Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Baertschi had 12 points in his last 31 games that year before suffering a season-ending injury, and had been a healthy scratch only a few games before that injury.

The guy had zero leverage. He was an incredibly fringe top-6 player who needed us and our situation to stay in the NHL a lot more than we needed him. He was a guy who should have been looking at $2 million on a 1-year deal, take it or leave it. His agent probably couldn't believe his luck when we offered money + term.

Obviously management is stupid with player evaluations and contracts at the best of times, but this was at a point where literally NOTHING they'd done from a pro scouting perspective had turned out, and Baertschi was the closest thing to a small glimmer of hope, and he was signed to a contract befitting the 'hit' they so desperately wanted him to be.

It's always seemed to me that this management has been guilty of magical thinking: turn a player into what you want him to be by signing him to the corresponding contract.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's always seemed to me that this management has been guilty of magical thinking: turn a player into what you want him to be by signing him to the corresponding contract.
Cookie cutter, white board filler.

Cookie cut the player into the white board line up then poof....european skill winger fits perfect with Canadian 2C. It's just the way he thinks. Very narrowly.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Nobody here has ever criticized Micheal Ferland for taking the stupid contract that was offered to him.

You are right it's Eriksson that everybody here hates for taking HIS contract and for many the hatred is deeply personal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You are right it's Eriksson that everybody here hates for taking HIS contract and for many the hatred is deeply personal.

Well, duh. If you get $6 million and are lazy as hell on the ice and media reports indicate your the last person to arrive at practices and the first person to leave ... people aren't going to like you very much.

People hate the Beagle contract but don't take personal shots at him because people can see that at least he's working hard, even if he isn't very good.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just was curious: was Toffoli always a threat to go the other way with offense when killing penalties with you guys last year?

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That Toffoli guy is pretty good. Too bad we couldn't retain him. Oh wait, we could have.

EsOwcI7VgAc1qYs

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't think I've ever seen a former Canuck come back to haunt this team this much and this quickly to boot.

Edit: he's leading the league in goals, with most of them against us. Just too funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't think I've ever seen a former Canuck come back to haunt this team this much and this quickly to boot.

Edit: he's leading the league in goals, with most of them against us. Just too funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I think 8/9 of his goals against us. Which means he is struggling when not playing against us which means if we signed him he wouldnt be playing against us which means he would have 0-1 goals which means hed suck which means Benning IS a fantastic GM

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Toffoli wins the Rocket Richard trophy should there be an asterisk?
It's a hard year to judge players and their production given the schedule and playing the same teams over and over again.

If Vancouver/Montreal were in the same division, then awesome that TT is that productive. But, MTL will be back to Toronto/Ottawa next season assuming life returns to some type of normalcy.

I'd same the same for Brock if he continues to light up Matt Murray for a chunk of his goals.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Where he will select Toffoli as he will probably victimize Hughes, Miller, Boeser and Demko.

My first thought was that Demko wouldn't get picked or see any action. But then I looked at US' active goalie lists and you take away Miller and Quick, the most accomplished active US goalie is Gibson and Hellebuyck. 3rd spot is probably down to Demko and Oettinger. Still don't think Demko would see any action though absent injuries.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think 8/9 of his goals against us. Which means he is struggling when not playing against us which means if we signed him he wouldnt be playing against us which means he would have 0-1 goals which means hed suck which means Benning IS a fantastic GM

PoM could learn a thing or two from you.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Old Jimbo is playing 4D chess here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad