Former NHL'er Andre Deveaux assaults player during warmups in Sweden

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
http://www.expressen.se/kvp/sport/deveaux-anhallen-av-polis--i-sin-franvaro/

The prosecutor has charged Deveaux in his absence. If I understand it correctley it´s common practice when it´s a case against a foreign citizen, as the risk off them leaving the country before they can be correctley prosecuted. It ain´t as dramatic as it may sound. One ain´t taken off to jail because you are a foreign citizen, but are expected to drop off there passports until the mather is solved.

And no one really knows where Deveaux is, so it´s a sure bet he´s done just that. 5-6 years ago Ryan McLeod, then having a really great season for Olofström in the swedish third leauge, also choosed to flee after a crash while driving drunk. The night before the police where to take his passport the GM of Olofström said McLeod was eager to take responsibility for his actions. The next morning his appartment was empty. Rumoured to have been driven to Copenhagen Airport Kastrup by someone from the club.

Deveaux will now have to report to a police office. If not done soon he will be searched for and after that, of not found, he will be arrested in his absence and internationally wanted. McLeod never went to court in Sweden because then Canada and Sweden didn´t have an extradition treaty. Don´t know if that´s the case still.

"If he´s to be charged for assault or aggravated assault is an later issue", says prosecutor Margareta Danielsson-Olvon.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
http://www.expressen.se/kvp/sport/deveaux-anhallen-av-polis--i-sin-franvaro/

The prosecutor has charged Deveaux in his absence. If I understand it correctley it´s common practice when it´s a case against a foreign citizen, as the risk off them leaving the country before they can be correctley prosecuted. It ain´t as dramatic as it may sound. One ain´t taken off to jail because you are a foreign citizen, but are expected to drop off there passports until the mather is solved.

And no one really knows where Deveaux is, so it´s a sure bet he´s done just that. 5-6 years ago Ryan McLeod, then having a really great season for Olofström in the swedish third leauge, also choosed to flee after a crash while driving drunk. The night before the police where to take his passport the GM of Olofström said McLeod was eager to take responsibility for his actions. The next morning his appartment was empty. Rumoured to have been driven to Copenhagen Airport Kastrup by someone from the club.

Deveaux will now have to report to a police office. If not done soon he will be searched for and after that, of not found, he will be arrested in his absence and internationally wanted. McLeod never went to court in Sweden because then Canada and Sweden didn´t have an extradition treaty. Don´t know if that´s the case still.

"If he´s to be charged for assault or aggravated assault is an later issue", says prosecutor Margareta Danielsson-Olvon.

Red it in the local paper! Gj Margareta :handclap:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I can't tell if it hit him in the skate or the leg at first, I think that should make a difference in a criminal case.

Mad Brills*

I can't tell if it hit him in the skate or the leg at first, I think that should make a difference in a criminal case.

The two hander to the head is worse, that could've knocked the other player out easily. Clear this was a predmeditated hit.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
People that defend this action, where do you draw the line? Can you attack the guy while he walks to the locker room? In the tunnel before the game? Clearly, this was an assault OUTSIDE of the game.

If he reports and is found guilty, I would be surprised if he serves any lengthy time in prison.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
People that defend this action, where do you draw the line? Can you attack the guy while he walks to the locker room? In the tunnel before the game? Clearly, this was an assault OUTSIDE of the game.

If he reports and is found guilty, I would be surprised if he serves any lengthy time in prison.

Prison? No wont happen. A nice fine and his name in the criminal record though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, I am a fan of tough, old time hockey. I have a hard time believing anyone could actually defend that play. Idiotic play. No place in the sport at all.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
He's a pos. He doesnt think he should have any punishment for this and thinks he was justified in doing so.

**** him and the people that justify this. Also, good on them for pressing charges and issuing a warrant for his arrest.

Also, real crime? Yea, this is assault, that is a real crime.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Supposedly it was revenge for a hit in the last game.

Deveaux had the following to say:

"It was messy during the warmup. Some words were thrown back and forth. Than that happens. No one got hurt so it wasn't a big deal"

When asked if he regrets doing it:

"No. He played. He was fine. I'll think of him while I celebrate with the team" (Rögle got promoted to SHL).

It's nice to know at the end of the day, both players can shake hands and continue on with the game and their lives, not being bitter. They both should be honorary good ole Canadian boys for the year. I remember back in the day a Bruin player hit a black player on the head with his stick (I think it was a racial act?) Well the black player never forgave him, and the Bruin player didn't apologize anyways. That's a situation where 2 egos prevented them from being at peace with each other.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
It's nice to know at the end of the day, both players can shake hands and continue on with the game and their lives, not being bitter. They both should be honorary good ole Canadian boys for the year. I remember back in the day a Bruin player hit a black player on the head with his stick (I think it was a racial act?) Well the black player never forgave him, and the Bruin player didn't apologize anyways. That's a situation where 2 egos prevented them from being at peace with each other.

I'm not sure if I'm missing sarcasm (if so, ignore this entire post), but he didn't apologize at all. "I'll think of him when I celebrate with the team" is 100% ********* comment.

68*

Is he gonna flee the country like he fled when the real NHL heavyweights wanted to pound his face?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Clearly a criminal act and I'm glad the prosecutor feels the same way.

BTW that's not a stupid play. Stupid it is but not a play. It's a ****ing crime.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009

Why? This isn't the NHL Department of Player Safety.

Intent is clear. Premeditation is obvious. He should get the book thrown at him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad