Forsberg vs Mackinnon

Who has the greatest legacy?

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As great as Mackinnon is Forsberg was on another level. Mackinnon doesn't dominate at will. Peter Forsberg never took a shift off in the NHL and played both sides of the puck well especially early in his career. In the playoffs Forsberg was even more of a problem. There really is no comparison here and this is very unfair to Mackinnon.

Yeah the domination factor is key.

Nate dominates lots of games, but there was a period of years there were Peter was dominating almost every shift. It was incredible to watch.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah the domination factor is key.

Nate dominates lots of games, but there was a period of years there were Peter was dominating almost every shift. It was incredible to watch.
Legit there were games where Forsberg did whatever he wanted and there was nothing the other team was going to do about it. He used to torment the hell out of the Northwest division especially when those teams werent so good (Edmonton and Vancouver in particular he feasted on) . I have so many recorded games from 96-2005 where you just watch this guy and wonder how hes able to do some of the things hes doing and often with a defender draped all over him. Its actually unfortunate he didnt play during a time where access to game footage was so readily available I mean we can legitimately find footage of all of Ovechkins 760+ goals regular season and playoffs in the NHL. Too bad we couldnt do that for Forsberg, Sakic, Orr etc.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Get halfway to 2 Cups to start. :sarcasm: I remember watching playoff series vs Detroit with friends who supported the Wing Dings, & they’d hold their breath when he began carrying the puck behind the net. They respected Joe, they hated, but feared Foppa.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
My feeling is that the fact that this is even a legitimate question to consider is remarkable in itself. I really never expected to see a player at the level of Forsberg or Sakic in an Avs uniform again. And while I agree that he's not there yet overall, MacK at times is certainly at that level and brings some pure physical tools that the other two didn't have.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see MacK second only to Sakic as an all-time great Av if he plays out his career here. Obviously we need at least a cup and some personal hardware, but those seem quite reasonable possibilities. That doesn't mean he'll be seen as better than Foppa, but the injury history and tenure come into play when considering 'career as an Av'.

Still mind boggling to me that Forsberg is 4th all-time in assists/game but only led the league in assists ONCE.

Reactions: klozge

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
When all is said and done, I think Mackinnon joins the pantheon with at least a Hart and two Cups. On par with each other.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not ready for this discussion. Mikko vs Hejduk might be easier to deal with though.

True story, I have a game worn Hejduk jersey that is signed I bought for 75$ on ebay. I think dude had no idea what he had. My only explanation for it is possibly a casual fan winning the jerseys off our back thing, and then pawning it in a state with no hockey lol.

Dude selling it probably just thought obscure player, and the jersey is beat up. This was bought before they retired his number too lol.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not ready for this discussion. Mikko vs Hejduk might be easier to deal with though.

True story, I have a game worn Hejduk jersey that is signed I bought for 75$ on ebay. I think dude had no idea what he had. My only explanation for it is possibly a casual fan winning the jerseys off our back thing, and then pawning it in a state with no hockey lol.

Dude selling it probably just thought obscure player, and the jersey is beat up. This was bought before they retired his number too lol.

Loved Hejduk, but I do think Mikko will surpass him eventually.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Get halfway to 2 Cups to start. :sarcasm: I remember watching playoff series vs Detroit with friends who supported the Wing Dings, & they’d hold their breath when he began caring the puck behind the net. They respected Joe, they hated, but feared Foppa.
My friends were the same in 99 and 2000 lol. Forsberg destroyed Detroit both years.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don't know, Hejduk has a Rocket Richard trophy. I could see it being a lot closer than Mack vs Forsberg though lol.

I think it seems impossible right now, because the Avs players are so young.

The only glory players legacy who I feel are probably untouchable are Sakic and Roy.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was thinking about these two guys the other day. Who has the better hands?

Ahh, it's hard to parse their passing and vision. The shot is comparable, but different too.

I think Mikko is more balanced in when he thinks pass vs shoot when hes on lol. Although I find myself yelling at Mikko to shoot a lot.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't know, Hejduk has a Rocket Richard trophy. I could see it being a lot closer than Mack vs Forsberg though lol.

I feel like Rants has bigger borderline superstar wing potential, if he ever consistently combines balance, physicality, & scoring. Hejduk’s flexibility insofar as a top 6er who could effectively PP & PK was pretty special, though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I feel like Rants has bigger borderline superstar wing potential, if he ever consistently combines balance, physicality, & scoring. Hejduk’s flexibility insofar as a top 6er who could effectively PP & PK was pretty special, though.

Yeah it's a way more dynamic discussion than Mack vs Forsberg IMO.

Moose vs the Duke is interestingly close. It won't be if Mikko is consistently putting up 90 points in his prime though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He’s never gonna bring the body as much as Forsberg, which will hopefully extend his career, but God I wish MacK would bull rush the net like 21 more.

I'm actually ok with him not bull rushing the net as much. Nate genuinely scares me sometimes when he flies through traffic to the front of the net or below the goal line. He's just going so fast.

I literally make that cringe face worried about what's going to happen next. Hopefully it never does (knock on wood).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad