Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Stecher still practicing with other Canucks players in Canucks gear :(:(:(

ZGvF32pNvc0RXwiTtoH3t2I-s_41ZQybevTFS47kp80.jpg

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Speaking of former Canucks, Watched the replay of the 2006 WJC game between Canada and the US. Damn, did Luc Bourdon log a lot of minutes.

I still think if he had been around for the 2011 SCF, we would have beat the bruins. Letang said he would have won a norris.
I don’t like speaking ill of those unfortunately passed, way too early, but I remember Bourdon as a very toolsy player who looked pretty lost toolbox wise.

Players improve, of course, but I just kinda think it would have been a pretty unfair progression to ask of him to go from where he was to being the difference Vs Boston.

Reactions: m9 and Peen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Former scout Dan Palango joins Bracket's staff in Minnesota.

Not surprised. Palango's firing reportedly did not sit well with Brackett as Palango was a guy Brackett trusted. I remember Palango being talked up as a good scout but history has shown that our OHL scouting is not exactly good. Then again, our own Tyler Graovac has played the most NHL games of any Wild draft picks out of the OHL since Clutterbuck so the Wild probably got better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t like speaking ill of those unfortunately passed, way too early, but I remember Bourdon as a very toolsy player who looked pretty lost toolbox wise.

Players improve, of course, but I just kinda think it would have been a pretty unfair progression to ask of him to go from where he was to being the difference Vs Boston.
Bourdon in 2011 would have been a professional for 4 years. 24 years old.

Team would not have had to get Ballard if Bourdon was still around. Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff, Edler, Rome, in addition to Bourdon. So if they still go and sign Hamhuis they have their D core. Hard to know what Bourdon’s contract would be. Bridge or long term depending on his elc performance.

no guarantee they beat Boston but likely better than what Ballard gave them.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

He struggled heavily after that ?high ankle sprain?.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Del Zotto got a PTO with Columbus. Wonder if he's out of the league this season. He's not a good defenceman, but surely he's better than Gudbranson.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Well hard to say isn't it . He was 21 when he died, and no he was not bobby orr, Letang said he was the better hockey player. He would have been 24 that year, about the time when D men start to show you what they are. 6'3" 210 lbs, certainly one of the problems against boston was they were more physical. I think most people will agree part of problem was that we got beat up by boston. And the reffing. We went to game 7. Add in a larger skilled big d man and yes, I think it could have tipped the scales.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well hard to say isn't it . He was 21 when he died, and no he was not bobby orr, Letang said he was the better hockey player. He would have been 24 that year, about the time when D men start to show you what they are. 6'3" 210 lbs, certainly one of the problems against boston was they were more physical. I think most people will agree part of problem was that we got beat up by boston. And the reffing. We went to game 7. Add in a larger skilled big d man and yes, I think it could have tipped the scales.
We simply couldn't score goals. While his "physicality" would've helped in our own end, his mobility issue would've limited his ability at the other end of the rink imho. I don't see AV using him that much given that potential liability.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Bourdon in 2011 would have been a professional for 4 years. 24 years old.

Team would not have had to get Ballard if Bourdon was still around. Bieksa, Salo, Erhoff, Edler, Rome, in addition to Bourdon. So if they still go and sign Hamhuis they have their D core. Hard to know what Bourdon’s contract would be. Bridge or long term depending on his elc performance.

no guarantee they beat Boston but likely better than what Ballard gave them.
Ballards tenure is an incredibly low bar to clear. Maybe Rome isn’t playing when he woulda gotten suspended, and is available later in the series to cover whichever other injury happened to whoever? I just don’t see how that series is different much regardless.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i guess the other wrinkle for 2011 is if it’s bourdon and not ballard, luc is probably on a bridge deal. so that’s another $1.5 to 2 million that gillis has at the deadline.

we could have added another player or two on top of higgins and lappy and maybe had a real fourth line. everybody in the top nine plays less, is less injured in the finals.

or... dare to dream, if we didn’t pick up higgy and max we could have had enough cap space to trade cody for jeff carter?

Reactions: mathonwy

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
that is a huge what if

sob

otoh i feel like skillset/toolbox-wise, he projected to be quite similar to balllard. so how would he have developed under av/bones?

Huge "what if". I always believed losing Hamhuis in game 1 was the major factor in losing the series. Could Bourdon fill in more adequately instead of Alberts? Hard to say.

If Bourdon developed really well from 2008-2011, was there a need to get Ehrhoff?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Huge "what if". I always believed losing Hamhuis in game 1 was the major factor in losing the series. Could Bourdon fill in more adequately instead of Alberts? Hard to say.

If Bourdon developed really well from 2008-2011, was there a need to get Ehrhoff?
I'd say yes, given the price to obtain the Hoff was quite low. Bourdon spent his 1st year as a pro up and down a bit between the A and N. So, if the chance was there to add someone like the Hoff, you take it.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'd say yes, given the price to obtain the Hoff was quite low. Bourdon spent his 1st year as a pro up and down a bit between the A and N. So, if the chance was there to add someone like the Hoff, you take it.

Well, my point is that Bourdon's development is an unknown. He could have been in the top 2, or the 7th defenseman. It's like people slotting in Juolevi when he's played 1 NHL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce