a bigger moron if you think that scoring 2 PP goals in a game makes it less likely that another PP goal will be scored.

There was a perfectly good chance that a goal would be scored if we got a PP in OT, and it was not impacted negatively in any way by the fact that we already scored 2 PP goals.

I don't think you really understand how odds work. At the start of a game, any team is more likely to go 2/3 rather than 3/4 on the PP. Once you already score 2 powerplay goals already, however, the odds of going 3/4 on the powerplay are much higher than at the start of a game.

Ummm...no. This is not flipping a coin. This is something where there is a roughly 20% average chance of success, and it's not just completely random. When you've scored 2 goals in under 40 seconds of PP time, a team (particularly the goalie) starts trying a LOT harder to prevent the next one. There is a reason that teams don't score 3 PP goals in a game very often.

I don't think you really understand how odds work.

Irony alert. Even the most basic independent probability with no external factors tells you that if you have basically a 1 in 5 chance of a result, getting it 3 out of 4 times is highly unlikely. The chance of success in each individual try is the same, the probability of going 3/4 or better is exponentially less with every attempt.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, at this point I'm hoping this is a sign that Holzer is going back down. The GA has not been solid so no excuse not to change things up. It's become a repeated message, but seriously get Gardiner back up with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad