Forsberg vs Mackinnon

Who has the greatest legacy?

• Total voters

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In terms of current legacy it's obviously Forsberg.

This is MacKinnon's 7th NHL season. For comparison's sake, at the end of Forsberg's 7th season he had won 2 Stanley Cups and played in 95 playoff games. I'm not going to post the numbers, but MacKinnon obviously had a slow start to his career the first 3-4 seasons.

Where MacKinnon has the edge moving forward, though, is he's younger (soon to be 25; Forsberg was 28 after his 7th season) and doesn't have the injury issues Forsberg has. Forsberg didn't play at all in the regular season of his 8th season, and his 10th season he only played 39 games. (Of course, he won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP in his 9th season with the club...).

Unless he really hits a wall at a young age, or the Avalanche don't win a single cup when he's here, MacKinnon is going to win this in the long run.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Duke was a pretty damn good defensive winger as well. Much better than Mikko. It's too bad Sakic doesn't play now, he'd tore the league in half. As for Foppa, he was amazing, injuries destroyed him but also helped create a mythical-like story around him as we didn't see him playing as an older guy.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Duke was a pretty damn good defensive winger as well. Much better than Mikko. It's too bad Sakic doesn't play now, he'd tore the league in half. As for Foppa, he was amazing, injuries destroyed him but also helped create a mythical-like story around him as we didn't see him playing as an older guy.

Forsbergs vision, strength, and intelligence would have aged extremely well, I don't see that as an issue. He was broken as shit and pushing 35 his last couple of years and was still a ppg player.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Forsbergs vision, strength, and intelligence would have aged extremely well, I don't see that as an issue. He was broken as shit and pushing 35 his last couple of years and was still a ppg player.
Good part of his injuries was due to his playing style. He lived by the sword and died by it. All it is, is "would've, could've" but he didn't.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Good part of his injuries was due to his playing style. He lived by the sword and died by it. All it is, is "would've, could've" but he didn't.
Yes and no. His willingness to take hits to make plays certainly contributed a lot to his point production, but the number of penalties that were committed against him in the 90's was downright comical. He essentially spent a decade as a Swedish Sea-Doo.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Yes and no. His willingness to take hits to make plays certainly contributed a lot to his point production, but the number of penalties that were committed against him in the 90's was downright comical. He essentially spent a decade as a Swedish Sea-Doo.

He dished plenty back as well.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

tenor.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In terms of current legacy it's obviously Forsberg.

This is MacKinnon's 7th NHL season. For comparison's sake, at the end of Forsberg's 7th season he had won 2 Stanley Cups and played in 95 playoff games. I'm not going to post the numbers, but MacKinnon obviously had a slow start to his career the first 3-4 seasons.

Where MacKinnon has the edge moving forward, though, is he's younger (soon to be 25; Forsberg was 28 after his 7th season) and doesn't have the injury issues Forsberg has. Forsberg didn't play at all in the regular season of his 8th season, and his 10th season he only played 39 games. (Of course, he won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP in his 9th season with the club...).

Unless he really hits a wall at a young age, or the Avalanche don't win a single cup when he's here, MacKinnon is going to win this in the long run.
Not fair to Nathan. The Avs were built for sex the moment Forsberg entered the league. Mackinnon was joining a young team that just got the first overall pick....him.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Forsberg and don't believe it's close.

He's dominated every level of competition, won every major championship twice. Averaged more than 1 PPG his entire career at every level. Scoring average was even higher during playoff competition. The last 5 injury ravaged seasons, he still limped to a PPG. Built for any era, but still successful in a clutch and grab period.

If he played in this era, I would consider him better than McDavid.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
well. do you want the skilled player or the skilled player who is also physical? forsberg brings another dimension to the game becucse of his hitting.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I mean all the glory years team did with Forsberg was win 2 cups in 5 years. It's a great accomplishment yes but it's been done several times. Realistically the modern day Blackhawks were a more successful team than the Avs were.

I say this because if this core can manage to win 3 cups like the Hawks did all of them lead by Mackinnon than his legacy would out shine Forsbergs imo.

As of now it's not even close though. Nate has a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I hadn’t considered Nate actually reaching Forsberg legend level. Games of his like last night make me wonder what we’re witnessing.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not fair to Nathan. The Avs were built for sex the moment Forsberg entered the league. Mackinnon was joining a young team that just got the first overall pick....him.

Sorry meant to respond to this a while ago.

Yeah, I'm not trying to insult MacKinnon with that statement/stat line. I just pointed it out because it's important to the scope of the question of legacy.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sorry meant to respond to this a while ago.

Yeah, I'm not trying to insult MacKinnon with that statement/stat line. I just pointed it out because it's important to the scope of the question of legacy.

I initially read this thread as who was better. With that its Forsberg but its not a huge gap.

When it comes to the question of who will have a better legacy as an Av I say its Forsberg now but Mackinnon can easily surpass that with a few cups and some personal hardware.

Reactions: shadow1

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I hadn’t considered Nate actually reaching Forsberg legend level. Games of his like last night make me wonder what we’re witnessing.
Mackinnon had to mature a little and we are benefitting from his maturity as a person and a pro. Its crazy to say but I think Mackinnon still can reach another level. I don't think this is his final form.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean all the glory years team did with Forsberg was win 2 cups in 5 years. It's a great accomplishment yes but it's been done several times. Realistically the modern day Blackhawks were a more successful team than the Avs were.

I say this because if this core can manage to win 3 cups like the Hawks did all of them lead by Mackinnon than his legacy would out shine Forsbergs imo.

As of now it's not even close though. Nate has a lot of work to do.
Those Hawk teams would have been destroyed by the Red Wings and Dallas teams the Avs faced in 99,00 and 02. Those two teams f***ed us out of atleast 1 and maybe 2 more cups.

Your point about Mackinnons Avalanche legacy outshining Forsbergs is fair and I hope it happens.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Come back in 10 years and we'll have a better idea.

Even then, I think the nostalgia of "Peter the great" and the old Avs superteam will hang heavy with a lot of people.
I don't think it will be nostalgia, the dude was just that damned good.

Those teams were just that damned good, too. We had everything you could want from a team. I feel lucky to have been a huge fan at that time, tbh.

It would be super nice to be having this debate for real in about ten years.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't think it will be nostalgia, the dude was just that damned good.

Those teams were just that damned good, too. We had everything you could want from a team. I feel lucky to have been a huge fan at that time, tbh.

It would be super nice to be having this debate for real in about ten years.
If Mackinnon wins a few cups and adds a Hart,Art Ross then he will surpass Forsbergs legacy as an Av.

Im not sure if I will ever see Mackinnon being a better hockey player than Forsberg though.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad