Almquist - Bäckman
Russo - Marchenko
Kindl

Mrazek
Larsson

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
One of Holland's biggest mistakes was keeping Meech and letting Quincey go, then he made it worse by giving up a first to get Quincey back. I remember being pissed when Quincey was waived ahead of Meech. Knew right off the bat that that was a mistake.

Speaking of KFQ, I don't think he's signed anywhere for this season, played in Finland last season. Surprised Holland hasn't recycled him yet.
And wasn't part of that mess keeping old man Chelios in the lineup over both of them? Chelios is a gamer but he was so slow by that time that he barely played.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And wasn't part of that mess keeping old man Chelios in the lineup over both of them? Chelios is a gamer but he was so slow by that time that he barely played.

I remember Chelios looking slow as hell back in 2004 with Hatcher. Keep in mind Chelios was 42 by that time and still suited up for 4 more seasons after the lockout. I just remember Iginla and company walking around them in the playoffs and thinking how slow our blueline was.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, Chelios was part of the issue, but ultimately the decision came down to Meech or Quincey. I remember Quincey looked OK in 06/07 playoffs (13 games) and somehow (I don't remember why) he wound up in the doghouse the following season and Meech got playing time (32 games) over KFQ (6 games) the following season. KFQ was then waived before the 08 season because Meech supposedly played both forward and defense.

I never really understood the whole deal with being able to play F & D, most of the guys who supposedly can do both suck at both (Big Buf & Burns being exceptions of course). You could put any random PMD as a forward and get more offense than Meech, Witter, etc.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Anyone remember this 1st round pick? He managed to play 50 games for the Wings over parts of three seasons

yan-golubovsky-1995-11.jpg

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Remember Nick Oslund? I remember one of his high school friends posting on LetsGoWings talking him up after the Wings drafted him.

:laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Remember Nick Oslund? I remember one of his high school friends posting on LetsGoWings talking him up after the Wings drafted him.

I am having some flashbacks with these guys drafted in the 2000’s.

I remember being very optimistic about Max Nicastro. I think I also liked Gleason Fournier... he was a good skater maybe???

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
edit: I had to look up who the pic was, but I do remember the guy and that his biggest contribution was as a trade chip.

And with Nicastro, it seemed he had some off-ice issues.

I can't imagine what that's like, though. Have a friend get drafted, check out a fairly popular internet site focusing on prospects of the team he's drafted from, read everyone saying how much he sucks... .

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yes, Chelios was part of the issue, but ultimately the decision came down to Meech or Quincey. I remember Quincey looked OK in 06/07 playoffs (13 games) and somehow (I don't remember why) he wound up in the doghouse the following season and Meech got playing time (32 games) over KFQ (6 games) the following season. KFQ was then waived before the 08 season because Meech supposedly played both forward and defense.

I never really understood the whole deal with being able to play F & D, most of the guys who supposedly can do both suck at both (Big Buf & Burns being exceptions of course). You could put any random PMD as a forward and get more offense than Meech, Witter, etc.

Meech got the playing time in 07/08 because he lost waiver exemption a year before Quincey did and was on the main roster that whole year. Quincey was the first Dman called up from GR when they needed one when Kronwall and Rafalski went down late in the season. Then they lost Lidstrom and Chelios and had to call up Ericsson and Stafford. Ericsson was older and seemed to have passed Quincey on the depth chart in GR and in the NHL. When Stuart came in and Kronwall got healthy, the team opted to keep up Ericsson and send Quincey and Stafford back down.

I do remember that in the 2008 offseason the Red Wings sent Quincey to Aaron Downey's farm to learn how to fight, to add some more edge to his game.

I often wondered if there was off ice/coaching/attitude issues with Quincey that dropped his stock a little. There was the whole Cup ring fiasco (although that might have been his agent?), the stuff that probably shouldn't have been said when he left the Avs, and then his last stop in the NHL where the Wild wanted him to play the right side but he refused and got waived and demoted but was sent home instead of reporting to the AHL team.

Hindsight's certainly 20/20, but it probably would've been better to pat Chelios on the back after that 2008 Cup and offer him a cushy front office job. With Stuart in the fold, Chelios was no longer in the top 6, and the team would've been better suited to give that #7/8D time to Meech/Quincey/Ericsson.

Then again, the loss of Quincey was kind of small potatoes. They had a deal lined up to send him to Dallas, but it fell through when he failed a physical. The other thing was that, like Meech, Quincey was going to have a hard time getting ice time for the foreseeable future. The Wings had their top 6 on D at the time (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lilja, and Lebda) locked up for the next 2 seasons, and Ericsson would be knocking on the door when he lost waiver exemption the next season. If you hypothetically drop Chelios from the 08-09 roster and replace him with Quincey, it's probably still Ericsson that gets a spot on the 3rd pairing when Lilja goes down, while Quincey and Meech stay at #7/8. Quincey probably wouldn't have had the impact he did playing on a lottery Kings D that outside of rookie Doughty would've been questionable at the AHL level... He would've had sheltered minutes when he wasn't in the press box, and could've ended up with the same trajectory as Meech, where he'd get jumped by Ericsson, then be an odd man out when the next guy with some perceived upside loses waiver exemption (Kindl).

The upside to keeping Quincey would've been that they either know that he wasn't worth the trade, or was still around as depth when they decided to move a 1st for him.

As for the D at F thing... Most times that a D gets dressed as a F, it's simply to take 5v5 shifts with the 4th line on wing where they'll be seeing a lot of D zone draws and expected to bring some energy and a physical game as opposed to offense. That's a much better role for a plug on D like Meech or Witkowski (and Babcock did it with Smith at least once, and I think the Rangers were doing that with him quite a bit this past season) than a random PMD.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
My fondest memory of KFQ...Was on HBO's 24/7 Road to the Winter Classic...KFQ 'how about some fish tacos' (his response when a fan offered to buy a round of shots at the restaurant).

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anyone remember this 1st round pick? He managed to play 50 games for the Wings over parts of three seasons

yan-golubovsky-1995-11.jpg

Yan Golubovsky?

There's a whole 'nother group of guys that didn't pan out from that era.... Kevin Hodson and Norm Maracle, that sweet (for a couple games) 4th line of Yuri Butsayev, Marc Rodgers and Darryl LaPlante, Wallin and Kuznetsov, 1 season of Dmitri Bykov, Darryl Bootland, Nathan Robinson...

ChelisChiliBar

Feb 26, 2018
Yan Golubovsky?

There's a whole 'nother group of guys that didn't pan out from that era.... Kevin Hodson and Norm Maracle, that sweet (for a couple games) 4th line of Yuri Butsayev, Marc Rodgers and Darryl LaPlante, Wallin and Kuznetsov, 1 season of Dmitri Bykov, Darryl Bootland, Nathan Robinson...

Yup.

4 straight d-man selections in the first round between '93 and '96, and the best of the bunch was Anders Eriksson. Well, at least he got us Chelly

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Does anyone know if Sheahan has a PTO (or contract) yet?
I believe that he is still without PTO. Don’t think he is a Yzerman player, though. Yzerman likes smart players, and watching interviews after the draft makes it clear that he values IQ highly. Seider seems really smart and well spoken. My impression of Sheahan is that he might not be the someone you’d describe as clever. My guess is that Mr Teletubby is more likely an Oiler than a Wing

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meech got the playing time in 07/08 because he lost waiver exemption a year before Quincey did and was on the main roster that whole year. Quincey was the first Dman called up from GR when they needed one when Kronwall and Rafalski went down late in the season. Then they lost Lidstrom and Chelios and had to call up Ericsson and Stafford. Ericsson was older and seemed to have passed Quincey on the depth chart in GR and in the NHL. When Stuart came in and Kronwall got healthy, the team opted to keep up Ericsson and send Quincey and Stafford back down.

I do remember that in the 2008 offseason the Red Wings sent Quincey to Aaron Downey's farm to learn how to fight, to add some more edge to his game.

I often wondered if there was off ice/coaching/attitude issues with Quincey that dropped his stock a little. There was the whole Cup ring fiasco (although that might have been his agent?), the stuff that probably shouldn't have been said when he left the Avs, and then his last stop in the NHL where the Wild wanted him to play the right side but he refused and got waived and demoted but was sent home instead of reporting to the AHL team.

Hindsight's certainly 20/20, but it probably would've been better to pat Chelios on the back after that 2008 Cup and offer him a cushy front office job. With Stuart in the fold, Chelios was no longer in the top 6, and the team would've been better suited to give that #7/8D time to Meech/Quincey/Ericsson.

Then again, the loss of Quincey was kind of small potatoes. They had a deal lined up to send him to Dallas, but it fell through when he failed a physical. The other thing was that, like Meech, Quincey was going to have a hard time getting ice time for the foreseeable future. The Wings had their top 6 on D at the time (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lilja, and Lebda) locked up for the next 2 seasons, and Ericsson would be knocking on the door when he lost waiver exemption the next season. If you hypothetically drop Chelios from the 08-09 roster and replace him with Quincey, it's probably still Ericsson that gets a spot on the 3rd pairing when Lilja goes down, while Quincey and Meech stay at #7/8. Quincey probably wouldn't have had the impact he did playing on a lottery Kings D that outside of rookie Doughty would've been questionable at the AHL level... He would've had sheltered minutes when he wasn't in the press box, and could've ended up with the same trajectory as Meech, where he'd get jumped by Ericsson, then be an odd man out when the next guy with some perceived upside loses waiver exemption (Kindl).

The upside to keeping Quincey would've been that they either know that he wasn't worth the trade, or was still around as depth when they decided to move a 1st for him.

As for the D at F thing... Most times that a D gets dressed as a F, it's simply to take 5v5 shifts with the 4th line on wing where they'll be seeing a lot of D zone draws and expected to bring some energy and a physical game as opposed to offense. That's a much better role for a plug on D like Meech or Witkowski (and Babcock did it with Smith at least once, and I think the Rangers were doing that with him quite a bit this past season) than a random PMD.
Jeebus dude, is this all from memory or did you look this up? It all seems about right, and maybe Quincey's fate would have been the same as Meech's, but at least we'd have that 1st rounder. Doubtful that Kenny would have picked Vasilevskiy, Jankowski seems more his type (being tall and all). So in the end, I guess the team missed out on a 3rd line center, which in the long run wouldn't have made much difference. (This team would still suck.)

My whole point about PMD playing forward is so that the player isn't just a useless 4th line plug. In fact, right now I would bet that Bowey would look better on the 3rd line than Helm, Abby, LGD, Ehn, or DLR. At least he knows how to cycle the puck and take a slapper from the circle.

If your talking about 4th line defensive role, I'm sure any defenseman could do that. That's why I don't get the label "can play both F & D", when in reality any defenseman can do it.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Jeebus dude, is this all from memory or did you look this up? It all seems about right, and maybe Quincey's fate would have been the same as Meech's, but at least we'd have that 1st rounder.

I was a bored community college student slash part time department store employee back then, and spent most of my free time from September to May playing EHM07 and battling on Red Wings and NHL related forums. :dunno::dunno:

I did have to look up some game logs to remember who was hurt though...

I also just did some digging on the whole "D who can F" (lol) thing. It seemed like that was a lesser factor in the Meech over Quincey battle:

Source: Red Wings looking to trade Quincey - mlive.com
The club likes the 23-year-old Quincey's size (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) and the physical element he brings, but believes Derek Meech, a better skater and puck-handler, has a bigger upside.

Meech, who also can play forward in a pinch, has outplayed Quincey in training camp and the preseason. The Red Wings likely are seeking a mid- to late-round draft pick for Quincey, who can't be assigned to Grand Rapids (AHL) without clearing waivers.

Seems more like something Khan threw in to the discussion, while the decision hinged on how they played in the pre-season.

This one makes it kind of sting tho...:

Kings claim defenseman Quincey off waivers - mlive.com
The Wings placed Quincey on waivers Saturday because they needed some salary cap space in case they needed to recall a goaltender from Grand Rapids in the event of a short-term injury or illness to one of their goalies.

I didn't remember the Wings having such a cap bind going into 08-09. I'm going to assume the cap exemption for emergency recalls wasn't in the 05-12 CBA as it is now.

Given that Meech had more "offensive" upside, I'd almost wonder if he would've had a similar break out with the Kings and then we'd be here lamenting how Holland chose Quincey over Meech :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was a bored community college student slash part time department store employee back then, and spent most of my free time from September to May playing EHM07 and battling on Red Wings and NHL related forums. :dunno::dunno:

I did have to look up some game logs to remember who was hurt though...

I also just did some digging on the whole "D who can F" (lol) thing. It seemed like that was a lesser factor in the Meech over Quincey battle:

Source: Red Wings looking to trade Quincey - mlive.com

Seems more like something Khan threw in to the discussion, while the decision hinged on how they played in the pre-season.

This one makes it kind of sting tho...:

Kings claim defenseman Quincey off waivers - mlive.com

I didn't remember the Wings having such a cap bind going into 08-09. I'm going to assume the cap exemption for emergency recalls wasn't in the 05-12 CBA as it is now.

Given that Meech had more "offensive" upside, I'd almost wonder if he would've had a similar break out with the Kings and then we'd be here lamenting how Holland chose Quincey over Meech :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Lol, maybe you should have spend more effort in school than on the forums, you seem like a bright enough guy.

Yeah, you might be right, knowing Holland he probably would have given up a first to get Meech back, then I'd really be pissed right now.

I'm getting kinda old, don't remember all the details anymore. Thanks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yan Golubovsky?

iirc he played top pairing with Lidstrom & was fairly effective in 02-03 as a stay-at-home Dman, but bolted back to Russia. We got value for an 8th round pick. I can't remember if it was a contract dispute or did he want more TOI, I wanna say contract dispute. Does anyone remember?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad