Former prospects - Where are they now?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Jurco was hyped for being a crafty, skilled forward and then proceeded to play like a grinder in the NHL. It never made any sense to me; I was happy to see him go.

Same with Joakim Andersson. How that guy got a roster spot 5 seasons in the NHL (when Detroit had a decent squad too) is beyond me.

Both guys got pigeon-holed into roles that didn't suit them.
Jurco playing way too much with Drew Miller.

You might remember Andersson centering the Nyquist-Brunner line when the Red Wings last experienced an ounce of playoff success.
But, in the end, Andersson was too slow to be the guy many wanted him to be.

Reactions: Kronwalled55

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Jurco was hyped for being a crafty, skilled forward and then proceeded to play like a grinder in the NHL. It never made any sense to me; I was happy to see him go.

Same with Joakim Andersson. How that guy got a roster spot 5 seasons in the NHL (when Detroit had a decent squad too) is beyond me.
That was coaching decision for Jurco.

Jurco was best for GR when he was put as screen on the PP. Excellent hand-eye to deflect pucks, and those quick hands helped getting those rebounds. Helps he is 6'2 to boot.

Don't recall him being used there in Detroit.

For the AHL he's got a nice wrister as well.

Hope he makes Edmonton and bags a great season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Jurco was best for GR when he was put as screen on the PP. Excellent hand-eye to deflect pucks, and those quick hands helped getting those rebounds. Helps he is 6'2 to boot.

Babcock's decision to put Abby on Z's line and Helm on Datsyuk's line while Jurco rotted on Miller's line was the "final f*** you" to Detroit.
f***ed over a prospect. f***ed over the Red Wings' salary structure.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not sure if he has been mentioned, since I have only skimmed the previous posts, but 2010 3rd round pick Louis-Marc Aubry is doing pretty well for Berlin in the DEL, although his start into this season has been a bit unlucky.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Brooks Macek was leading the KHL in scoring last I checked.
#5 looks familiar as well.
upload_2019-9-27_0-1-27.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Jurco with 2 goals tonight

Reactions: Realgud

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
I remember Tatar-Sheehan-Jurco being really effective together. Can’t recall why they got split up

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
#5 looks familiar as well.
View attachment 257907

Macek had a really nice season for the Chicago Wolves (AHL) last year, too. 60 points in 64 games down there is pretty darn solid. He probably couldn't turn down the money in the KHL, but I think a season like that should have gotten at least a look in someone's camp.

Also, have to wonder if Pulkkinen has worked on his skating over there.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Jurco looked great last night. He was playing with McDavid, which helps, but he looked really good. He's going to make the Oilers, and I hope he can have a solid year and become an NHL regular. I've always liked him, and still believe we rushed him into the league.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Jurco hurt his back and has had a hard time getting over it. Also, frankly, the league has continued to move away from physical play a bit which probably plays to his strengths at this point.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jurco looked great last night. He was playing with McDavid, which helps, but he looked really good. He's going to make the Oilers, and I hope he can have a solid year and become an NHL regular. I've always liked him, and still believe we rushed him into the league.

Will be fun if Holland signs Jurco and Sheahan and puts them to shine with McDavid. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWingzz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Will be fun if Holland signs Jurco and Sheahan and puts then to shine with McDavid. :D

I wouldn't be shocked if Jurco does play on McDavid's wing at some point this year. The Oilers are lacking in creative scoring wingers, and Jurco could fill this role nicely. It doesn't always work out, Ty Rattie had a few chances last year with McDavid and couldn't stick, but I think Jurco could work well with him.

Also, Jurco looked really good on the PP yesterday, so I wouldn't be shocked if he is getting PP time right away.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I wouldn't be shocked if Jurco does play on McDavid's wing at some point this year. The Oilers are lacking in creative scoring wingers, and Jurco could fill this role nicely. It doesn't always work out, Ty Rattie had a few chances last year with McDavid and couldn't stick, but I think Jurco could work well with him.

Also, Jurco looked really good on the PP yesterday, so I wouldn't be shocked if he is getting PP time right away.
Ty Rattie is doing, okay, in the KHL. 5 points in 8 games playing 20 minutes a night. Still a small sample size.

Perhaps new coach will reduce his minutes now that Craig 'The Killer' MacT is gone.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Macek had a really nice season for the Chicago Wolves (AHL) last year, too. 60 points in 64 games down there is pretty darn solid. He probably couldn't turn down the money in the KHL, but I think a season like that should have gotten at least a look in someone's camp.

Also, have to wonder if Pulkkinen has worked on his skating over there.
Macek was signed to Vegas in 2018-19. His performance in the playoffs wasn't statistically great. 6 points in 17 games.

Remember Ilari Filppula? He spent 1 season in North America playing for Grand Rapids recording 64 points in 76 games. Never got to play with Valterri in Detroit.

There are many AHL stars who never get a real sniff at the NHL. Competition for spots is hard, perhaps they got a flaw in their game, or just not what the team is looking to call up.

Pulkkinen typically always gets off to a hot start. Last season he was a point per game early in the KHL season before his team remembered that they suck. He ended up with 29 points in 50 games to lead Minsk in scoring. In Chicago (AHL via Vegas) he was more than a point per game to start the season. Ended up with a very good 65 points in 75 games.

Reactions: Winger98

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I remember finding it very odd that the Ken Holland run Red Wings quickly declared Jurco a regular after his first pro season split 50-50 between the NHL and AHL. I mean yea, his AHL numbers and play in the NHL made a case, but we were 1 year removed from starting a season with an NHL ready Nyquist going to GR simply because he was still waiver exempt until he played 2 more NHL games.

Similar to Nyquist, Jurco was a player that Babcock vocally campaigned to have on the NHL roster to start the season. I've often wondered if Jurco and Glendening making the regular roster to start 14-15 despite being waiver exempt was a way to appease Babcock so he'd stick around past that last season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There was nothing wrong when Jurco was promoted. He looked promising. But his back injury stalled the development.

Now he could be getting back in shape. Bad injuries can nag you years, until you get 100% over the rehab.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad