Former prospects - Where are they now?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
RWC was such a great site.

Yep.
Probably the guy I was most excited for was Lofberg.

From RWC
"Speed and hands are his best assets. For a big guy, he has very good wheels and hands. He can beat guys 1-on-1 really, really well. He will take a hit to get to the net, but he's not a guy who comes up with big hits himself." -- Red Wings director of European scouting Hakan Andersson (2005-08-01) ...
Fast ... great overall skating ability, especially for his size ... has nice moves, a long reach, and can dance around defenders ... a good goal-scorer with soft hands and a good shot ... vision and playmaking ability are both above-average ... willing to take a hit to go to the net ...
Despite producing better numbers than almost anyone in his age group in Sweden, Lofberg was off the radar of most scouting services. The Red Wings hope they've landed a gem. Lofberg is big with great wheels and a natural scoring touch. He has a shot at playing in the Swedish Elite League in 2005-06, and is a potential impact player if everything goes right.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
iirc he played top pairing with Lidstrom & was fairly effective in 02-03 as a stay-at-home Dman, but bolted back to Russia. We got value for an 8th round pick. I can't remember if it was a contract dispute or did he want more TOI, I wanna say contract dispute. Does anyone remember?
You must be thinking of Maxim Kuznetsov, right? Dealt to LAK for Schneider

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
iirc he played top pairing with Lidstrom & was fairly effective in 02-03 as a stay-at-home Dman, but bolted back to Russia. We got value for an 8th round pick. I can't remember if it was a contract dispute or did he want more TOI, I wanna say contract dispute. Does anyone remember?

IIRC, it was over money. He got some lofty tax free offer from a Russian team and the Red Wings weren't going to come close to matching.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Golubovsky got some minutes, too. He was eventually dealt to Florida to bring Larionov back into the fold.

Golubovsky was a weird case. They'd keep him on the team to start the season, but he'd sit as a healthy scratch while Bowman opted to try to convert Dandenault into a dman. I think it was in 98-99 where some injuries piled and Aaron Ward and Golubovsky formed a somewhat competent 3rd pairing until some guys got healthy.

Reactions: ChelisChiliBar

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I thought at one point Tom McCollum was going to be a beast...but then the WJHC-U20 happened and he lost every ounce of confidence.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Not really prospects but I have a list for another forum about Red Wings in general. Kinda been sitting on it for couple months too lazy to update.

List of Red Wing Alumni which are still playing (incomplete)
PlayerTeamLeague
Mitch CallahanAugsburger PanthersDEL
Jakub KindlKölner HaieDEL
Kris NewburyJacksonville IcemenECHL
Pavel DatsyukYekaterinburg AvtomobilistKHL
Adam AlmquistAdmiral VladivostokKHL
Alexei MarchenkoCSKA MoscowKHL
Petr MrazekCarolina HurricanesNHL
Luke WitkowskiTampa Bay LightningNHL
Gustav NyquistColumbus Blue JacketsNHL
Tomas NosekVegas Golden KnightsNHL
Brendan SmithNew York RangersNHL
Xavier OuelletMontreal CanadiennesNHL
Tomas TatarMontreal CanadiennesNHL
Patrick EavesAnaheim DucksNHL
Nick JensenWashington CapitalsNHL
Ben StreetNew Jersey/Binghamton DevilsNHL/AHL
Martin FrkLA Kings/Ontario ReignNHL/AHL
Tomas JurcoEdmonton Oilers/Bakersfield CondorsNHL/AHL
Jared CoreauNew York Islanders/Bridgeport Sound TigersNHL/AHL
Daniel RenoufColorado Avalanche/EaglesNHL/AHL
Scott WilsonBuffalo Sabres/Rochester AmericansNHL/AHL
Damien BrunnerEHC BielNL
Jan MursakSC BernNL
Cory EmmertonLuasanne HCNL
Joakim AnderssonHV71SHL
Landon Ferraro
Ryan Sproul
Tom McCollum
Eric TangradiBarys Nur-SultanKHL
Riley Sheahan
Mattias RitolaLeksands IFSHL
Kyle Quincey
Andrej Nestrasil
David Booth
Teemu PulkkinenLuasanne HCNL
Libor SulakSeverstal CherepovetsKHL
Thomas Vanek
Jake CheliosKunlun Red StarKHL
Matt LoritoNew York Islanders/Bridgeport Sound TigersNHL/AHL
Robbie RussoArizona Coyotes/Tuscan RoadrunnersAHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jonas GustavssonLinkopings HCSHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Konnan thank you for updates on Tangradi/Pulkkinen/Ritola

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimm

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Landon Ferraro Iowa WildAHL
Ryan Sproul Hersey BearsAHL
Tom McCollum Hartford Wolf PackAHL
Eric Tangradi Barys Nur-Sultan KHL
Riley Sheahan Florida PanthersNHL
Mattias Ritola Leksands IF SHL
Kyle Quincey HIFKLiiga
Andrej Nestrasil Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk KHL
David Booth Dinamo Minsk KHL
Teemu Pulkkinen Lausanne HC - NLA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Grimm and Mlotek

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Landon Ferraro Iowa WildAHL
Ryan Sproul Hersey BearsAHL
Tom McCollum Hartford Wolf PackAHL
Eric Tangradi Barys Nur-Sultan KHL
Riley Sheahan Florida PanthersNHL
Mattias Ritola Leksands IF SHL
Kyle Quincey HIFKLiiga
Andrej Nestrasil Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk KHL
David Booth Dinamo Minsk KHL
Teemu Pulkkinen Lausanne HC - NLA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thanks.

I'll update Tangradi/Ritola/Pullkkinen on the spreadsheet.

Do we know if the others have contracts for 2019-20?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
These lists are a very sad reminder of how little hay we made with our first round/first picks. I appreciate that late first-round picks don't usually yield that much, but we really don't have much to show for our early drafting, especially if Svech gets added to the list.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I believe that he is still without PTO. Don’t think he is a Yzerman player, though. Yzerman likes smart players, and watching interviews after the draft makes it clear that he values IQ highly. Seider seems really smart and well spoken. My impression of Sheahan is that he might not be the someone you’d describe as clever. My guess is that Mr Teletubby is more likely an Oiler than a Wing

I do not want him back, but I don't think he is a low IQ player. He is just super conservative and not overly quick.

Reactions: Frk It

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
These lists are a very sad reminder of how little hay we made with our first round/first picks. I appreciate that late first-round picks don't usually yield that much, but we really don't have much to show for our early drafting, especially if Svech gets added to the list.
Late 1st round picks are a bit of a crapshoot, but the team can't miss on ALL of them like the Wings, that's part of the reason why the team sucks right now and the "rebuild on the fly" didn't work.

Look at the Caps: Green, Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, and Kuznetsov were all late firsts. They had some busts as well with Joe Finley and Anton Gustafsson but at least they hit on more than half their first rounders including a lot of late picks.

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
Late 1st round picks are a bit of a crapshoot, but the team can't miss on ALL of them like the Wings, that's part of the reason why the team sucks right now and the "rebuild on the fly" didn't work.

Look at the Caps: Green, Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, and Kuznetsov were all late firsts. They had some busts as well with Joe Finley and Anton Gustafsson but at least they hit on more than half their first rounders including a lot of late picks.

Very true. But picks like Mantha and Larkin sure have worked out. I know they were not exactly ‘late’ first round picks. If Veleno turns out to be a hit, all is forgiven in my opinion.

I too miss RWC. They had me so hyped on Ryno and Axel Holmstrom.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Very true. But picks like Mantha and Larkin sure have worked out. I know they were not exactly ‘late’ first round picks. If Veleno turns out to be a hit, all is forgiven in my opinion.

I too miss RWC. They had me so hyped on Ryno and Axel Holmstrom.
The picks haven't been as bad in the Tyler Wright era (signed right after 2013 draft) but 2015 appears to be a complete bust and 2017 looks weak as well. All water under the bridge anyways with Stevie's scouting dept overhaul.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I remember when Russia won the world juniors back in 2003 and Grigorenko was one of the best players in the tournament (I remember there were comparisons to Mogilny), he was 19 at the time and the sky was the limit. That accident was such a shame, and this was a time where we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg coming up, and we were excited that Grigorenko was the next gem in line.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I remember when Russia won the world juniors back in 2003 and Grigorenko was one of the best players in the tournament (I remember there were comparisons to Mogilny), he was 19 at the time and the sky was the limit. That accident was such a shame, and this was a time where we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg coming up, and we were excited that Grigorenko was the next gem in line.

If Grigorenko never gets in the accident... The Wings probably don't sign Hossa. Or if they do, it's with the clear understanding that it's one year and fly. Grigorenko getting hurt caused the Hossa-Franzen debates.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Realising that due to my RWC etc addiction back in the day, I remember every single player mentioned in this thread in far too much detail (bar Willlie Coetzee who I had completely forgotten about).

I still remember being excited about Calle Steen and Jari Tolsa, both who seemed better prospects than Zetterberg and Datsyuk for a while. Was always disappointed we never got the little ball of hate that was Andreas Jamtin over for a look. Guy was a PIM machine!

Losing a Grigorenko who could skate and Jiri Fischer were massive blows for this organisation though. And rather lower down the scale, Axel Holmstrom's knee injuries massively reducing his effectiveness and of course poor Bryan Rufenach getting electrocuted by that train in Switzerland

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Realising that due to my RWC etc addiction back in the day, I remember every single player mentioned in this thread in far too much detail (bar Willlie Coetzee who I had completely forgotten about).

I still remember being excited about Calle Steen and Jari Tolsa, both who seemed better prospects than Zetterberg and Datsyuk for a while. Was always disappointed we never got the little ball of hate that was Andreas Jamtin over for a look. Guy was a PIM machine!

Losing a Grigorenko who could skate and Jiri Fischer were massive blows for this organisation though. And rather lower down the scale, Axel Holmstrom's knee injuries massively reducing his effectiveness and of course poor Bryan Rufenach getting electrocuted by that train in Switzerland
Are we the most cursed franchise in terms of career ending/severely altering injuries & freak accidents to prospects & players?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Are we the most cursed franchise in terms of career ending/severely altering injuries & freak accidents to prospects & players?

I don't know but Slava Kozlov also had a car accident as a young player, which did affect on his development. Fedorov crashed his Ferrari. Grigorenko had that accident. Konstantinov had accident. Fetisov lost his younger brother on car accident he was within at 1985 and he almost had to re-live that when he was on that same limousine with Konstantinov.

It's.... just crazy how it goes.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't know but Slava Kozlov also had a car accident as a young player, which did affect on his development. Fedorov crashed his Ferrari. Grigorenko had that accident. Konstantinov had accident. Fetisov lost his brother on car accident at 1985 and was on that same limousine with Konstantinov.

Yeah, I remember all those. Modano, Krupp, Hatcher, Weiss etc... though some were on ice incidents. Even SY took a puck to the eye in '04 playoffs vs. Calgary iirc. Another year Paul Coffey's shot injured SY, when he was with PHI. Lidstrom's 2 neighbors "downstairs" in '09.

Krupp's (Iditarod injury) & later on Hatcher's injury really may have cost us another cup. Luckily we weren't in the cap ear at the time.

Last edited:

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If Grigorenko never gets in the accident... The Wings probably don't sign Hossa. Or if they do, it's with the clear understanding that it's one year and fly. Grigorenko getting hurt caused the Hossa-Franzen debates.

What does Hossa have to do with anything? Grigorenko got in that accident in 2004, Hossa was signed in 2009, and Franzen was drafted to be a bottom-6 guy.

If you're saying that we don't sign Hossa because Grigorenko develops into a top-line player, so what?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know but Slava Kozlov also had a car accident as a young player, which did affect on his development. Fedorov crashed his Ferrari. Grigorenko had that accident. Konstantinov had accident. Fetisov lost his younger brother on car accident he was within at 1985 and he almost had to re-live that when he was on that same limousine with Konstantinov.

Seems like Russians suck at driving and have bad luck with limos.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Krupp's (Iditarod injury)

Krupp didn't get hurt in the Iditarod. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

He competed in low speed short distance races that include the elderly and disabled vets... And he wasn't injured dogsledding. He apparently re-aggravated a spine injury suffered during a fight with Jamie Pushor during the infamous brawl game in March 1997. When Doctors told him he needed a spinal fusion that would end his career, the Red Wings looked for a way to void his contract since they allegedly chose not to insure it.... They used competing in dogsledding as a way to void it. Krupp getting injured dogsledding was HSJ Koolaid to make the organization look competent in the whole thing.

Anybody still regurgitating the propaganda over Krupp from the Red Wings front office should read this: MITCH ALBOM ON: KRUPP V. WINGS: 'I WANT MY REPUTATION BACK'DOG-EAT-DOG LEGAL BATTLE RAGES ON OVER $12.3 MILLION » Mitch Albom

And IMO, Krupp's injury didn't cost them another Cup. Holland pissing away the teams depth on D so he could sign Krupp probably had more to do with that, but the injury also opened the door to acquire Chelios.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad