Forza Horizon V (Nov. 9th, 2021) - Xbox Series X

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
It’s glorious. Played for about 3 hours last night. Going with quality mode and the 30 fps doesn’t feel slow at all, and the graphical fidelity is insane, especially in races. Map is a heck of a lot more colorful than 4.

4 was the first one I played. Enjoyed it, but yeah, the map was pretty dull. Have it pre-loaded for Tuesday (PC)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It’s glorious. Played for about 3 hours last night. Going with quality mode and the 30 fps doesn’t feel slow at all, and the graphical fidelity is insane, especially in races. Map is a heck of a lot more colorful than 4.
I've been loving it as well. Like A LOT.

I tried both quality and performance. With performance the graphics unfortunately just become way too flat/smooth so quality is definitely the way to go.

Its just so damn fun I can already tell I'm going to be grinding this game nonstop for quite some time :naughty:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Online was always wonky in 4, but got into matches last night and it was great. This game is gorgeous. The dirt races on the beach are so fun. I knew this would probably take over as my game of the year, but it has already happened.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm the opposite. I can't really tell the difference in graphics in both modes but 60 fps really shines in performance mode. Either way you can't go wrong. Such a beautiful game!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How are you lot liking the map? I loved IV, but the map got really stale with the endless amount of countryside farm lands.

Reactions: CPTN71

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Whenever I get into race the speedometer doesn't show up until slightly after a race starts and it messes with my launches as you can't tell when to shift. Anyway to counter this?

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I can't wait to play it in the evening. It looks so good, Mexico looks way coolee than Britain and I really have an Forza-itch since 2 weeks.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I wish they'd stop putting in a level requirement for online play, it makes the first hour of the game feel like a slog since we're just trying to unlock that so that we can then finally get everyone in and really play.

I'll need to mess around with the steering wheel settings, but it already feels better than FH4.

There's some strange quality of life features missing and some bugs/performance issues (at least on PC), but for the most part the game looks like it's going to be great.

Mexico is actually interesting to explore with some really cool landmarks to find, unlike GB. The presentation is improved from FH4 and some things have been made less annoying - like buying several cars at once.

I also have to say that I'm glad they've kept the team racing format for online adventure. The big draw of the FH games for me is the ability to play with friends of different skill levels. Having everyone be able to play with their own assist settings, and able to contribute to the teams score by passing AI cars no matter which position they are in keeps everyone in the game. Even if you're in last, gaining one spot can be crucial, it prevents players from losing interest midway through the race when they know they can't finish in 1st.

The AI though, man is it awful, the game doesn't even try to pretend that they're abiding by the same laws of physics as you are as they whip around 90 degree turns without braking, but then on a straight away they go way too slow and let you easily pass them. And of course there's the classic rubber banding "feature". I know it's an arcade game, but it makes both winning and losing feel unsatisfying.

Whenever I get into race the speedometer doesn't show up until slightly after a race starts and it messes with my launches as you can't tell when to shift. Anyway to counter this?

I don't know why they can't give us even just a 3 second countdown before the race so that you can actually use launch control. They made the effort to put that it into the game, it's a shame to make it almost useless.

Last edited:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
So far I'm having a great time with the game but I have two criticisms. The aliasing is pretty bad (especially on foliage) even with 8x MSAA enabled. Also there is noticeable pop in even with settings maxed out which can be distracting when you're driving through the world so fast. Otherwise the game is excellent and performs adequately on my hardware.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So far I'm having a great time with the game but I have two criticisms. The aliasing is pretty bad (especially on foliage) even with 8x MSAA enabled. Also there is noticeable pop in even with settings maxed out which can be distracting when you're driving through the world so fast. Otherwise the game is excellent and performs adequately on my hardware.

Try enabling transparency antialiasing. If you have an Nvidia card, it's in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Antialiasing - Transparency." Also, you might try "super resolution" (DSR for Nvidia), i.e. rendering the game at a higher resolution than your monitor supports and then scaling it down. It's good for reducing aliasing, especially on foliage. Obviously, your performance will take a hit because you're rendering at a higher resolution, but disabling AA might mitigate a little of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeaveli

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Played for a few hours, decided to open up the jungle area first, game is pretty good but I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the early access and DLC, don't know how long it will keep my attention.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Played for a few hours, decided to open up the jungle area first, game is pretty good but I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the early access and DLC, don't know how long it will keep my attention.

The early access was really buggy but it’s really fun. Especially with a Halo Warthog

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
This game looks amazing! The only complaint is I have not been able to skip through any cut scenes but I know this story mode is normal for Forza in the beginning. I have a decent amount of cars in my garage due to the loyalty program. I always preferred regular Forza with the actual tracks to improve my lap times on.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Try enabling transparency antialiasing. If you have an Nvidia card, it's in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Antialiasing - Transparency." Also, you might try "super resolution" (DSR for Nvidia), i.e. rendering the game at a higher resolution than your monitor supports and then scaling it down. It's good for reducing aliasing, especially on foliage. Obviously, your performance will take a hit because you're rendering at a higher resolution, but disabling AA might mitigate a little of that.
Thanks for the suggestion, gave it a try and it seems the best solution for now is just enabling 8x MSAA and FXAA in the game's settings. Hopefully Playground will add DLSS or DLAA support later on along with an LOD setting that allows the game to scale higher than the console version. Driving through fields of crops during the cross country races and just watching all the plants switch from low detail to high detail as you drive close is pretty rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad