Tribute Former Stars Thread

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
He was better last season than he was during the pandemic year but that was mostly on offense. Defensively he's been bad for quite a while now. I find it amazing how different Esa and Klingers +/- are from last year. I know the stat doesn't mean a whole lot but if two players that regularly play together on a pairing have this different of a +/- something is off.

Esa +4 , Klingberg -28 . Thats just wierd.
PP time most likely a big part of it. He had 19 PP points last season, so that's 19 points he doesn't get a + for.

Klingberg really isn't doing great for the Ducks though.

1671033371187.png

serp

Jan 17, 2016
PP time most likely a big part of it. He had 19 PP points last season, so that's 19 points he doesn't get a + for.

Klingberg really isn't doing great for the Ducks though.

View attachment 621489

Not like the Stars scored a whole lot more with Esa out there without Klinger. Objectively the Stars got scored on alot more with Klingberg out there and that had been the case for a couple of years. Klingbergs last really good full season was 18-19 and he was amazing in the playoff bubble but since then ? He's been a one-way offensive defenseman who is a defensive sieve.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Not like the Stars scored a whole lot more with Esa out there without Klinger. Objectively the Stars got scored on alot more with Klingberg out there and that had been the case for a couple of years. Klingbergs last really good full season was 18-19 and he was amazing in the playoff bubble but since then ? He's been a one-way offensive defenseman who is a defensive sieve.
Esa also didn't get minuses for PK time.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Empty-netters are another source of minuses for Klingberg as well. Wonder how bad it looks if you take those away? (Though some of those minuses shouldn't be taken away because they were 100% the result of Klingberg's poor handling of the puck at the blueline.)

Reactions: Elysian

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Klinger was my favorite Stars player for a long time. I remember the dark years of Daley as our best puck mover and then he came along and showed us what offense from the backend could be again.

Real shame to see whats happened to him the past year and this year. Hope he can bounce back and have a long career.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Yeah, as firmly as I was on the side of dont sign a defenseman that doesn’t play any defense into his twilight years I want him to do well enough to get a decent contract somewhere and get the money he should have earned with dallas. His agents have really done him wrong throughout his career

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars offered him slightly less than 60x8 ( 58 was the max reported right ? ) up until early into last season . Stars def didn't wrong him with that contract offer

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Stars offered him slightly less than 60x8 ( 58 was the max reported right ? ) up until early into last season . Stars def didn't wrong him with that contract offer
No they did not do him wrong at all with that offer. I meant he should have been earning more on the previous contract or bet on himself back then instead of now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
No they did not do him wrong at all with that offer. I meant he should have been earning more on the previous contract or bet on himself back then instead of now.
I wonder how the cap and roster would look had they actually signed JK to anything near that offer. While Nill did offer something (I was thinking it was more like $54M, but no quibbling over that) it always seemed like they knew they never had the money to sign him.

I guess there would be no Mason Marchment or Lundquivst, and maybe even Glendenning and a few others would have been scratched in favor of more rookie or AHL level forwards. Together, I think Marchment and Nils more than replace JK's offense, with better injury protection (i.e., 2 players vs 1 older player)

As good as JK was offensively, I have been around the Stars long enough as a fan to recall other "How did we let him walk?" scenarios, including Darian Hatcher, Mo, Hull, etc. The team always survived somehow with the replacement production and each decision probably turned out to be the right one. And, compared to that early 2000's period, I think hockey is even more of a young man's game, making signing old vets even a worse proposition than back then.

Reactions: Ratbath

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think they re-sign Pavs if they re-sign Klingberg. Once Pavs got extended the Klingberg discussions more or less stopped and never got serious again.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Ducks have taken Klinger off their top power play unit. What a trainwreck of a season for him.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
He's going to be back in Frolunda soon.
I think he would be a lot better on the right team, who isn’t a bottom feeder and who will use him in a nuanced role. He’s no longer a top defender but can still run a powerplay, even if not the #1 unit. He certainly won’t be making $7M per next season, though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Alot will depend on who trades for Klingberg at the deadline and how well he functions there. At this point this is like Taylor Hall in Buffalo only even worse.

If he can be a positive contributor to a playoff team after beeing traded he can still earn himself a $4-6M per year contract for say 4-6 years . Thats obviously nowhere near what a) was offered by the Stars or b) even worse what he actually wanted from either the Stars or the market but at this point its the best he can hope for

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
1672532864085.png

He's been pretty bad overall. His PP effectiveness has dropped pretty significantly this season, not really surprised they've taken him off the top PP.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
It seems it was NHL or bust for him. He was pretty decent in the AHL, but couldn't seem to crack the NHL so he said f*** it and went back to Switzerland. Guess I don't blame him.
Tippett starting Turco 74 games I guess can really sour you. It wasn’t like the Stars were a great team that year. I’ve always found it to be poor player management the way Stephan was handled. Like you said, he had solid numbers as a young goalie in the AHL, outstanding debut against Chicago. Even after leaving the NHL season following the 08/09 year, he carved out a very strong career overseas and in international tournaments.

The Tobias Stephan case always intrigued me and how it went down in 2008/2009.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't like to think about our goaltending prospects during the late Turco/Lehtonen era. So many bums. Crazy that Stephan kept it going for so long in Switzerland.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just saw that Tyler Beskorowany is still active. For like solid 15 years the Stars did not draft a goalie that became an NHL player for them. Mike Smith and then nothing until Otter.

Reactions: MBTendy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad