Former prospects - Where are they now?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Krupp didn't get hurt in the Iditarod. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

He competed in low speed short distance races that include the elderly and disabled vets... And he wasn't injured dogsledding. He apparently re-aggravated a spine injury suffered during a fight with Jamie Pushor during the infamous brawl game in March 1997. When Doctors told him he needed a spinal fusion that would end his career, the Red Wings looked for a way to void his contract since they allegedly chose not to insure it.... They used competing in dogsledding as a way to void it. Krupp getting injured dogsledding was HSJ Koolaid to make the organization look competent in the whole thing.

Anybody still regurgitating the propaganda over Krupp from the Red Wings front office should read this: MITCH ALBOM ON: KRUPP V. WINGS: 'I WANT MY REPUTATION BACK'DOG-EAT-DOG LEGAL BATTLE RAGES ON OVER $12.3 MILLION » Mitch Albom

And IMO, Krupp's injury didn't cost them another Cup. Holland pissing away the teams depth on D so he could sign Krupp probably had more to do with that, but the injury also opened the door to acquire Chelios.

Agreed. THough that was pre-HSJ.
Might have been Cotsonika.
And, Krupp was a Scotty Bowman guy too. Bowman drafted Krupp way back when in Buffalo and considered Krupp one of his best picks.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What does Hossa have to do with anything? Grigorenko got in that accident in 2004, Hossa was signed in 2009, and Franzen was drafted to be a bottom-6 guy.

If you're saying that we don't sign Hossa because Grigorenko develops into a top-line player, so what?

Yeah, chances are, if Grigorenko becomes the player we hoped, then Holland has to choose between Grigorenko and Franzen. Though maybe, Grigs' UFA contract wouldn't be an issue until the next year, allowing the cap to rise by $2.6M.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Yeah, chances are, if Grigorenko becomes the player we hoped, then Holland has to choose between Grigorenko and Franzen. Though maybe, Grigs' UFA contract wouldn't be an issue until the next year, allowing the cap to rise by $2.6M.
Chances are if Grigs became the player he looked like he might be, Franzen peaks as a 2nd liner.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Not sure if he really counted as a "prospect" since he signed at 24YO, but one of the bigger somewhat recent disappointing young guys had to be Ville Leino.

Guy didn't look out of place at all coming up for a month in 08-09, putting up 9 points in 13 games and then subbing in during the run to the Finals. Re-signed for $800k for two years and was no doubt viewed as a sure fire way to cheaply replace some of the goal scoring lost when Hossa, Samuelsson and Hudler left.

Then he just absolutely bombed the next year... A concept that almost seemed foreign as a Red Wings fan after seeing guys like Williams, Franzen, Cleary, Samuelsson, Hudler and Filppula pretty quickly come in a establish regular roles and grow into important pieces.

When he tore it up with the Flyers, I wondered if maybe he'd have figured it out in Detroit had they not had to move him due to the salary cap. Then he was garbage for Buffalo, so that kind of answered my question.

Reactions: Ricelund

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure if he really counted as a "prospect" since he signed at 24YO, but one of the bigger somewhat recent disappointing young guys had to be Ville Leino.

When he tore it up with the Flyers, I wondered if maybe he'd have figured it out in Detroit had they not had to move him due to the salary cap. Then he was garbage for Buffalo, so that kind of answered my question.

Leino had his short great moment, but it was devastating to see him suffer at Buffalo and was weakened by bad hip injury/surgery.

It would have one interesting contract to have, 4.5M for 6 seasons or what did Sabres pay for him.

They are still paying for him 1.222M for next year, after a compliance buyout.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Leino had to go and HE made the right decision because he got paid, but I thought Brunner really flubbed up by leaving the Wings.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Leino had to go and HE made the right decision because he got paid, but I thought Brunner really flubbed up by leaving the Wings.

Brunner was pretty good. I was opposed the signing at the time, because I thought it was time to give Tatar a shot.
Brunner's defense sucked and he was weak on the boards.
He had a long second half slump. But then the playoffs come and he played well again.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Guy didn't look out of place at all coming up for a month in 08-09, putting up 9 points in 13 games and then subbing in during the run to the Finals. Re-signed for $800k for two years and was no doubt viewed as a sure fire way to cheaply replace some of the goal scoring lost when Hossa, Samuelsson and Hudler left.

Then he just absolutely bombed the next year... A concept that almost seemed foreign as a Red Wings fan after seeing guys like Williams, Franzen, Cleary, Samuelsson, Hudler and Filppula pretty quickly come in a establish regular roles and grow into important pieces.

His great run with Philadelphia was really bizarre given the rest of his NHL career. 21 points in 19 games in the 2010 playoffs!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ooof, that pick hurts. Hurts even more when you realize Ryan O'Reilly was taken directly after him.
ROR didn't really have spectacular juniors stats, and Ferraro was one of the fastest skaters in that draft. Plus his dad had a decent NHL career, and I think the expectation was that he'd have a similar career. (Decent but not spectacular.)

That's not a pick that I'd cry over, it was a reasonable pick. Plus they got lucky with Tats later in the round. I hated the Givani pick more for early second. That high in the draft, you want to pick someone who has more hockey skills than just being physical.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
THN
BURSTING BUBBLES: THE TOP FIVE UNEXPECTED PRE-SEASON HEROES

Tomas Jurco, LW, 26 (Edmonton – 2 points)
Once a budding young prospect in the Detroit system, Jurco never really found his game in the NHL and bounced around the NHL and AHL for a handful of years. He didn’t sign a deal until January last season and spent a month with AHL Springfield before joining Charlotte on their Calder Cup run. Now he’s Oilers property, and with two points through two games and a expected goals rate of 0.62 – the second-best among players with at least 20 minutes of ice time so far – he’s making the most of his opportunity. Jurco has done enough early on to stick around for opening night on Oct. 2, but he needs to make sure he stays consistent to remain in the NHL.

Glad he is catching on somewhere. Holland giving him another chance.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Looks like Martin Frk was part of the Kings first round of roster cuts and hit waivers today.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Logan Pyett is still kicking around. Spent a fistful of seasons in the KHL after a very nice junior career and a pretty good AHL career. He is now on Kookoo of Liiga.
Ryan Oulahen didn't have much of a playing career after being drafted, but he did go into coaching at a fairly young age with our Flint Firebirds. Unfortunately he stepped down as Head Coach at the beginning of last season due to personal and family reasons, hopefully things work out and he gets back into coaching, he did well for Team Canada and won a gold last year.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
THN
BURSTING BUBBLES: THE TOP FIVE UNEXPECTED PRE-SEASON HEROES

Tomas Jurco, LW, 26 (Edmonton – 2 points)
Once a budding young prospect in the Detroit system, Jurco never really found his game in the NHL and bounced around the NHL and AHL for a handful of years. He didn’t sign a deal until January last season and spent a month with AHL Springfield before joining Charlotte on their Calder Cup run. Now he’s Oilers property, and with two points through two games and a expected goals rate of 0.62 – the second-best among players with at least 20 minutes of ice time so far – he’s making the most of his opportunity. Jurco has done enough early on to stick around for opening night on Oct. 2, but he needs to make sure he stays consistent to remain in the NHL.

Glad he is catching on somewhere. Holland giving him another chance.
I always liked Jurco. I'm glad he's playing well.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel awkward for Ferraro, I feel like he is floating around the league based on dad recognition. If he hasn't found a home by now its a long shot. If he wants regular playtime I think its commit to the AHL or Europe for him. His stats in the AHL are not much to write home about for a 28 year old

I always root for Jurco he looked like he had the talent to make it happen I am just not sure they developed him right here, so if he finds a role that would be awesome.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I feel awkward for Ferraro, I feel like he is floating around the league based on dad recognition. If he hasn't found a home by now its a long shot. If he wants regular playtime I think its commit to the AHL or Europe for him. His stats in the AHL are not much to write home about for a 28 year old

I always root for Jurco he looked like he had the talent to make it happen I am just not sure they developed him right here, so if he finds a role that would be awesome.
Ferraro is good defensively.

He was also given an award from AHL last year for his charity/community work.

Wild’s Ferraro named 2018-19 AHL Man of the Year | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

IIRC, he is on a PTO with Vancouver.

Reactions: Retire91

Solarion

Jul 27, 2018
Landon Ferraro: Released from tryout

"The Canucks released Ferraro from his professional tryout agreement Saturday.
The veteran forward was always considered a longshot to land a spot on Vancouver's 23-man roster, so this news doesn't come as a surprise. Ferraro hasn't appeared in an NHL contest since 2017-18 and will likely have to settle for a two-way deal if he wants to remain in North America for the 2019-20 campaign."

Probably that'll be the end of Landon's NHL chances.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Jurco was hyped for being a crafty, skilled forward and then proceeded to play like a grinder in the NHL. It never made any sense to me; I was happy to see him go.

Same with Joakim Andersson. How that guy got a roster spot 5 seasons in the NHL (when Detroit had a decent squad too) is beyond me.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Same with Joakim Andersson. How that guy got a roster spot 5 seasons in the NHL (when Detroit had a decent squad too) is beyond me.

A squad so decent that it's crazy to think Andersson had to displace the mighty Cory Emmerton to become the teams 4th line center...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad