Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Apropos of nothing, I noticed today that 13 players from the 1993 draft played for the Canucks. I have no idea if this is a lot but it stood out to me.

Weirdly, only two were drafted by the Canucks.
Todd Bertuzzi - NYI
Bryan McCabe - NYI
Brendan Morrison - NJ
Pavol Demitra - Ott
Scott Walker - Van
Marek Malik - Har
Denis Pederson - NJ
Mats Lindgren - Win
Manny Legace - Har
Kevin Weekes - Fla
Rory Fitzpatrick - Mtl
Bert Robertsson - Van
Steve Washburn - Fla
Tyler Moss - TB

Reactions: lindgren

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Apropos of nothing, I noticed today that 13 players from the 1993 draft played for the Canucks. I have no idea if this is a lot but it stood out to me.

Todd Bertuzzi - NYI
Bryan McCabe - NYI
Brendan Morrison - NJ
Pavol Demitra - Ott
Scott Walker - Van
Marek Malik - Har
Denis Pederson - NJ
Mats Lindgren - Win
Manny Legace - Har
Kevin Weekes - Fla
Rory Fitzpatrick - Mtl
Bert Robertsson - Van
Steve Washburn - Fla
Tyler Moss - TB

one of the really weird things is our connection with the defencemen of the loaded 2008 draft. five superstars and we got these guys instead

253NY IslandersTravis HamonicDMoose Jaw Warriors [WHL]642371531905952020-21
252New JerseyBrandon BurlonDSt. Michael's Buzzers [OPJHL]
250ColoradoCameron GaunceDMississauga St. Michael's Majors [OHL]37369472019-20
246FloridaColby RobakDBrandon Wheat Kings [WHL]47044252014-15
243AnaheimJustin SchultzDWestside Warriors [BCHL]490521682201102020-21
242OttawaPatrick WierciochDOmaha Lancers [USHL]2681658741382016-17
241VancouverYann SauveDSaint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]800002013-14
240NY IslandersAaron NessDRoseau H.S. (Minn.)71167222019-20
238NashvilleRoman JosiDBern SC [Swiss-A]6411103074172362020-21
237ColumbusCody GoloubefDU. of Wisconsin [WCHA]16032225762019-20
232Los AngelesVyacheslav VoynovDChelyabinsk Traktor [Russia]190186381722014-15
127WashingtonJohn CarlsonDIndiana Ice [USHL]7671093804892602020-21
123MinnesotaTyler CumaDOttawa 67's [OHL]100022011-12
120NY RangersMichael Del ZottoDOshawa Generals [OHL]668561842402722020-21
119PhiladelphiaLuca SbisaDLethbridge Hurricanes [WHL]54920931133852020-21
117AnaheimJake GardinerDMinnetonka H.S. (Minn.)626492232722152020-21
115OttawaErik KarlssonDFrolunda Jrs (Sweden)7441354716063562020-21
113Los AngelesColten TeubertDRegina Pats [WHL]24011252011-12
112BuffaloTyler MyersDKelowna Rockets [WHL]716812112925442020-21
15TorontoLuke SchennDKelowna Rockets [WHL]764311171485732020-21
14St. LouisAlex PietrangeloDNiagara IceDogs [OHL]7651103444542412020-21
13AtlantaZach BogosianDPeterborough Petes [OHL]654531431965752020-21
12Los AngelesDrew DoughtyDGuelph Storm [OHL]9281203895096392020-21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

plus philip larsen and bartkowski in the later rounds.

bonus points for justin schultz and jason demers also being in this draft. plus, gaunce's brother.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Todd Bertuzzi - NYI
Bryan McCabe - NYI
Brendan Morrison - NJ
Pavol Demitra - Ott
Scott Walker - Van
Marek Malik - Har
Denis Pederson - NJ
Mats Lindgren - Win
Manny Legace - Har
Kevin Weekes - Fla
Rory Fitzpatrick - Mtl
Bert Robertsson - Van
Steve Washburn - Fla
Tyler Moss - TB

also my memory is the '94 draft had a lot. let's see...

jovo
baumgartner
ohlund (our pick)
vadim sharifijanov
cloutier

ryan johnson
scatchard (our pick)
richard park

butenschon
strudwick

lukowich

and later, in the 9th round, hedberg, muckalt (our pick), and tyson nash (our pick) in the 10th

that was just me eyeballing the list, might have missed some guys. four hits, including ohlund; not a bad draft by quinn.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Todd Bertuzzi - NYI
Bryan McCabe - NYI
Brendan Morrison - NJ
Pavol Demitra - Ott
Scott Walker - Van
Marek Malik - Har
Denis Pederson - NJ
Mats Lindgren - Win
Manny Legace - Har
Kevin Weekes - Fla
Rory Fitzpatrick - Mtl
Bert Robertsson - Van
Steve Washburn - Fla
Tyler Moss - TB

Take a look at the first round of the 1999 draft: 28 players, 6 former Canucks.

Of course it would reason that one of the worst drafts ever would have so many former Canucks (including 4 of the top 10).

Reactions: Vector

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
We've had an almost absurd number of guys from the 2003 draft play for the Canucks too at some point:

Ryan Kesler
Nathan McIver
Zack Fitzgerald
Jeff Tambellini
Steve Bernier
Tanner Glass
Shane O'Brien
Max Lapierre
Alexander Sulzer
Brad Richardson
Alexandre Bolduc
Guillaume Desbiens
Byron Bitz
Loui Eriksson
Thomas Vanek

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Take a look at the first round of the 1999 draft: 28 players, 6 former Canucks.

Of course it would reason that one of the worst drafts ever would have so many former Canucks (including 4 of the top 10).

That one I noticed once Vrbata joined the team.

Sedin
Sedin
Vrbata
Pyatt
Miller
Auld
Beech
Santala
Fedorov
Grenier
Ouellet

also my memory is the '94 draft had a lot. let's see...

jovo
baumgartner
ohlund (our pick)
vadim sharifijanov
cloutier

ryan johnson
scatchard (our pick)
richard park

butenschon
strudwick

lukowich

and later, in the 9th round, hedberg, muckalt (our pick), and tyson nash (our pick) in the 10th

that was just me eyeballing the list, might have missed some guys. four hits, including ohlund; not a bad draft by quinn.

Another 14 guys. Nash never actually played for the Canucks.

Jovanovski
Baumgartner
Ohlund
Sharifijanov
Cloutier
Park
Johnson
Strudwick
Scatchard
Lukowich
Hedberg
Muckalt
Butenschoen
Gordon
We've had an almost absurd number of guys from the 2003 draft play for the Canucks too at some point:

Ryan Kesler
Nathan McIver
Zack Fitzgerald
Jeff Tambellini
Steve Bernier
Tanner Glass
Shane O'Brien
Max Lapierre
Alexander Sulzer
Brad Richardson
Alexandre Bolduc
Guillaume Desbiens
Byron Bitz
Loui Eriksson
Thomas Vanek

That's another good list.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ryan Kesler
Nathan McIver
Zack Fitzgerald
Jeff Tambellini
Steve Bernier
Tanner Glass
Shane O'Brien
Max Lapierre
Alexander Sulzer
Brad Richardson
Alexandre Bolduc
Guillaume Desbiens
Byron Bitz
Loui Eriksson
Thomas Vanek

Early on that draft was considered one of the best drafts ever and it seemed like some teams thought that the more 2003 draftees the greater your chance of winning a Cup. 11? of the players drafted in the first round went on to win the Stanley Cup. 4? more went to the Cup Finals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Early on that draft was considered one of the best drafts ever and it seemed like some teams thought that the more 2003 draftees the greater your chance of winning a Cup. 11? of the players drafted in the first round went on to win the Stanley Cup. 4? more went to the Cup Finals.

Weird draft in that it looked like it would be the best ever outside of the asterisk '79 draft ... and then a whole bunch of guys ended up peaking before age 25 and dropping off hard. Phaneuf and Richards most notably, but also Vanek, Michalek, Parise, Kesler really faded badly through their late 20s, many through injury. In the end, that first round might not have a single HHOFer, which is extremely unusual - Getzlaf might still have a shot.

Circa 2010 there were 10 guys out of that first round who looked like potential HHOFers.

Reactions: kaiser matias

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Weird draft in that it looked like it would be the best ever outside of the asterisk '79 draft ... and then a whole bunch of guys ended up peaking before age 25 and dropping off hard. Phaneuf and Richards most notably, but also Vanek, Michalek, Parise, Kesler really faded badly through their late 20s, many through injury. In the end, that first round might not have a single HHOFer, which is extremely unusual - Getzlaf might still have a shot.

Circa 2010 there were 10 guys out of that first round who looked like potential HHOFers.
You don't think Fleury, Suter, Staal, Getzlaf and Perry get into the Hall? And Dave Andreychuk is? That's just off the top of my head. The 2003 2nd round has HOFers for sure. It's a hockey hall, not purely an NHL hall. Fleury has 3 cups, Suter has been an incredible player for 18 years, Staal has a cup, 100 point seasons, 1000 points. Seabrook probably rides in there too at one point.

I just looked 12 - 1000 gamers, 10 more with over 600 in just the first. That's incredible isn't it.

Our boy Loui is 12th in scoring from that class. Wild. Needs 30 games to get to 1000. He brings more than Roussell. I hope he gets the silver stick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You don't think Fleury, Suter, Staal, Getzlaf and Perry get into the Hall? And Dave Andreychuk is? That's just off the top of my head. The 2003 2nd round has HOFers for sure. It's a hockey hall, not purely an NHL hall. Fleury has 3 cups, Suter has been an incredible player for 18 years, Staal has a cup, 100 point seasons, 1000 points. Seabrook probably rides in there too at one point.

I just looked 12 - 1000 gamers, 10 more with over 600 in just the first. That's incredible isn't it.

General consensus on the HOH board is that Perry and Staal probably won't and Getzlaf might be a shade better than 50/50. Fleury - who knows. Goalies are weird. Suter is probably too under-the-radar - only 1 post-season All-Star selection, not gaudy offensive totals, never past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I would vote for him but most probably won't - his on-paper resume is weak.

Weber and Bergeron will both get in from the 2nd round, yes.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
General consensus on the HOH board is that Perry and Staal probably won't and Getzlaf might be a shade better than 50/50. Fleury - who knows. Goalies are weird. Suter is probably too under-the-radar - only 1 post-season All-Star selection, not gaudy offensive totals, never past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I would vote for him but most probably won't - his on-paper resume is weak.

Which 1000 point NHLers aren't in? The only one I'm sure on is Theo Fleury.

The Hart doesn't get Perry in? I guess I might have to head over the HOH board for this discussion.

Just perusing that 2003 draft is basically a who's who of the league the last 15 years. Best pick, Joe Pavelski, what a find.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Which 1000 point NHLers aren't in? The only one I'm sure on is Theo Fleury.

The Hart doesn't get Perry in? I guess I might have to head over the HOH board for this discussion.

Just perusing that 2003 draft is basically a who's who of the league the last 15 years. Best pick, Joe Pavelski, what a find.

Fleury
Taylor
Hunter
Nicholls
Bellows
Tkachuk
Roenick
Mogilny
Alfredsson
Elias

Are just off the top of my head. And Alfredsson and Elias are one-team 1000 point guys which has always been a slam dunk - Dave Taylor had been the only guy to score 1000 points with one team to not get in. Alfredsson in particular was a guy I thought would get in very quickly, and he has a stronger resume than Staal.

Reactions: 420Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Suter is probably too under-the-radar - only 1 post-season All-Star selection, not gaudy offensive totals, never past the 2nd round of the playoffs. I would vote for him but most probably won't - his on-paper resume is weak.

Continuing on with this, personally I think Ryan Suter is a better player who has had a better career than Shea Weber. Better skater, better with the puck on his stick, more consistently reliable defensively.

But Weber was a lot flashier player with big hitz and big slapshots and 20 goalz, and that translated to several postseason All-Star selections. And as a 4x postseason All-Star, his resume fits in with past HHOF selections but Suter's does not.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yost: Calgary Flames might have found another dominant defensive pairing - TSN.ca

Really good piece in TSN of just how good the Hanifin-Tanev been for the Flames. On the ice for 1 ES goal against , 60% corsi for, 70% xGoals for, *while getting buried in deployment, with majority d-zone starts*. Hurts, but it's nice to see Tanev get some of the recognition he's long deserved.
Yeah but by year 4 he would be injured and banged up too much so we dodged a bullet there. Meanwhile Myers luckily will look good for the remaining 4 years of his contract

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Fleury is a hall of fame lock, can't believe anyone would even question that. Fifth all time in wins good shot to end up third, three cup wins and other finals appearances, high career save percentage, high career shutouts.

Easy first ballot entrance unless he's pissed off the writers who vote.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya. A lot of players did (unexpectedly) peak early. It's like the game changed or something. It's still a very deep draft where you could throw drafts at a board and come away with an NHL player in the first round.

As for the HOF discussion, I actually think 1-3 of them would get in. It is an interesting debate though. A player like Eric Staal peaked early but had a long career. Won a Cup, appeared in all star games, no individual wards. Chances are his career totals will look better than Henrik's. But Henrik has won the Hart and Art Ross. There are some players with better career offensive totals who are not in the HOF.

Speaking of the Hart trophy, now that Lindros is in, besides Jose Theodore, every single retired player who has won the Hart trophy is in the HHOF thus far. So where does that leave Corey Perry?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It just seems ridiculous to me to base whether you're a hall of famer based on who hockey media voted to all stars teams and major awards.

That's how you get Jon Toews and no Evgeni Malkin in the top 100 players.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Fleury is a hall of fame lock, can't believe anyone would even question that. Fifth all time in wins good shot to end up third, three cup wins and other finals appearances, high career save percentage, high career shutouts.

He's never won a Vezina or even been a finalist. He was the goaltender in net for 1 of his team's Cup clinching wins. Certainly some question marks there.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He's never won a Vezina or even been a finalist. He was the goaltender in net for 1 of his team's Cup clinching wins. Certainly some question marks there.
Guy certainly looked like Jacques Plante in his prime when he was ‘on’ but also looked liked Dan Cloutier at his worst sometimes. At least from my POV. Certainly many times more good than bad; but to me, not often average.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Guy certainly looked like Jacques Plante in his prime when he was ‘on’ but also looked liked Dan Cloutier at his worst sometimes. At least from my POV. Certainly many times more good than bad; but to me, not often average.

Fleury is *highly* questionable.

As noted, 0 post-season All-Star selections, 0 times a Vezina finalist. If inducted, that would make him a *massive* outlier.

He's always had a high pedigree and name value for being a #1 pick + the goalie on the Crosby/Malkin teams, but when you look at his career as a whole, it looks closer to something between Mike Richter and Chris Osgood than it does to the actual elite HHOF guys like Brodeur/Roy/Belfour/Hasek.

The standards on goalies have traditionally been higher than for position players. Richter, Vernon, Barrasso, Joseph all not in.

GSAA is an interesting new stat that is probably as close as you can get to a WAR stat for goalies - basically it's the amount of goals 'saved' by how far +/- your save % was to the league average. For their careers, the recent HHOF guys (and Luongo, who will get in) stand out from the pack :

Roy - 460
Hasek - 412
Luongo - 270
Brodeur - 206
Belfour - 173

Joseph - 126
Price - 110
Richter - 109
Kolzig - 99

Fleury - 46
Osgood - -15 (although he was at +25 until his last two terrible seasons)
Vernon - -34 (!)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It just seems ridiculous to me to base whether you're a hall of famer based on who hockey media voted to all stars teams and major awards.

That's how you get Jon Toews and no Evgeni Malkin in the top 100 players.

?

Malkin destroys Toews in terms of awards/AS voting.

Malkin
- 3x 1st Team All-Star
- 1x Hart Trophy, 2x Hart runner-up
- 1x Calder
- 1x Conn Smythe

Toews
- 1x 2nd Team All-Star
- 1x Conn Smythe
- 1x Selke
- 0x Hart Finalist, best finish 4th.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
?

Malkin destroys Toews in terms of awards/AS voting.

Malkin
- 3x 1st Team All-Star
- 1x Hart Trophy, 2x Hart runner-up
- 1x Calder
- 1x Conn Smythe

Toews
- 1x 2nd Team All-Star
- 1x Conn Smythe
- 1x Selke
- 0x Hart Finalist, best finish 4th.
The point was not about their awards voting but that the same folks would leave Malkin off a list in place of Toews because reasons.

Same folks gave Corey Perry a Hart because they were loathed to give it to the deserving because reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad